PDA

View Full Version : EGT probe location

mock_glh
02-09-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm about to install an EGT probe in a stock 8V exhaust manifold. There's a boss in the center of the manifold that looks like it was put there for this. Does anybody know about this. I've seen probes installed before but never on this thing. It seems like a good place to me (unless the starter interferes).

Austrian Dodge
02-09-2006, 02:59 PM
you mean on the down side of the manifold? i put an egt probe there (in the collector) and it hit the starter, so had to put that probe on another location.

here's were i put it afterwards

mock_glh
02-09-2006, 04:18 PM
That's where I usually see it. I'll go with that I guess. Thanks.:thumb:

johnl
02-10-2006, 03:34 AM
I'm about to install an EGT probe in a stock 8V exhaust manifold. There's a boss in the center of the manifold that looks like it was put there for this. Does anybody know about this. I've seen probes installed before but never on this thing. It seems like a good place to me (unless the starter interferes).

I welded a bung in the center of the outlet flange of the exhaust manifold - so the EGT thermocouple points straight down at the starter. It is tight but it does not interfere with the starter or with its aluminum/fiberglass heat shield. And I can get it in and out without removing the starter. It is not a clamp on. It is a 1/4 NPT with a 1/8th compression bushing - the probe has a 90* bend on it though so that helps the signal wire in not hitting the starter. I've got a pic of the pre-installed bung/thermocouple on other computer at home but I am out of town for weekend. PM me to remind me if you want it. Engine's on hooks so I could take a pic of the assembled clearance for you too if you want it.

GLHSKEN
02-10-2006, 08:02 AM
I did it the same as Andreas... Head was still on the car.

Murphy
02-14-2006, 02:01 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/Ex10.jpg

ssheen
05-04-2006, 02:14 PM
JohnL, did you ever take that pic of the clearance with the probe and starter? If so I would be very interested in seeing it.