PDA

View Full Version : ripping engine down

WOP'R
09-11-2007, 01:22 PM
so i started to disassemble my TIII last night and i have noticed a few things:mad:

one of the plastic retain clips for the rocker arms fell apart when taking it out. Should i worry about anythign else being missing? When i buy a new one from cindy how do i go abouts installing it??

looking at the rollers of the rockers i noticed that they seem to have some wear on them. Is this normal? how bad can the wear get before i need to replace it? where to i get replacements?

Also when sending for cryo treating and DFLing do i need to take the rocker arms apart?

Also my #1 piston seems to have some damage at the front and rear of the engine! what would cause this and would anyone have 1 stock replacement or a set??

ill post pics in a bit

turbovanmanČ
09-11-2007, 02:36 PM
The plastic retainers commonly get brittle and fall off, this is ok, but makes reassembly a royal PITA. Make sure you don't loose the disc, lifter or pivot point. They are not available and you either reuse them like I am or buy Cindys updated ones that have a metal retainer.

Wear is normal but if there pitting, the rollers are junk. I had the whole rocker arm cryoed but not coated. Check the cam lobes for wear.

RJ138
09-11-2007, 03:45 PM
so i started to disassemble my TIII last night and i have noticed a few things:mad:

one of the plastic retain clips for the rocker arms fell apart when taking it out. Should i worry about anythign else being missing? When i buy a new one from cindy how do i go abouts installing it??

looking at the rollers of the rockers i noticed that they seem to have some wear on them. Is this normal? how bad can the wear get before i need to replace it? where to i get replacements?

Also when sending for cryo treating and DFLing do i need to take the rocker arms apart?

Also my #1 piston seems to have some damage at the front and rear of the engine! what would cause this and would anyone have 1 stock replacement or a set??

ill post pics in a bit

If any lifters fell out when you pulled the rocker shafts, make sure you didn't lose the tiny little shim that rests on top of the lifter. These little bastards skrewed me over once...:mad:

To install a new lifter just push it in, I put some oil on the o-ring to get it to slide in easier (some will take a little force). Just make sure the shim is above the lifter and situated the right way.