PDA

View Full Version : 1st time at the track

Turbo_Rampage
09-12-2007, 12:12 AM
I took my Rampage to the track last friday for the first time and i had alot of launching problems, but overall it was a fun time. This was the first time i ever went to a 1/4 mile race track and raced and i'm surprised the car made it home after the BAD wheel hop i was having! I ran 3 times and out of those runs i tried 3 different lauches and none of them helped...

This was my 1st run and one of my worst times-

R/T ... .396
60 ... 2.417
330 ... ??? Missing...
1/8 ...10.766
MPH ...73.80
1000 ... 13.688
1/4 ... 16.106
MPH ... 94.30

I launched at 3500RPM and the wheel hop was so bad the upper radaitor bolts came loose and left my radiator hanging, and half my gauges fell out of the dash. I had to lift the throttle in 1st for it to stop.

Here is my fastest time-

R/T ... .412
60 ... 2.654
330 ... ??? Wasn't on my slip, :confused:
1/8 ...10.253
MPH ... 75.72
1000 ...13.138
1/4 ...15.530
MPH ...95.00

This was my 2nd run down the track and i tried launching at 2000RPM to avoid the wheel hop, but it was still violent and i had to lift off the throttle through 1st gear for it to stop, but other then that it was a perfect run down the track shifting at 6000PRM through all the gears and hitting the traps in 4th gear peaking 95MPH.

For the 3rd run i tried easing the clutch out at 4000RPM for the launch, but again the wheel hop was so bad i had to let off again... I lost the lime slip, but i remember i ran a 16.1 at 95MPH again. Oh for all of the runs, i did a quick burnout to clean the tires off.

I dont get what is causing the wheel hop to happen, but when i try launching on the street at those same RPM's i did at the track my car just smokes the tires and goes with no wheel hop. I guess its the stuff they put down at the track to help with traction...

Here is a list of the stuff done to my car-

-Koni adjustable coil over struts with #275 eibach springs (struts set to full soft)
-Poly sway bar and control arm bushings.
-Moog ball joints and tie rod ends.
-Crab rims on basically brand new cooper 205/50/15 summer tires.
The front suspension is all brand new and tight with the best stuff i could buy, so i dont understand why it's doing this... The rear tag axle is flipped from lowering it and has all new bushings and Monroe Sensa-trac shocks, so the rear suspension is really stiff.

For the motor and trans-

-1986 2.2L rebuilt with T2 rods and swirl head.
-1988 TBI roller cam.
-TU Garett T2 style turbo with quick spool.
-MP GLHS stage II computer with MBC set at 14PSI
-+20% injectors and AFPR (Air/Fuel ratio set at 11.5 to 1 @ WOT)
-Base timing 10*
-2 1/2" SV and exhaust right to the back with a flowmaster muffler (no CAT)
-1 peice intake manifold.
-K&N cone filter.
-GLHS radiatior and intercooler.
-T2/T3 clutch.
-Poly motor mounts and solid bobble strut.
-89 A555 with the 3.85FD and open diff.
-91 octane gas (thats all the pumps have around here)

I might be missing a few other things above, but overall i think it would of run low to mid 14's if i could get it to launch properly... with no spare and a full tank of gas it weighs around 2100lbs last time i checked. Does anyone have any ideas why i'm getting wheel hop?

Thanks

BadAssPerformance
09-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Sounds like a decent first trip out... practice makes perfect :thumb:

Vigo
09-12-2007, 01:02 AM
probly the rear most control arm bushings are wasted, allowing a bunch of fore-aft movement of the wheel under power. get the stiffest ones you can.

Turbo_Rampage
09-12-2007, 01:05 AM
probly the rear most control arm bushings are wasted, allowing a bunch of fore-aft movement of the wheel under power. get the stiffest ones you can.

They are Energy Suspension Poly bushings...

I'll jack the car up one of these days and have a look at the front end, because after the races i have i slight rattle in the front end and i'm thinking i pounded out the upper strut mounts.

BadAssPerformance
09-12-2007, 01:06 AM
What kind of cooper tires? and what pressure? Tires make a big difference on wheel hop.

Turbo_Rampage
09-12-2007, 01:11 AM
What kind of cooper tires? and what pressure? Tires make a big difference on wheel hop.

I'll check the brand name of the tires tomorrow... i think they are called starfire or something like that. I was running 32psi because i drove to the track with those tires on.

BadAssPerformance
09-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Maybe they aren't that sticky of a tires, and 32 psi is a little high. Most tracks have an air hose so racers can adjust pressures or fill their tires to go home, might want to check into that for the next trip out.

How were you launching? bog then go? slip the clutch? just launching hard? sidestep?

Vigo
09-12-2007, 07:26 PM
well if your struts arent resisting up and down movement for the first 1/4 or half inch due to sloppy parts, that could definitely create wheelhop. let us know if you find anything in the front suspension.

Turbo_Rampage
09-12-2007, 10:36 PM
How were you launching? bog then go? slip the clutch? just launching hard? sidestep?

I launched hard the first two times, but i never side stepped the clutch, because i didn't feel like towing the car home due to broken axles, :D. The third time i kind of slipped the clutch... it never bogged on any of the passes.

well if your struts arent resisting up and down movement for the first 1/4 or half inch due to sloppy parts, that could definitely create wheelhop. let us know if you find anything in the front suspension.

I'll check this weekend, :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
09-12-2007, 10:44 PM
I never side step either... dont need to. With slicks a hard launch can be good but with street tires some slipping typically works better.

turbovanmanČ
09-13-2007, 05:22 AM
Wheel hop is usually caused by loose suspension but if yours is all tight, its probably the VHT they lay down, cheap summer tires and 32 psi.

WLKivett
09-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Koni adjustable coil over struts with #275 eibach springs (struts set to full soft)

Did you try the run with the struts set to full hard? The strut at full soft might not be capable of controlling a 275# spring.

Best Regards,
Landon Kivett

BadAssPerformance
09-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Wheel hop is usually caused by loose suspension but if yours is all tight, its probably the VHT they lay down, cheap summer tires and 32 psi.

being a little more specific... worn control arm bushings suck with street tires!

mock_glh
09-14-2007, 02:36 PM
32 psi with street tires will not work. They lose traction with even slight unloading and will go into wheel hop easily, especially on a sticky track. I raced with a variety of street tires for many years with my Omni, and learned to run very consistent 2.0-2.1 60 ft. times with a 5 speed. The trick: 18 psi in the tires. Do a good burnout but stop just past the water. Test the traction a few times on the way to the starting line. Then let the flywheel launch the car until it feels hooked up and then stand on it. Once you get the hang of this you'll be surprised how quick and consistent you become.:thumb:

gvare001
01-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Then let the flywheel launch

What does that means, if I may ask, my lord?:)

gti_7
01-08-2008, 01:51 PM
I have always liked your rampage.. found it a few times searching the cardomain sites :)

with the trap speeds your laying down, and with your 60 foot times, you have an easy mid 14 second if not faster car. your best time of 15.5@95mph trap with a 2.6 60' means if you can get a a 2.1 60' time, you will have an easy 1 second drop in your ET :thumb:

good luck!
bernie

ssheen
01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
-91 octane gas (thats all the pumps have around here)
A couple of Husky stations have 94. One on the south side. Do not recall where the other is. Could mix some race gas with the 91 too if you needed. There is a sled place just off of the yellowhead and 127 that sells some.

moparzrule
01-08-2008, 07:25 PM
It's the pressure you are running in your tires. I tried 2 passes at 35 PSI, wheel hop city. Found out the track had an air pump, then I took them down to about 18 as Mock GLH said, worked like a charm.