PDA

View Full Version : found another source for decals

rich tideswell
09-13-2007, 08:07 AM
http://www.stencilsandstripes.com/pr_dodge&plym_misc.asp

they don't have everything but they do have csx and omni

Clay
09-13-2007, 02:42 PM
but, they aren't approved by Shelby, which Positive Impressions are.

Just FYI.

GLHS592
09-13-2007, 06:12 PM
...and they're much more expensive.

stereo
09-19-2007, 03:12 PM
hey, if they can get the lower door decals going for the thrifty cars, i'll pay more. Positive impression has been saying they'll do it for years, but still no headway. He has the 87 ones. All you gotta do is add a T and change the color.

overlordsshadow
09-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Don't you guys have shops in town that can do whatever damn decal you would like?

OMNI-Potent
09-19-2007, 04:01 PM

Just FYI.

That's a good point. I'm not sure if they are paying a residual check to Chrysler every month (they probably are, since there is a lot of Chrysler stuff on their website). There may be a loophole where they are allowed to sell Shelby items. For example, there is a well know muscle car shop that cuts a check to Chrysler every month. Because of that they have use to the Pentastar, they can put part numbers on items and say they are official Chrysler endorsed reproduction items.

I don't know if they could fight that with Shelby, chances are they might lose the battle. But, who knows what legal mobojumbo there is in the contract.

I was thinking of contacting them and asking if they can sell them.

RoadWarrior222
09-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Don't you guys have shops in town that can do whatever damn decal you would like?

I've got a scheme for doing any decal I like at home, up to about 8x11. :p

coles notes: put good coat clear laquer on (water activated) self adhesive paper, print image on, put more laquer on top, cut out, release backing in warm slightly soapy water, take out and slide onto car... Experimentation required with type of printer ink, type and thickness of laquer, and application technique for best results. Could maybe print black and white outline and hand fill with color if you wanted. (Can't get some colors solid enough from a printer sometimes)

Clay
09-20-2007, 09:37 AM

yup, and Im good friends with one of the bigger shops in town. I can guarentee you they would be more expensive for a one time run item than what you can buy these for from vendors that already make them.

overlordsshadow
09-20-2007, 09:52 AM
yup, and Im good friends with one of the bigger shops in town. I can guarentee you they would be more expensive for a one time run item than what you can buy these for from vendors that already make them.

Ah, and there would be the point.

devlish
09-20-2007, 10:26 AM
i run a vinyl shop.... and yes, a one time run will incur a setup charge... usually around the $50/hour range. not to mention the need for specific pictures to redesign from, or the exact decal you want duplicated. i'd think nothing of getting $100-$150+ for the layout of GLHS decals for an entire car, starting from scratch. not to mention, the customer would need to supply excellent pictures with measurements, or the exact decal in person, to duplicate. i'd get the money up front as well, and even more $ especially if i have to do the leg work on finding the correct decals or pics.

pimpinlebaron
09-28-2007, 06:18 PM
I got the '89 CSX decals from positive impressions, they are exact to the originals. $80 for the set of 5 decals, plus $20 for the gold SHELBY windsheild decal, shipping included.

rare_ram
09-29-2007, 12:36 AM
I'll be getting mine from Positive Impressions too.

LaserXT1986
10-21-2007, 02:35 AM

Just FYI.

Well let me give you some FYI's about Positive Impressions. Dave doesnt sell all exclusive 3M products anymore either, as he originally started out doing (and listed in his original catalogs, which I still have). For the record, ALL factory Shelby decals were done on 3M Automotive grade vinyl. He's cutback on quality throughout the years to save a buck, something I ASSURE you would cause Shelby to not be happy when being licensed.

How do I know?

Because I used to do work FOR him. I did the GLHS kits for him (both 86 and 87) and did them in the exact same 3M product as the factory. This was about 5 years ago. After 2 small size runs, he wanted me to reduce my price. I told him I was doing it for cost plus 5%, as a courtesy to his supplying the hobby (I wont tell you how much that was, but it was FAR FAR FAR below his selling price). He opted with another source, and in the process switched to a non-3M vinyl (I wouldnt do that).

