PDA

View Full Version : Made an error, Code 43

LowSL2
09-16-2007, 08:08 PM
So, I was playing around with my OTC 4000e scanner today after I fixed my TPS (pins were loose). I went into a menu that I shouldn't have and hit enter instead of mode to exit. Then there was a huge backfire of some sort that scared the crap out of me. I looked everything over and tried to start the engine and it wouldn't start. I went through the menus and it looks like I went into the spark test menu. Oops..

I pulled the codes. Had 43 twice. Ignition Coil #1 and #2 primary circuit. Then I had a code 53 SCI fault. :eek:

I pulled the spark plug wires from the coil and checked for spark. It was a little weak, but you could see it spark across the coil towers.

Using my meter I checked the coil primary resistance and had 0.5Ω for both. Then I checked secondary resistance and had 14KΩ for 1&4 and had 15KΩ for 2&3. Within spec according to the FSM.

I pulled the plugs and had fuel on all four of them. So I assumed the fuel injectors were spraying during crank. I then ruled out cam and crank sensors.

I left the plugs out, unplugged the injector harness and cranked the engine a for a few seconds to help clear the cylinders out of any extra fuel.

So I put everything back together and it started. But now I have a CEL on all the time. Code 43 Ignition Coil #1 Primary Circuit.

Now the question I have is, did I totally f-ck up? I think I either fried my coil or fried something in the SBEC. Has anyone encountered something like this before? Anyone have any recommendations?

The car seems to run just fine. Just has the CEL on all the time.

LowSL2
09-16-2007, 10:22 PM
I followed the wires from the SBEC to the coil and everything is good. No corrosion, they're all greased up. Resistance on the primary side is a little high. 1.4-1.5Ω. Maybe that's what the SBEC is freaking out about?

Or I fried the SBEC... We'll see. Drives fine. I'll see if I can borrow my friends coil from his SRT to do some troubleshooting. Gotta find a connector first... ugh... I hate this car.

turbovanmanČ
09-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Check out this thread from Ken-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17033&highlight=TIII+coil

According to your Primary findings, your coil is junk.

LowSL2
09-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Good find. I hope it's just the coil.

LowSL2
10-02-2007, 05:54 PM
I quit. Spent $100 on a new coil and it ohms out exactly the same as the stock one. Cleared the codes, started the engine and the code came right back. So it's probably the SMEC. Anyone have a used one they're willing to sell me for not as much as Cindy? I'm ready to sell the car now. This is supposed to be my 'dream car' and it's turned into a f-ing nightmare.

iTurbo
10-02-2007, 05:57 PM
I quit. Spent $100 on a new coil and it ohms out exactly the same as the stock one. Cleared the codes, started the engine and the code came right back. So it's probably the SMEC. Anyone have a used one they're willing to sell me for not as much as Cindy? I'm ready to sell the car now. This is supposed to be my 'dream car' and it's turned into a f-ing nightmare.

Curious, do you have an underdrive pulley installed? Or low system voltage at idle?

LowSL2
10-03-2007, 05:07 AM
Curious, do you have an underdrive pulley installed? Or low system voltage at idle?

No underdrive pulley. And I've got 12V at startup.

If anyone has or knows where to get a R/T ECU, let me know!

iTurbo
10-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Sometimes I get a code 43 on my R/T if the engine is idling with the headlights, stereo going etc..I have an UDP installed and the voltage drops at idle and after a minute or two the CEL comes on and the OTC decribes the code 43 as "Ignition interface 1". Sounds like yours is describing a primary circuit failure inside the SBEC itself. Good luck with finding one. They seem to turn up on eBay regularly.

turbovanmanČ
10-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Sometimes I get a code 43 on my R/T if the engine is idling with the headlights, stereo going etc..I have an UDP installed and the voltage drops at idle and after a minute or two the CEL comes on and the OTC decribes the code 43 as "Ignition interface 1". Sounds like yours is describing a primary circuit failure inside the SBEC itself. Good luck with finding one. They seem to turn up on eBay regularly.

There not scarce, dealer has a few, Cindy a few more, ;)

LowSL2
10-04-2007, 04:41 AM
Yeah, they're available. At a premium price too...

turbovanmanČ
10-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah, they're available. At a premium price too...

So are used, ;)

LowSL2
10-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Anyone tried to get their ECU repaired?

turbovanmanČ
10-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Anyone tried to get their ECU repaired?

I have a local guy that fixes them but it also depends on what goes. Your looking at $100 or so to try to fix it and $200 or more if he knows whats wrong and fixes it.

LowSL2
10-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Jeez... I'd be better off spending an extra hundred and getting a brand new one from Cindy.