PDA

View Full Version : Converting T1 to a T2 ?

WOP'R
02-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I just finished helping to install a T2 Garrett to replace a T1 Mitsu in '90 2.5 Shadow, and have some issues.

The newly installed T2 only has one nipple which I hooked up to the cruise control, as opposed to the T1 that had 2 nipples, one went to the cruise control and the other nipple Teed off into the Wastegate and Wastegate solenoid.

Its running weird right now, so I am wondering how can I make it so that the computer controls the boost ??

Basically, I want to track my mistake and revert back to stock setup BUT with a T2 instead and go from there.

thanks

Dave
02-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Okay take the line from the turbo and just attach it to the wastegate. Then take a line and tee it into the vaccum lines close to the intake manifold nipple and run that to the cruise.

Rampage16V
02-10-2006, 10:54 PM
the wastegate routine is completely different between the mitz turbo and a TII Garret. your best bet would be to install a grainger valve and use that instead of the computer.

WOP'R
02-10-2006, 11:11 PM
so what you are saying is to hook the cruise control directly to the manifold ?

well today, what i did was that i took the line coming from both the turbo and the wastegate and teed them to the wastegate solenoid --> converted back to stock form. However, when i take it for a boot around the block, my boost gauge is telling me im still running close to 20psi (of course this is impossible with the stock computer that will cut out at 14.7psi), BUT I dont feel anything even close to that. Seems that there is barely any power at all.

tomorrow morning i will hook the turbo directly to the wastegate (this should only give me a max of 5psi) and see if that solves anything at all.

WOP'R
02-10-2006, 11:13 PM
the wastegate routine is completely different between the mitz turbo and a TII Garret. your best bet would be to install a grainger valve and use that instead of the computer.

yea, thats what i initially tried, but there was no power and my boost gauge again was telling me that i was getting 20psi and 15vac at idle.

GLHNSLHT2
02-10-2006, 11:18 PM
it's easy to hook up. What you need is a line running between the intake and the wastegate actuator on the turbo. In that line install a T and run it to the wastegate solenoid and hook it up to the correct port according to the vaccum diagram. A mitsu boost control routine bleeds the boost signal off to raise boost. While a garrett restricts the boost signal to the turbo until the boost limit is reached then supplies boost to the turbo actuator, like a grainger valve works. It might take a bit for the car to learn the boost on the car. Reset the puter and go for a drive bring the boost up slowly giving the computer a chance to catch it or raise it. Hopefully you have a boost gauge in teh car and an a/f meter.