PDA

View Full Version : Difference in TBI and Turbo omni axles?

altered7151
02-09-2006, 12:43 PM
So I'm getting ready to swap in new axles for the 555 in my charger. I know I hear people complain about the weakness of the tbi auto axles. I haven't compared the two side by side, so I'm assuming the TBI's must not be as stout? So why cant we take the inner stub shaft off the TBI axle and swap it onto the stock turbo axle? It looked like the g-body inners that I have would swap on no problem, but of course they're longer.

The S is Silent
02-09-2006, 12:47 PM
The turbo axles from the a525 were small...really small. The TBI axles I put in were bigger than the ones that I took out of my charger. I think they'll be fine. I'd try for the TBI axles, and if those fail, have somebody make a set of custom axles for you. They'll cost a lot though, but you'll get what you pay for.

altered7151
02-09-2006, 01:11 PM
The turbo axles from the a525 were small...really small. The TBI axles I put in were bigger than the ones that I took out of my charger. I think they'll be fine. I'd try for the TBI axles, and if those fail, have somebody make a set of custom axles for you. They'll cost a lot though, but you'll get what you pay for.

Wow, ok didn't know that. I figured the turbo axles were bigger than the TBI's. I'll just go with those then. If they snap I'm just going to make up my own Chro-moly axles.

The S is Silent
02-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Wow, ok didn't know that. I figured the turbo axles were bigger than the TBI's. I'll just go with those then. If they snap I'm just going to make up my own Chro-moly axles.

I was pretty surprised as well. I know for a while, Alabama Man was making custom L-body axles out of minivan axles...but I don't know about that anymore. Relentless also used to sell HD axles for the L-bodies.

I'm just going with unequal length 88 TBI auto axles in my charger...and I'm gonna be shooting for around 290 or 300 horse. We'll see how well they hold up.

altered7151
02-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Hmm, I wonder if he was just swapping the stub axles onto the minivan axles. Could be worth looking into. I'm with you though, I'm gonna run the TBI's till they break then decide what to do from there.

turbovanmanČ
02-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Ok, what car are you talking about Tyler?

As stated, L body axles are the weakest and also the shortest. The stub shafts is also the shortest.
Next up, in the car line, there are 4 different brands/designs of axles that Dodge used, GKN etc. That includes TBI's, V6's etc. I have found the inner joint that is round, very large and thick is the strongest. The stub shaft is aprox 1 inch longer than the L body.
Next is the Minivan, the axles and stub shaft are each aprox 1 inch longer than the cars. The shafts are not interchangeable with cars due to there lenght the but the joints are, if you swap same to same.

Hope that makes sense!

altered7151
02-09-2006, 02:33 PM
I'm only concerned with the L-body at the moment. I thought I would be super smart and swap the inner stub shafts from my old daytona axles onto my l-body axles, but as you already know they are about 2-3 inches longer. I was just trying to determine if there was a way to build a hybrid axle by using parts from several different cars that would be stronger then the TBI axles. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of that though, and if it was possible it probably would already have been done. Thats okay, if I snap the TBI axles, I have some 930 universals left over from the VW drag days. With a little machine work and fabrication you can make some bomb-proof axles.

Mario
02-09-2006, 03:15 PM
I've got a set of the $300 axles from Relentless in my Charger...no problems here. I believe Gary still has them in stock.

The S is Silent
02-09-2006, 04:30 PM
I've got a set of the $300 axles from Relentless in my Charger...no problems here. I believe Gary still has them in stock.

That's the route I'm going with my charger if I destroy the TBI ones

8valves
02-09-2006, 04:40 PM
That's the route I'm going with my charger if I destroy the TBI ones

I'm still on Autozone TBI axles. They've held up to 300+ whp for over a year now. Then again, I've never had slicks on it to really get some traction, so who knows what would happen then. Some guys have gotten lucky and used them for a long time.

Aaron Miller