PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

Turbo_ES
09-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Hi I have a 90' Daytona ES. I've always had these following...effects, but have always dismissed them as "that must be normal." First off, my volt gauge is always at 13.5V, and when something turns on i.e. Break lights, turn signal or cooling fan etc., the needle drops to 12.5V for half a second then returns to 13.5V. I'm not an expert but isn't there supposed to be a constant 14V? Second, my temperature gauge usually shows 1/4 as normal temperature and when I boost hard it usually increases to 1/2. That sounds good to me but lately its been hanging just above 1/2 when I'm driving calmly. It will stay at just above 1/2 for long periods then cool to 1/4. YET if I stop at a light or pull over the temp will come down to 1/4 like it should be. Then fan is working and I don't hear any squealing from the water pump. Today I felt the difference between the two cooling pipes and the top one was very hot! The bottom was defiantly not as hot, which I understand should happen but I'm curious if the radiator is that effective or the water pump isn't working. Third problem has troubled me for a while, backfiring. It backfired with the crappy restrictive piping it had on before (although not as often when decelerating, mainly when at idle). I have a 2.5" straight pipe with a resonator at the end now and it backfires when I decelerate and when at idle. I can deal with the fact that with less backpressure during deceleration will cause backfiring but what about idle? My spark plugs seem to always have white blisters from being too hot such as having too lean fuel mixture. I’ve checked my timing and it is at 12˚. Is it possible to get backfiring at idle if the mixture is too lean? http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k109/Mustangbane/IMG_0015.jpg