How do I know? Because someone in my car club ordered one, and asked me to install it for him. I saw it first hand. I also saw the windshield decals. The were NOT printed onto clear vinyl (as per the factory), but rather, onto blue vinyl with black-printed lines (to simulate showing only blue strobe). Tim Costello can back me up on this, because I re-did the CORRECT clear vinyl decal for his CSX-vert clone. Additionally, Brian Slowe bought a Daytona Shelby kitfor his red 90 Daytona Shelby. It was NOT 3M, but rather, a cheaper grade of vinyl. HOWEVER, the price Brian got charged was the SAME as the catalog I have, which stated it WAS a 3M product. Trust me (and Brian can vouch) -- it was not.

Dave S. took shortcuts. Both in quality, and doing it correctly. I could literally waste another 10 minutes of reading time of products in his line that are no longer factory correct, but are of "shortcut" variety. But onto the CSX decals at hand:

In 2004-2005, Dave approached me about the CSX and CSX-T doorsill decals. I gave him a price. He wanted to bring it down, again, by taking shortcuts, lessening the quality, etc. I told him I would not sacrifice quality, because even tho HE may be selling it with HIS name, it's still MY reputation. He didn't want to put up the initial funds (which were for a small "first run" order). With a NOMINAL markup of my prices, he would have made that money back in a very short time, with *plenty* left over to profit on future sales of that intial run. Again, I won't tell you my prices to him, but if his GLHS kit markups were any clue of how much he marked up my stuff, he would have made a fortune, and they would have been correctly made.

Devilish made a good point about how much time it would take the average shop, without the proper artwork. His numbers are pretty close for setup fees, etc., for a smaller shop. Larger shops would tend to cost even more, unless you were the owner. In my case, I am.

My company has been in business since 1964, I'm second generation. We are a multi-million dollar corporation servicing national & international accounts. We are not a "strip-mall franchise shop". My plant is over 15,000 sq ft., with just about every type of machine you can imagine for our industry. Vinyl related work (decals, screen printing, digital printing) represent about 15% of our annual sales, and I assure you that 15% is more than most "vinyl only" shops do in a year.

I have the artwork to do these decals (I have original NOS decals that are on loan to me by a fellow club member). I have the manufacturing capability. And since I own the company, I can dictate how much they will cost. Which means I could keep it reasonable enough to give back to the hobby and not "rape" anyone. The only thing I haven't done, simply through lack of time, is contact Shelby to get licensed. I was going to several months ago but our backup system crashed right before SDAC 17, and we got swamped when I got back, and have been swamped since. It wouldn't be difficult for me to get licensed. If Dave Salamone can work out of an apartment and not actually "manufacture" anything he does (he doesn't own any equipment), then I assure you it would not be difficult for a company such as mine (or any other well established company, such as the one devlish works for if they have been around awhile).

That all said...is there a strong enough interest to produce these decals? If so, speak up -- I may actually go ahead and get working on this. :D

Edit: For this particular post, I was specifically referring to the "doorsill" decals (CSX-T), when I asked if there was a strong enough interest. Reason being is that they are currently not offered by anyone in so far as I know.

cordes
10-21-2007, 03:03 AM
To be 100% honest, I would like to get a set of repro decals for my 86' GLH Turbo for when it finally gets some paint some day. If you can do it for significantly less than PI, I would probably pick up a set before then to put on for the time being.

LaserXT1986
10-21-2007, 03:14 AM
To be 100% honest, I would like to get a set of repro decals for my 86' GLH Turbo for when it finally gets some paint some day. If you can do it for significantly less than PI, I would probably pick up a set before then to put on for the time being.

Actually, the GLH turbo decals were probably the easiest to reproduce, if the original decals were available for scanning and digitizing. By easiest, I mean in terms of "making" them. I currently don't have those decals to do so, but to be honest, I see kits selling on ebay all the time for prices far cheaper than PI...and while they are not using 3M (I can tell), I don't think Dave S. is anymore, either (at least of the kits I have seen, and what I have been told by others as well).

In fact, here's one on ebay now (I've seen this guy sell these kits before):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Omni-GLH-Turbo-Decal-Sticker-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50446QQihZ014QQitem Z330177245467QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Now I do not know if the "font" used is correct, but to be honest, if that is the only thing incorrect, a shop that HAS original decals should be able to do these for about the same price, not factoring in of course the one time setup charge (unless the shop banked on multiple sales and waived the one time setup fee, which I would do). And they are cheaper than PI by about half.

cordes
10-21-2007, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the link. That is pretty much the price range I am looking for. Something between that and the PI kits price wise would probably be a good price point if it were a top quality item. I would think that you would sell a lot of them for sure.

