PDA

View Full Version : So, now I know what a 6,100 mile GLHS looks like.

86Shelby
09-13-2007, 12:26 PM
A friend tipped me off to an '86 GLHS at a local dealership in town. I went to look at it this morning and nearly wet myself. #326 is nearly perfect. The foam on the solenoid bank on the LF strut is falling apart and the B-pillar trim is a little yellow. The only rust I could find was on the rotors & drums and a minimal amount on the e-brake cable casing. You could wipe the rust off the cable casing with an oil soaked rag. Still has the Gatorbacks on it with the little nubbins on the edge of the tread. It's not for sale, it's a customer car. I find it neat that it was sold at the same dealerhsip as my old GLHS, Ken Morehead Dodge in Omaha. Sorry, no pics. The service dept. wouldn't allow me to bring in my camera. I'll see what I can do to get a couple.

BadAssPerformance
09-13-2007, 01:54 PM
How much? :D

And I know you said you couldn't but...

:needpics1:

86Shelby
09-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Ok, I hope these work for ya. I can't do anything with rehosting pics on my computer at work. Not the best bics, but they are something. The lighting in the building is crap and definitely makes it look mediocre. The bugs on the front really show up, but it just got done with a 50 mile tow to Lincoln. Oh, my bad, it has 6,215 miles. :) Apparently the owner is finicky with how it's treated. When they brough it inside it had to be pushed and they aren't allowed to test drive it. Can't say I blame him.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/glhs326.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/glhs326-3.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/glhs326-2.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/glhs326-4.jpg

tryingbe
09-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Doesn't work.
Have to log in to see pics.

Murphy
09-13-2007, 06:11 PM
host them here in the gallery?

Marcus86GLHS
09-14-2007, 07:14 AM
thanks for the pix, more?

good reference shot of the unmolested engine bay area, lots of good info there. i personally have seen only one 86S with less mileage, Dominic Papa's #015 with 5,200 miles.

the battery on #326 looks to be identical as the correct '86 part based on the duel raised caps and the black top but i cant tell for sure. maybe you can shoot a close up of that battery? to find a 1986 2.2L turbo battery would be great.

so its there for repairs only? not for sale?

i hope you can speak w/ the owner and suggest he visit this site.

86Shelby
09-14-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm doing my best to try to get in touch with the owner, and get more pics. I didn't take those pics, one of the techs did that quickie for me. The flash really made the car look mediocre.

The dealership is very respectful of thier clients and is hesitant to let me take pics. I don't want to impose too much as a very good friend just landed a great position in the service dept and I'd hate to see my actions reflect poorly on him.

I really want to get some real good pics of the undercarriage and the engine bay. Those are #1 on the list. I'll drop off a card tomorrow morning.

Directconnection
09-14-2007, 07:09 PM
i hope you can speak w/ the owner and suggest he visit this site.

Too bad we don't have a printable Turbo-Mopar.com card for us members to plop onto windshields of unsuspecting TM owners. Sucks writing a note or talking to someone at a parking lot about their car like I am a ghey stalker making up anything off the top of my head for conversation. Been there...done that. Instead, a simple printable card of this forum can speak more volumes (and be less scary) than I can trying to cram 20 years of TM stories in 2 minutes.:confused:

86Shelby
09-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Steve, we do have those cards! Thanks for reminding me!!!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202&highlight=card

Directconnection
09-15-2007, 01:03 AM
A touch sterile, but thanks for reminding me as I remember them now.

86Shelby
09-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Ok, I was able to get some pics this morning. I didn't concentrate on the outside, or the interior much. We all know what nice paint looks like and where the decals go. Most of the pics are under the hood and the undercarriage since all the stickers, paint marks, etc are still there and legible. For the sake of the 56k folks, just check out my gallery.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=727

The car is in need of a good detail job. There are water spots everywhere that really jump out in the photos.

I only had a couple minutes to get these done....and afterwards realized I had my camera on the lowest resolution setting. :( I do not have any higher resolution than what is in the gallery.

Turbodave
09-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Good pics Ray :thumb:

Those will be useful as a reference when I restore #107 and #420 eventually.

