PDA

View Full Version : Cummins Downpipe

gti_7
09-07-2007, 01:23 AM
Hello folks..

Can any one tell me if a DP from a Ram cummins would have roughly the same bends as one designed for our cars?

here is what i am talking about:
from the good folks at tubosunleashed. their 3" pipe
http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/images/3%20inch%20Aluminized%20Downpipe.jpg

And here is a 4" cummins pipe.
http://www.geocities.com/gti_7/Cummins.jpg

if that geocities site crashed due to band width, perhaps someone can offer to post the last pic for me :)

these two pipes look quite close in shape that i had to ask your opinions..:eyebrows:

thanks guys
bernard

mcsvt
09-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Attached the Cummins DP for you. But don't have an answer for your question... I'm sure it could me made to work, but doubt for a direct replacement.

gti_7
09-07-2007, 05:47 PM
thanks for the photo hosting! i was just curious as they *seemed* to share the same basic shape..:D

4" dp can't hurt on a stock T2 Garrett can it? lol :eyebrows:

thanks again
bernard

Dez
09-07-2007, 06:01 PM
I would say it would need a bit of a mod to make it work. Give it a go and report back to us :]

Good luck.

ssheen
09-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Yes, please do. I have been playing with this idea for a couple of years now. A little feedback would get me going on it... ;)

gti_7
10-17-2007, 12:09 PM
I just wanted to let you guys know. the pipe arrived. 4" is freaking huge :thumb:

i measured it against a 2.5" DP i have. its quiet close. the only difference from what i can tell is its obvious size and that the neck of the cummins pipe is slanted more downward than the OEM pipe where its more up ward where it meets the turbo. the flare on the cummins pipe is also 3.5" but right under it its 3" for about 2-3 inches, then grows to 4" ID.

I dont have a digital camera, but i will get a hold of one and send pics to those interested :)

i am really hoping to get this to work. i know its serious overkill, but i like experimenting.

btw the pipe is off a 2000 cummins 2500 5 speed that had a HX35.

bernie

Dez
10-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Yes, please send the pictures. post them up here :)

moparzrule
10-19-2007, 06:33 AM
I have the same pipe he is referring too off my old cummins truck that I used before I went to an HX40 downpipe. The HX35 downpipe starts as a 3'' flared up to 4''. But it's meant for a ball and socket flange. It will take some fabbing to get it to work, hope you have a welder.
I can tell you this, the one you have pictured is not a direct fit cummins downpipe. It's either from something else or a modded cummins downpipe. It has a 4'' inlet, which is what the HX40 downpipe has, but is NOT shaped that way. The HX35 pipe is shaped that way because the factory turbo has an elbow on it, but it also starts at 3'' and flares to 4'' which that pipe pictured does not.

moparzrule
10-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Here-
HX40 downpipe first, and not so great of a pic of the HX35 downpipe.

gti_7
10-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Here-
HX40 downpipe first, and not so great of a pic of the HX35 downpipe.

you are correct sir :) the pipe i have is the HX35 pipe. its nice :D the flare is actually 3.5" but your right, its for a ball and socket. i plan to cut the flare off and weld on the 3" ID under the 3.5" flare to a 3" ID piece of flex pipe and go from there. My pipe also has the last 4" of length removed so its a bit shorter than a regualr piece would be.

I just want to see what its going to be like. i dont plan a full 4" system, just the DP and the rest will be 3".

I am working on getting the pics, need access to a hoist right now, but when i do, i'll share the news.

bernie

moparzrule
10-20-2007, 06:43 AM
No offense, but just having the DP 4'' and the rest 3'' is really pointless. You will not gain anything in fact it might hurt more than help necking it back down.
Why go through all this fabrication to not gain anything???

gti_7
10-20-2007, 09:34 AM
The men and women who designed these cars, never expected these motors to last more than a year, they also knew absolutely nothing about turbocharging and went about designing these cars with turbocharging text books in hand.

Did we ever think a 16v head would fit a 2.x 5-10 years ago? No, now they are the rage, so is doing a RWD conversion on a FWD car. The point is you don't know until you try. People like Gus Mahon and Gary D are people who took these cars and tried things out. Who the hell ever expected a K car or a boring old grocery getter like an Acclaim to run 10.x and 12.x respectively? Should i even mention the 12 second minivans?

I am doing this because i want to try. I want to see if it will work. it can't hurt, if people run 3" cutouts, or just a SV with no DP at the track, this 3" to 4" pipe can't hurt.

If [and i doubt it] find in the end that i gain nothing with this pipe and it actually hurts performance, i would have wasted 50 bucks.

bernie

Dez
10-20-2007, 10:05 AM
I say, give it a go.

Good luck and post up the results when done :)