1FastCSX289
10-21-2007, 09:05 AM
I got the '89 CSX decals from positive impressions, they are exact to the originals. $80 for the set of 5 decals, plus $20 for the gold SHELBY windsheild decal, shipping included.

Only 20 bucks for the windshield decal? I should order one up!:thumb:

stereo
10-21-2007, 04:38 PM
That all said...is there a strong enough interest to produce these decals? If so, speak up -- I may actually go ahead and get working on this. :D

Edit: For this particular post, I was specifically referring to the "doorsill" decals (CSX-T), when I asked if there was a strong enough interest. Reason being is that they are currently not offered by anyone in so far as I know.

:hail: :hail: :hail: Hell Yeah. And to if you could do a run off of the spoiler decal, I'd pay more than the whole PI kit for just those 2. I'll even help you get licensed, don't know how, but anything to help.

devlish
10-21-2007, 11:22 PM
In fact, here's one on ebay now (I've seen this guy sell these kits before):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Omni-GLH-Turbo-Decal-Sticker-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50446QQihZ014QQitem Z330177245467QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Now I do not know if the "font" used is correct, but to be honest, if that is the only thing incorrect, a shop that HAS original decals should be able to do these for about the same price, .

what a joke!!! THOSE ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE REAL DEAL!!! i do replica decals for the GLH Turbo, my first GLHT had the ORIGINAL decals on it, and i duplicated them exactly. yes, i use the correct 3M vinyl for those decals as well. i print the black, just like the factory. Cordes... PM me if you need a GOOD set of GLH decals, not those ebay ones that aren't even the right font.

LasxerXT... i did not know P.I. doesn't even own a machine. wow. interesting. a little history on me for my credibility... i've been working at my shop for 10+ years now, and my family and i just bought it last year. for legal & tax reasons it's under my parents name, even though i'm 27, and run the shop completely. they both have very little to do with it, they have their own careers. it's the oldest sign shop in the area, not huge... but not a fly-by-night strip mall shop either. i'm really trying to grow the business, but some local building code changes have caused me to spend a lot of investing money on a new office/bathroom etc. sucky, but it's gotta be done.

i haven't done much replicating for TD stuff, other than the GLH and only becuase i had one at the time, and now currently have two. i was big into DSMs for a while, and do some minor DSM decals for friends etc.

anyways, like LaserXT mentioned, setup for a small run can be quite large sometimes, but for what PI is selling them for, he should be doing OK. however, i wonder what the cost is to get licensed? if you look into that, PM as i am curious. i have NO intention of doing so, but have some GLH-T vector art that might interest you :D

LaserXT1986
10-22-2007, 12:15 AM
what a joke!!! THOSE ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE REAL DEAL!!! i do replica decals for the GLH Turbo, my first GLHT had the ORIGINAL decals on it, and i duplicated them exactly. yes, i use the correct 3M vinyl for those decals as well. i print the black, just like the factory. Cordes... PM me if you need a GOOD set of GLH decals, not those ebay ones that aren't even the right font.

LasxerXT... i did not know P.I. doesn't even own a machine. wow. interesting. a little history on me for my credibility... i've been working at my shop for 10+ years now, and my family and i just bought it last year. for legal & tax reasons it's under my parents name, even though i'm 27, and run the shop completely. they both have very little to do with it, they have their own careers. it's the oldest sign shop in the area, not huge... but not a fly-by-night strip mall shop either. i'm really trying to grow the business, but some local building code changes have caused me to spend a lot of investing money on a new office/bathroom etc. sucky, but it's gotta be done.

i haven't done much replicating for TD stuff, other than the GLH and only becuase i had one at the time, and now currently have two. i was big into DSMs for a while, and do some minor DSM decals for friends etc.

anyways, like LaserXT mentioned, setup for a small run can be quite large sometimes, but for what PI is selling them for, he should be doing OK. however, i wonder what the cost is to get licensed? if you look into that, PM as i am curious. i have NO intention of doing so, but have some GLH-T vector art that might interest you :D

Hey Devilish,

BTW my name is Dave, but not Dave Salamone :-) Kudos to see another sign guy on here!! I understand completely about the legal and tax reasons. Congrats on taking over :D :D And local code sucks. I was lucky when my company expanded in 1999 into the building we now own, it was a former manufacturing company and had everything "updated" already. Plus, we don't do retail "walk in off the street" sales, so we didn't have to do the handicap entrance, bathroom, etc. But you are right, it SAPS your profit and prevents you from spending that money on things you REALLY need, not things some moron in a suit with a cliboard SAYS you need :(

Yes, Dave had another guy down in Florida doing stuff for him. Back when I did the GLHS kits, I asked him if he needed any other kits done, and he told me that some other guy was "friends" with him, and let Dave use his machines (or did stuff for him while he was there, iI forget). I took that to be he didn't actually own any equipment himself, and he has stated he lives in an apartment with a roomate. Unless you have a VERY large apartment, you can't do this kind of work with the space the machines would take up!!

When things slow down a tad I am going to look into becoming licensed. I'd suggest it for you too Devilish, you "get it" when it comes to doing things "correctly", just by what you said about the GLH kit :)

BTW, what equipment do you have? What does your company specialize in? Shoot me a PM when you get a chance, perhaps I can offer my company's other services to you on a professional level as well :thumb:

devlish
10-22-2007, 10:26 AM
we don't do retail "walk in off the street" sales, so we didn't have to do the handicap entrance, bathroom, etc. But you are right, it SAPS your profit and prevents you from spending that money on things you REALLY need, not things some moron in a suit with a cliboard SAYS you need :( we don't do much 'walk in' sales either, but we needed to have a bathroom that meets handicapped needs and stuff. and not to discrimited against anyone that reads this, but it's a private bathroom, and i really didn't feel like spending the extra $2g's to make it handicapped approved. it's a bunch of bulshit if you ask me. then they made us take down the office and rebuild it with steel studs, becuase the building was classified incorrectly when it was orginally built. the small town we're in claims they "want to help small businesses" but they wouldn't even consider a variance for the wood office structure. even though what we do is not explosive, and there are tons of rolls of paper/vinyl hanging on the walls and a 40ft long work table made of WOOD!!! idiots. ok, thanks for letting me vent.

yes, i might contact you about some larger print stuff, as we were not able to purchase the equipment i wanted to this year, and are stuck with the old Gerber stuff for another year. thankfully, it all works wonderfully!!

LaserXT1986
10-22-2007, 11:22 AM
we don't do much 'walk in' sales either, but we needed to have a bathroom that meets handicapped needs and stuff. and not to discrimited against anyone that reads this, but it's a private bathroom, and i really didn't feel like spending the extra $2g's to make it handicapped approved. it's a bunch of bulshit if you ask me. then they made us take down the office and rebuild it with steel studs, becuase the building was classified incorrectly when it was orginally built. the small town we're in claims they "want to help small businesses" but they wouldn't even consider a variance for the wood office structure. even though what we do is not explosive, and there are tons of rolls of paper/vinyl hanging on the walls and a 40ft long work table made of WOOD!!! idiots. ok, thanks for letting me vent.

yes, i might contact you about some larger print stuff, as we were not able to purchase the equipment i wanted to this year, and are stuck with the old Gerber stuff for another year. thankfully, it all works wonderfully!!

I've been where you are, before I took over the company. Our last building (before 1999) had code issues similiar to yours, with the same "we want to help small business" crap line thrown at us. It sucks big time!!:mad: If it's MY company and I WONT allow "off the street walk in sales", why the HELL do I need to install a handicap bathroom? What makes it worse is that it all depends on the local code -- where we are now doesnt require handicap access, but did require other things that (lucky for us) were already done.

By the way, you have a PM coming your way ;)

DC Turismo
10-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Dave 'I lose to my wife in the quarter mile' Lucidi, :clap:

A question on the door sill decals. Will these be raised lettering like the originals by chance?

In addition, I have PM'd you to show my interest in having YOU do a repro set of decals for my CSX resto. when that time comes. To all of you reading these posts, I can vouch for Mr. Lucidi's HIGH QUALITY, PROFESSIONAL SERVICE within our community. As our Steel City chapter first began back in '05, I ordered a run of club decals for our members. Dave told me they would be at my door on a Friday. He called me to tell me things got backed up and he EXPRESS AIR MAILED THEM OUT TO ME FOR MONDAY AM!!!!!! NO CHARGE. His quality is excellent, and as more and more of us look to restoring these cars, rest assured, we'll be just as picky about as close to original parts to restore them with, and that's why I'm thankful we have Dave Lucidi looking into doing something of this magnitude, as well as Omni-Potent supplying parts that we all can use on restos.

THANKS GUYS!

LaserXT1986
10-31-2007, 01:58 AM
Dave 'I lose to my wife in the quarter mile' Lucidi, :clap:

A question on the door sill decals. Will these be raised lettering like the originals by chance?

In addition, I have PM'd you to show my interest in having YOU do a repro set of decals for my CSX resto. when that time comes. To all of you reading these posts, I can vouch for Mr. Lucidi's HIGH QUALITY, PROFESSIONAL SERVICE within our community. As our Steel City chapter first began back in '05, I ordered a run of club decals for our members. Dave told me they would be at my door on a Friday. He called me to tell me things got backed up and he EXPRESS AIR MAILED THEM OUT TO ME FOR MONDAY AM!!!!!! NO CHARGE. His quality is excellent, and as more and more of us look to restoring these cars, rest assured, we'll be just as picky about as close to original parts to restore them with, and that's why I'm thankful we have Dave Lucidi looking into doing something of this magnitude, as well as Omni-Potent supplying parts that we all can use on restos.

THANKS GUYS!

Thanks for the huge compliments Billy!! Whenever you are ready to tackle the CSX stuff, lemme know!! :thumb:

Regarding the doorsill decals, what I had meant was the "lower door" portion on the OUTSIDE. I know the ones you are talking about....I havent seen them in awhile, but could probably reproduce it if needed. Was the lettering "raised" or was it covered in a high-gloss "dome like" finish?

Turbodave
10-31-2007, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the huge compliments Billy!! Whenever you are ready to tackle the CSX stuff, lemme know!! :thumb:

Regarding the doorsill decals, what I had meant was the "lower door" portion on the OUTSIDE. I know the ones you are talking about....I havent seen them in awhile, but could probably reproduce it if needed. Was the lettering "raised" or was it covered in a high-gloss "dome like" finish?

The doorsill decals Billy is talking about are made of metal that has some of the lettering raised, and some of it flat and they appear to be painted or silk screened? The paint on them chips over time which is usually the biggest problem with them.

On the outer door decals I would like to see just the blue CSX lettering offered as opposed to the big grey sticker that covers the entire door bottom. This would allow the ground effects and lower panel of the door to be painted to match and then the CSX logo put over that. While not original I think it would be a popular choice for guys like me restoring the cars. That would make for an easier to produce decal that is easier to install and probably produces a nicer end result than trying to match the decal and surrounding paint together.

stereo
10-31-2007, 07:03 PM
On the outer door decals I would like to see just the blue CSX lettering offered as opposed to the big grey sticker that covers the entire door bottom. This would allow the ground effects and lower panel of the door to be painted to match and then the CSX logo put over that. While not original I think it would be a popular choice for guys like me restoring the cars. That would make for an easier to produce decal that is easier to install and probably produces a nicer end result than trying to match the decal and surrounding paint together.

That's what I would like to see too. Wouldn't that also make them easier and cheaper to produce?

DC Turismo
10-31-2007, 10:56 PM

No problem Dave. I was talking about the sill plates though. Producing the stickers would be a lot better for guys restoring the cars due to the fact that they could practically find any Shadow sill plate and place the decal over the Chrysler Corp decal, rather than trying to pop or pry the metal tag out.

The doorsill decals Billy is talking about are made of metal that has some of the lettering raised, and some of it flat and they appear to be painted or silk screened? The paint on them chips over time which is usually the biggest problem with them.

Correct me if I'm wrong Dave, but didn't they switch to the stickers in 89, only using the metal plates for 87 and 88? I was informed that stickers were applied over the 'Chrysler Corp.' stickers on the sill plates rather than attaching metal ones, either due to alternative manufacturing or problems arising with the metal ones from falling out, bending, knicking, etc.

The blue SHELBY letters and silver CS symbol are definitely raised however on these stickers that are in my 89.

I'd like to agree with Dave here. That would be best for the overall appearance of the cars.

Mario
10-31-2007, 11:38 PM
I have a NOS 87 GLHS Decal Set. Anyone know the value?

RoadWarrior222
11-01-2007, 01:24 PM
+5 Karma points if you lend 'em out for copying. :D

badandy
11-01-2007, 01:53 PM
I've got the majority of a NOS CSX-T kit however I don't know if I have the lower doors. I would be willing to offer them up for repos to be made of them if it is needed.

Mario
11-01-2007, 03:58 PM
+5 Karma points if you lend 'em out for copying. :D

Nice! So how many am I at now?

rich tideswell
11-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Nice! So how many am I at now?

5 if you lent them out to be copied...