PDA

View Full Version : Shift Forks and Rails

BadFastGTC
09-08-2007, 12:00 PM
My '05 ACR has had a shifting issue since new. Ma Mopar rebuilt the trans with new synchro assemblies some time ago and the condition never changed. A contact at NVG thinks the trans has bent shift forks. He misunderstood me when I told him I have never, ever shifted this car hard or at WOT. Period. Never. Ever. In any case, I came across a set of forks and rails along with the gatehouse (shift housing, selector housing). These are brand new parts. I know the shift selector assembly can be changed rather easily with the trans in the car. What I want to know is can the shift forks and rails be done in car or do I have to pull the trans?

orgsrt4
09-08-2007, 01:08 PM
i just started to get into these trannys but i think tyou may be able to replace them with out removing the trans. but you night have a problem getting the imput shaft lined back up though.

BadAssPerformance
09-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Good question. I know you can R&R all the shifting stuff on an old TM trans out the side, not sure about the T850 tho.

ScottD
09-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Steve - have you fooled with adjusting the shifter cables? Both my SRT-4 and Pat Culkin's required adjustment right from the factory, we both bought our cars new. Pat discovered this first, and sure enough it was an issue on my car. Now maybe this won't solve your problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check anyway.

BadFastGTC
09-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Yeah, I know what you are saying there. I was hoping that this was going to be a operation I could do in a few hours.

Good question. I know you can R&R all the shifting stuff on an old TM trans out the side, not sure about the T850 tho.

BadFastGTC
09-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Scott,

I've gone through all of those adjustments a few times. They were tried before and after the trans was rebuilt. The dealership had no further ideas as to what could be done to fix the trans other than rebuild it again. Given all the items they screwed up after the first rebuild, I wouldn't let them touch the car again. I received all the shift forks and rails along with the shift selector assembly and wanted to give them a try. Something changed in these 2005 cars that some supplier probably "adjusted" and it is causing all kinds of issues with 3rd gear. NVG thinks the forks are the problem, but I do not. One would think a bent fork would result in more frequent if not constant problems shifting the trans, but I have problems 1/3 of the time. Nice eh?

Steve - have you fooled with adjusting the shifter cables? Both my SRT-4 and Pat Culkin's required adjustment right from the factory, we both bought our cars new. Pat discovered this first, and sure enough it was an issue on my car. Now maybe this won't solve your problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check anyway.

ScottD
09-11-2007, 07:48 AM
On my SRT-4 the adjustment was particularly finicky. It took me a while to get it just right. I've heard the shift forks are an issue. Luckily I've not had any problems with mine (knock on wood).

glhs0426
11-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Scott,

I've gone through all of those adjustments a few times. They were tried before and after the trans was rebuilt. The dealership had no further ideas as to what could be done to fix the trans other than rebuild it again. Given all the items they screwed up after the first rebuild, I wouldn't let them touch the car again. I received all the shift forks and rails along with the shift selector assembly and wanted to give them a try. Something changed in these 2005 cars that some supplier probably "adjusted" and it is causing all kinds of issues with 3rd gear. NVG thinks the forks are the problem, but I do not. One would think a bent fork would result in more frequent if not constant problems shifting the trans, but I have problems 1/3 of the time. Nice eh?

I've had three '05 cars through my store and all of them had the third gear issue you described. Car one had a syncro replaced only to come back three months later to receive another syncro assembly and a shift fork. Car two received a shift fork only since there was no signs of wear on the syncro. Car three received a unit due to the debris from the trashed sycros and I'll call it lack of driver skill. I don't know what they changed, but there has been part number changes.

2.216VTurbo
11-02-2007, 12:10 PM
I've had three '05 cars through my store and all of them had the third gear issue you described. Car one had a syncro replaced only to come back three months later to receive another syncro assembly and a shift fork. Car two received a shift fork only since there was no signs of wear on the syncro. Car three received a unit due to the debris from the trashed sycros and I'll call it lack of driver skill. I don't know what they changed, but there has been part number changes.

Nice well informed post from the voice of experience:amen: Is your store a Dodge dealership or what? Welcome to TM by the way, look forward to more informed posts from you:clap:

glhs0426
11-03-2007, 06:51 PM
It's Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep. I will be glad to input what I know when I know.

John Roberts

inmyshadow
11-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I just seen a SRT4 vendor selling a transmission piece to a weak chrysler tranny part. I don't remember the vendor, but it was 140 for their piece. Mopar part was like 400?

orgsrt4
11-10-2007, 12:10 PM
the part was the shift selector. AGP sells the replacement part that breaks in billet. its like $150 the only way to get it from mopar it the whole shift plate for $400

rich tideswell
11-12-2007, 11:29 PM
billet steel shift selector
http://www.agpturbo.com/product.php?productid=16267&cat=272&page=1

clutch master cylender push rod reinforcement
http://www.rage-tek.com/product.php?productid=16158&cat=255&page=1

hydrolic clutch release bearing
http://www.rage-tek.com/product.php?productid=16196&cat=255&page=1