PDA

View Full Version : TIII waterpump differences? Also now a deflector thread too!

turbovanmanČ
09-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Ok, Mopar lists a seperate number, the aftermarket lists all the same. I got a TIII pump and compared to my 8 valve pump and honestly, can't tell the difference. The only one I see is the TIII use's and O-ring and the 8 valve uses a gasket, big whoop.

iTurbo
09-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Aside from the pulley, deflector and spacer, I cannot tell any difference. I have compared a known TIII water pump housing to a '91 2.5 TBI water pump housing and both had the same part # cast into them.

turbovanmanČ
09-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Aside from the pulley, deflector and spacer, I cannot tell any difference. I have compared a known TIII water pump housing to a '91 2.5 TBI water pump housing and both had the same part # cast into them.

spacer?

Lotashelbys
09-15-2007, 11:29 PM
spacer?

Ya,the factory one is an aluminum washer but I like to use a 3/8 flat washer. Just make sure the thinkness is close to the same as the deflector. Not using a spacer *could* crank the housing when you tighten it down.

As for the WP,Jeremy is right ANY commonblock housing will work and any 90+ pump will work. You just need the TIII specific pulley if you are running the stock TIII serp setup:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
09-16-2007, 01:08 AM
Pics?

86Shelby
09-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Pics of the deflector or spacer? The spacer is simply a washer roughly 1/8" thick; maybe a little thinner. I'll see if I can round up my deflector in a llittle bit to get a pic.

Thanks for asking this question, Simon. I have a brand new pump that's been sitting in my garage for a while and hoped I could use it.

turbovanmanČ
09-17-2007, 12:17 AM
No problem on the question. I just couldn't figure out why Dodge lists a seperate pump and comparing them in person, they look the same.

Pics of both, I haven't seen the deflector and I have a TIII waterpump and housing and dont' see the spacer either.

Can you run it without the deflector?

I've seen this before and its supposed to free up HP and reduce cavitation, you remove every 2nd impeller/fin?

86Shelby
09-17-2007, 11:23 AM
The pic up load isn't working right now. Just stalls out before you get to the 'process now' screen. I'll try uploading a pic or two of the diverter tonight after work.

bansheenut420
09-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Glad I saw this, I was wondering the same thing after getting a 2.2 water pump on ebay.
Turbovanman, You will want that deflector in there. I cant remember the exact reason, but its caused problems every time its been taken out that I have read about. I think it has something to do with really, really uneven flow towards the back of the block. Could be wrong though...

Turbo224
09-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Glad I saw this, I was wondering the same thing after getting a 2.2 water pump on ebay.
Turbovanman, You will want that deflector in there. I cant remember the exact reason, but its caused problems every time its been taken out that I have read about. I think it has something to do with really, really uneven flow towards the back of the block. Could be wrong though...

I am pretty sure the deflector plate was chryslers own #4 coolant mod. It simply helps direct more coolant toward the #4 cylinder.

turbovanmanČ
09-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Ok, found the deflector. The housing I got with a bunch of TIII stuff is wrong, it has no deflector and the housing takes an o-ring. I took off the wp housing off my TIII engine and its wedged at the top and theres no o-ring. I also noticed that they don't have the bump in the coolant passaged like the 8 valve block does.

Still can't see what spacer?

bansheenut420
09-17-2007, 10:04 PM
The spacer is on the stud that the water pump sits on. They put it in there because of the deflector plate. It just a thick looking washer. And you probably want the housing with the spot for the o-ring. My FSM said to use an o-ring from the pump housing to the deflector, and then mopar anaerobic sealer from the deflector to the block.

86Shelby
09-17-2007, 10:04 PM
The spacer is for the lone bottom bolt- pump housing to block. It's the same thickness as the deflector. It is there so the housing will still mount flush and square to the block. it's nothing fancy. Go through your washer selection and find one that'll work.

turbovanmanČ
09-17-2007, 11:32 PM
The spacer is on the stud that the water pump sits on. They put it in there because of the deflector plate. It just a thick looking washer. And you probably want the housing with the spot for the o-ring. My FSM said to use an o-ring from the pump housing to the deflector, and then mopar anaerobic sealer from the deflector to the block.

Ok, then I have a bastard deflector as on this model, its part of the wp housing and can't be removed. I'll snap a pic.

The spacer is for the lone bottom bolt- pump housing to block. It's the same thickness as the deflector. It is there so the housing will still mount flush and square to the block. it's nothing fancy. Go through your washer selection and find one that'll work.

Totally understand but see above hence my confusion.

turbovanmanČ
09-18-2007, 03:46 AM
Ok, heres my deflector-

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/TIII%20engine%20build%20pics/Canoncamerapics036.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/TIII%20engine%20build%20pics/Canoncamerapics037.jpg

Turbodave
09-18-2007, 10:47 AM
You sure that under all that crud it's not a seperate piece? Looks like it's just stuck on there to me.

Turbo224
09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
It probably is. Mine was stuck to the pump housing pretty well when I pulled it off. But there should still be an o-ring between the pump and the plate. The plate sits flush between the block and pump.

turbovanmanČ
09-18-2007, 12:05 PM
You sure that under all that crud it's not a seperate piece? Looks like it's just stuck on there to me.

Nope, you can see the locators cast into the housing.

Anyone have other pictures of there deflectors?

Will this work?

iTurbo
09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Deflector and spacer

http://www.turbosedan.com/spirit/DSC03457.JPG

turbovanmanČ
09-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Ok, wow, what a difference cleaning a part and seeing other pics make. Yep, mine is just like that. I cleaned up the wp housing and sure enough, its a seperate piece, :D

Turbodave
09-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok, wow, what a difference cleaning a part and seeing other pics make. Yep, mine is just like that. I cleaned up the wp housing and sure enough, its a seperate piece, :D

:clap: :nod:

mobyrich
09-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Where the t-lll pulley attaches to the t-lll water pump is different than any other pump, so you can't switch pulleys. Did buy a pump from dealer though......Rich

turbovanmanČ
09-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Where the t-lll pulley attaches to the t-lll water pump is different than any other pump, so you can't switch pulleys. Did buy a pump from dealer though......Rich

Yeah, my 89 pump has a smaller flange but the 91 pump I got for an 8 valve has the correct flange for the TIII pulley.

iTurbo
09-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Not true, the pulley bolts up just like any other common block pump. It IS different than the pre-common block pump though.

turbovanmanČ
09-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Not true, the pulley bolts up just like any other common block pump. It IS different than the pre-common block pump though.

Nope, my 89 has a much smaller bolt diameter. 89 also has a different part number and 90 and up have another part number.

iTurbo
09-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Hrrmm, so '89 is unique? Wierd.

Lotashelbys
09-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Yes,89 is the only year of the CB pump with the small bolt pattern. All pumps 90+ will work with the TIII pulley:thumb: