PDA

View Full Version : Ti retainers and 8v I shaft gear?

WOP'R
09-06-2007, 01:52 AM
i would like your guys' opinions

do you all think having the Ti retainers installed is more and enough

or should i also do the 8v I shaft gear mod?

Turbo224
09-06-2007, 11:33 AM
i would like your guys' opinions

do you all think having the Ti retainers installed is more and enough

or should i also do the 8v I shaft gear mod?

The Ti retainers are a good mod, but I don't know if the i-shaft is necessary. I think if you are worried about it, buy a cryo'd i-shaft and have the oil pump gear cryo'd and they will never fail. My R/T never had a problem with the i-shaft. Even at 100k the bushing didn't look to bad when I tore the motor down. I think proper timing belt tension goes a long way. Thats my opinion though.

iTurbo
09-06-2007, 01:47 PM
I think the Ti retainers do a good job at helping timing belt life if that is what you are after. I have had the Ti retainers on my R/T for about 17k miles and I haven't had any trouble with anything on the car. Of course I always tension it properly but the belt always looks great. I think another thing to watch out for is an oil leak getting on the belt and softening it which will cause it to fail much earlier.

However, I'd like to see more people do this mod so we can all see if it's worth it. I do wonder if it would affect engine oiling at higher RPM. The Lotus head does have a lot more moving parts than the SOHC head.

turbovanmanČ
09-09-2007, 05:29 AM
I'll let you know soon, :clap: