PDA

View Full Version : Mineral spots

amcpacer
09-17-2007, 01:34 AM
How do I remove mineral deposits from windows and paint. My car came from a guy that had well water. He washed the car with it regularly. The back window and side windows have wicked mineral circles. I got some NoTouch brand mineral deposit remover from Napa and it did not help the slightest bit.

89ShelbyGuy
09-17-2007, 04:16 PM
well, the way i would do it, is wet sand with 1500 grit sand paper, then buff and polish out.

Turbodave
09-17-2007, 04:23 PM
I have hard water at my house, don't have problems with spots on the car, but on the glass shower doors the best thing to get rid of the spots has been a cleaner called Kaboom (purple bottle with a green sprayer). That stuff works better than CLR - Lime away or any of the other items I've tried and it doesn't have horrible fumes that will knock you out either. Not sure how harsh it would be on paint, but on glass and ceramic it works great.

Another option for the glass, 00 grade steel wool works well at removing overspray and other dirt, so it would probably be effective on water spots as well.

WVRampage
09-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Clay bar works wonders,it will also remove overspray.

puppet
09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Try vinegar and steel wool.

RoadWarrior222
09-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Try vinegar and steel wool.

+1

Pickling vinegar is stronger if you go buy some especially.

Oh, btw on the paint you might be looking at something underneath whatever wax is on it, so you might have to get a wax stripper to it first.

amcpacer
09-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Great advice!

I think the Acetic Acid and steel wool will be my first attempt.