Marcus86GLHS
09-15-2007, 03:59 PM
wow great pix thanks so much for posting these! valuable for the resto of these cars.

i really hope the owner will join us here at TM.com i got many q's for him.

like the battery, did you note that the positive and negative cables are on the wrong side? neg should be passenger side not drivers side, or.....maybe there were exceptions? the battery does not appear like a '86 unit maybe he got something close and just swapped the cable position?

this car even has the rad worm clamps indexed right i never see this. bet those hoses have never been touched.

and did you notice the different color tags on the axles? i was always under the knowledge all 86S's came with orange tags on the axles. maybe this isnt so?

did u notice the strut rods appear to be black, not chrome, or have some sort of black covering over the strut rod.....i dont know what this is. gotta be original, but what is it?

even the dipstick tube and stick are finished correct, i rarely see this on an omni. looks like original plug wires also.

what a great car. thanx for sharing.

86Shelby
09-15-2007, 05:50 PM
The strut shafts are chrome. They just appear black in the pics. Likely reflecting the black from the boot.

One thing I noticed on this car that I thought was just the P.O. doing on mine was the red paint on the rear drums. There was also red paint on the front discs, axle ends & nut retainers, etc. Basically the same type of marking as the rear. I do remember the red paint on the front end of my car when I replaced the rotors & axles.

Now I finally know what that ugly spot on my old valve cover was. It was the leftover adhesive marks from the Mobil 1 plaque.

Marcus86GLHS
09-15-2007, 06:07 PM
"...The strut shafts are chrome. They just appear black in the pics. Likely reflecting the black from the boot........"

take a look at pix IMG_6899.

thats no reflection. it looks like some sort of covering over the strut rod, i have never seen this before, i wonder what it is.

Dodgeglht
09-16-2007, 02:06 PM
No offence, but if 86Shelby saw the car & says the strut shafts are chrome, then he would know, regardless of what the pics show. As for the battery, I'd say it has been replaced. There is absolutely NO WAY a battery from 1986 would stil be useable. It would have long since been sulfated or just dead from use. The life span of newer batteries is only 5-7 years, so 21 years for a battery in 86 is about 99% impossible.

86Shelby
09-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Tha battery was a plain jane aftermarket replacement.

Marcus86GLHS
09-17-2007, 05:26 AM
thanks again Ray.

reviewing my old '86 photos this car wouldve got a battery w/ black top, white case, and two rectangular raised vent caps and neg post on the pass side. if i could find one of those i'd re-core it for a gem car like #326.

roachjuice
09-18-2007, 07:05 AM
never driven never enjoyed. nice car but the guy never drives it.

justa4
09-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Whats the lowest miliage 87 besides Shelby's?

4 l-bodies
09-19-2007, 03:01 PM
never driven never enjoyed. nice car but the guy never drives it.

Nor does he detail it. :( Nice car, but doesn't it make you appreciate something either detailed or restored? My 16k GLHT I sold to Quack was detailed but unrestored. It was way way cleaner than that car. Thanks for your time to take and post pics for us to look at.
Todd

Marcus86GLHS
09-19-2007, 04:15 PM
TODD i was thinking same. Over here in New Britian, CT, theres a 86S with 5,200 miles still in the hands of the original owner, who owns a car dealership that was an authorized Shelby dealer (Papas Dodge).....his 86S #015 is super original, a true survivor, but filthy top to bottom. No attention to detail at all. Every sqaure inch of it is filthy... inside, outside, underhood, etc. He has a sign on the car that reads, "Estimated value: $25,000"

wish he's break free of 5 bucks for his "$25,000 omni" and buy some cleaning materials.

experience has taught me that low mileage does not necessarily equate to great condition. but low mileage is a great attribute to have thats for sure.

the GLHS in this thread only needs some simple TLC to be king of the hill.

86Shelby
09-19-2007, 04:49 PM
It is true that the car certainly could use some good cleaning to be near perfect. It's had the typical wash & quick detail job- exterior and interior only.

I don't see it as a huge detraction from the overall car though. Yes, it would mean some extra elbow grease to get rid of some water spots for me if I purchased it. On the other hand not extensively detailing it has likley left all those little stickers in near pristine condition. It's the first GLHS I've came across where the modification sticker in the door is 100% legible, serisously no flaws. There's no wrinkling of the emissions stickers or color fading due to an over achiving underhood detail.

Bottom line for me: it's 21 years old and has some patina which I find attractive.

johnl
09-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks very much Ray. Truly appreciated.

Maybe the red paint on the drums and the discs is the same as the red paint on the struts and shocks - a visual confirmation that the part was tightened to spec and applied by the employees at Whittier after doing so.

boneyardracing
09-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Wow I hope I can find something like that someday. Milage is definately not an indicator of condition the charger only has 63,xxxmi and it is horriable, the acr has 185,xxxmi and dosent have a spec of rust or anything anywhere.