PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharging and Carburetors

GLHS592
12-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Anybody here with experience in turbocharging a carbureted motor? I have a slant 6 1985 Ram and a 440/727 combo out of a motorhome. I thought about maybe doing a cheapo custom turbo setup until I get the money to go all out on the motor.

Clay
12-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Ive looked into it before, and the way I understand it there are two ways to do it.

Either A) buy a "box" that goes over the entire carb so that the entire carb will see the same boost pressure, or b) have the carb rebuilt to be "boost capable" and then just use a standard air hat on the carb to feed it air.

clay

Una
12-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Check out a yahoo group called BlowThruTurbo or something close to that spelling.. Bunch of guys who have been around since the days when EFI wasn't an option.. They know their stuff..

GLHS592
12-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Either A) buy a "box" that goes over the entire carb so that the entire carb will see the same boost pressure, or b) have the carb rebuilt to be "boost capable" and then just use a standard air hat on the carb to feed it air.

I'll will probably do choice B.

Chris Faulk
12-24-2005, 01:19 AM
Ive looked into it before, and the way I understand it there are two ways to do it.

clay

Choice C) Situate the carb. on the inlet of turbo. I've done this and seen it on a hi-hp Mustang as well. It's simply a draw-through setup and works very well with little to no real stress on the carb.

BadAssPerformance
12-24-2005, 01:26 AM
Choice D) build a sheetmetal intake and EFI it! :thumb:

Chris Faulk
12-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Choice D) build a sheetmetal intake and EFI it! :thumb:

Well that's EASY...but the original question was to carb. it. :thumb:

Ondonti
12-24-2005, 02:34 AM
3) Draw through for icing of the carb!!!!!!!

GLHS592
12-24-2005, 11:57 AM
I've thought about choice D, but I don't have that kind of money right now. An SDS controlled turbo 440 would be awesome though.

BadAssPerformance
12-24-2005, 12:09 PM
I've thought about choice D, but I don't have that kind of money right now. An SDS controlled turbo 440 would be awesome though.

Yeah, choice D doesn't fall into the 'cheap' category unless you can find a used stand alone for cheap.

I was going to be helping a friend put twin turbos on his 70 Sport Fury with a pair of junkyard T-3's, a pair of JY intercoolers, an LS-1 intake and adapter that bolted it to onto the carb intake and a used FAST system from ebay... Was going to make the custom headers for him for the practice, but lets just say his priorities got re-scheduled and the project is on hold.

Una
12-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah, choice D doesn't fall into the 'cheap' category unless you can find a used stand alone for cheap.
Uh.. How about brand new stand alone for cheap? MEGASQUIRT.. :)

Dietro
12-24-2005, 01:07 PM

And here I thought you were talking about turboharging the /6... ;)

I've had that as a "someday" project for a LONG time. My plan is to go with Choice D. Build a sheet metal intake and use either MS or SDS to control it. Have the /6 built up w/forged internals and ported head. Top it off with a nice T4.....who needs a 340? :evil:

GLHS592
12-24-2005, 02:04 PM
There's no replacement for displacement. Plus, there are tons more parts for RB's than there are /6es.

Dietro
12-24-2005, 08:29 PM
There's no replacement for displacement.

Which is why I prefer 2.5L's over 2.2L's. ;)

As far as parts, if I made my decision on what to buy/build on the availabilty of parts, I'd be a SBC guy. :D

Oh and Merry Christmas!

GLHS60
12-31-2005, 08:57 PM
A friend turbo'd a Chevy inline six a few years ago using the complete setup from an 80 Trans Am 301. It worked really good and the T.A. setup is so easy to adapt to an inline six he had it done in an afternoon. Older Buick 3.8 Turbos had basicly the same easy to adapt setup.

Thanks
Randy

Anybody here with experience in turbocharging a carbureted motor? I have a slant 6 1985 Ram and a 440/727 combo out of a motorhome. I thought about maybe doing a cheapo custom turbo setup until I get the money to go all out on the motor.

sean
01-08-2006, 10:29 PM
good link http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/ look under MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum

jimpotent
01-12-2006, 11:09 AM

If you need a carburator for a blow threw set up the ONLY and i quote ONLY peron to have do the carb is Chuck Nuggten , You can find his add in the back of National dragster. If he is good enough to do Warren Johnsons carbs
I Know you will be happy with yours. He has done 2 for me 1 regular 1 blow through both carbs never needed a thing done to them, not even the idle set.
You take it out of the box, bolt it on, start it up, and laugh with amazment.
I had a friend at the track who thought he was smart enough to tune a carb, Finally he listened to me and orderd a carb from chuck and he picked up a .5 second.
PLEASE do yourself the favor .

BoostMonkey
03-06-2006, 02:18 AM
Dude, use the Slant six intake, Adapt it to a GM TBI setup, Use Megasquirt as ur controller, and skip out on the Ignition box using Megasquirt's Direct Coil Drive to control ur timing during cruising, and under boost. A Set of forged pistons from Diamond is around $650, 340 Valvsprings, and a Custom grind cam set for similar specs to the GN's, Holset Hy35 or HX35, and use a set of Dutra Dual Header's, with a mergepipe going to the Turbo and ur in business! I plan on doin this this next winter and sticking it into a Dart. Should be pushing close to 450 HP with around 15 psi.

Michael

Lotza Boost
03-12-2006, 12:29 AM
There's no replacement for displacement. Plus, there are tons more parts for RB's than there are /6es.
Isn't a turbo a replacement for displacement???:amen:

ottawa rogue
06-23-2006, 08:07 AM
try this link
www.vs57.com
it deals with the early paxton style superchargers on the 50's t-birds
lots of good info on how they set the carbs up for blow through apps(mainly carters)

mpgmike
06-27-2006, 01:41 AM
Since you're looking for CHEAP and TEMPORARY, I'd suggest looking at these:
http://fueleconomytips.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=64&Itemid=2

I've made 4 of those manifolds so far.

http://www.studebakerclubs.com/21stCenturyTurbo/TheIndex.htm

Mike

turbo xtc
08-15-2006, 01:29 AM
Isn't a turbo a replacement for displacement???:amen:
kinda like cheating the odds i'm working on project super-neon and i like the sounds of a suck-through carb using a 3.8 bonneville charger and i'm fabing a intake on the charger using a standard 2.5 and a 555 trans any suggestions?
:thumb:

Tony Hanna
08-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Kevin,
I don't know which style setup (suck-through vs. blow-through) you'd be more likely to go with, but I do remember reading something about compressor seals on a suck-through setup. I may be wrong but I think you want to use a turbo that has a carbon compressor seal instead of a dynamic seal. Worth looking into if you decide to go that route.

flight704
12-22-2006, 03:20 PM
i am in the middle of a carbed blow through set up but my toy isnt ready to go yet. I've just now got it running and its not ready for dyno pulls yet but from what i have been told and read blow through is better performance but jetting the carbs is a real pita.. its rich off boost or lean udnder boost.. Ill find out this summer but just so you know my toy is many things and cheap is not in any of the categories

lol

all that bieng said ive seen some turbo carbed /6's that do all right online..

necessity is the father of invention is how it goes..

good luck however you decide to go.

mech1nxh
12-30-2006, 09:28 AM

may I suggest http://www.slantsix.org/articles/articles.htm
the best info I have found on the " Leaning Tower of Power"

near the bottom of the list is a TWIN TURBO setup......
Ma Mopar even made a short run of aluminum blocks for
the s/6.....

The Pope
01-01-2007, 01:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MIGHTY-DEMON-850-ANN-BARRY-GRANT-BLOW-THRU-BLOWER-CARB_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33550QQihZ001QQite mZ110072443275QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

There are many turbo carbs out there, they need to be custom made for blow through. For over 900 HP and as much as 1,350 WHP that I've seen you need dual carbs with low CFM. Like 2 450s that make over 1,300 WHP, twin carbs just feed the fuel you need and the velocity through a 450 is really high. I am trying the cheap rumored Holley blow through kit first for a customer that is trying to save money. The carb is the one place you need to not get cheap.