PDA

View Full Version : TIII head gasket and lifter question.

turbovanmanČ
02-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Ok, just got most of my parts now and looking at the rockers, the lifters have little plastic retainers for the tips, can you run the rockers without the retainers and if not, can you buy the plastic bit or do I need to buy new lifters, and if so, where do I get those?

Head gasket-does it use the 2005 or 2006 gasket or its own distinct one?

MOPAR2YA
02-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Often times the plastic retainers break off over time, and normally wont cause to much problem until you try to intall the lifter or remove it as the tip falls off. The plastic retainer isnt a serviceable piece, the lifter has to be replaced which is available from FWDP or buy a used one with the plastic still intact..

Not sure what you mean by 2005 or 2006 gasket

turbovanmanČ
02-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Often times the plastic retainers break off over time, and normally wont cause to much problem until you try to intall the lifter or remove it as the tip falls off. The plastic retainer isnt a serviceable piece, the lifter has to be replaced which is available from FWDP or buy a used one with the plastic still intact..

Not sure what you mean by 2005 or 2006 gasket

So if I can assemble it, I have before on another TIII engine just so he could drive it home, the lifters will be fine?

Sorry, the numbers are the last 4 for the MP gaskets, the 005 is for 8V no cross drill and the 006 is for the TII's.

Thanks Wallace, you have a Pm also.

86Shelby
02-10-2006, 12:44 AM
No, you cannot use the traditional MP head gaskets with a TIII. The coolant passages through the gasket are different and also the center oil drainback passage is not used by the TIII head, blocked off by the gasket. Looking at the gaskets I'd assume you would get incorrect coolant circulation through the engine. The TIII gasket has a couple small holes fore and aft of the cylinders for the coolant to pass through, compared to the larger passages on a regular 8V.

turbovanmanČ
02-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Ok, very good to know, still learning about these beasts, :thumb: