PDA

View Full Version : Faded plastic parts?

chad_m
09-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Hi, I'm working on restoring my Black 89 Chrysler LeBaron, the side view mirrors and the louvered section on the back of the hood is very faded, how can I restore this? The cars paint is like new maybe repainted years ago and I want it all to look good. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks;
Chad

turbo-baron
09-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Meguires lustre shine works awsome. Just make sure you put it on evenly or some places will be darker then others. I used it on my mirrors and trim on my 89 black baron vert. Any pics of your car?

Turbodave
09-06-2007, 01:23 AM
Chad the best way to get those parts looking nice for a long time is to refinish them. I really like SEM trim black paint. It covers great and has a nice semi-gloss shine to it similar to how the parts were when new. The little details like that really make a car look great.

If you can't find the SEM product I've also had sucess with the duplicolor black trim paint, it's less expensive and easier to find, but in some cases I've found it's not quite as durable as the SEM stuff.

For a short term fix there are some "bumper black" type products that will shine up the black parts for a week or two, but it your looking for something more long term then painting them is the way to go.

shelby zed
09-06-2007, 01:32 AM
i was just about to say sem trim paint, that stuff looks awesome

chad_m
09-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Does anyone know of any retail places that sell SEM products, or is it just avaliable online?

Thanks!
Chad

devlish
09-06-2007, 02:39 PM
the SEM stuff i used all the time for interior stuff and it's awesome!! well, it's awesome for the exterior stuff as well.

however, due of lack of local sales, i've use the duplicolor trim black paint for the bumpers/light bezel/mirrors/etc and have been SUPER HAPPY with that as well. just make sure you prep it good and i think you'll be surprised. it also works great on interior pieces to make them black again. something about the finish... not gloss, not flat, not even satin. just nice and clean looking. i did some custom pieces for friends and used this and they were both extremely happy.

just another option for you.

ps... check an autobody supply store, they may carry the SEM bumper/trim stuff. my memory tells me the local place here does, but the duplicolor was 1/3 the price, and i was super happy with it. however, i did NOT like the duplicolor interior plastic/vinyl dyes. only SEM for my interior stuff.

JeremyL
09-06-2007, 03:03 PM
I used SEM trim black on my t-top trim, mirrors, hood vent, and emblems & couldn't be more happy with the results. I scuffed everything with scotchbrite pads & shot a little filler primer where needed, and most of it looks awesome.

However, I do have one question.. what can I do about the side mouldings & front and rear fascia areas? The area on the bumpers where the pinstripe is wasn't repainted, and it's a little ugly compared to the rest of the car. Also I'd like to know about cleaning up the tail lights as they're looking a little dull. Will the Meguires lustre shine fix it up?

devlish
09-06-2007, 03:17 PM
i redid my sideskirts with the duplicolor trim paint... turned out good on my car.

http://www.projectglh.com/images/day18/2.jpg

~Kurt

myabe more pics at more at www.projectglh.com

chad_m
09-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your ideas, I tryed the duplicolor black trim paint since I could not find any SEM paint anyware. Im very happy with the results! Now I just have to find new decals for the car, going to try a dealer, hope they still can get them.

Thanks;
Chad

BadAssPerformance
09-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Good luck at a dealer...

Try Positive Impressions www.unleashedbyshelby.com

devlish
09-10-2007, 12:06 PM
if it's an Omni GLHT you need decals for, let me know. i own a vinyl shop and did mine on my car as pictured above.

hman1991
09-24-2007, 10:08 PM
i know you have already finished but. peanutbutter also works good i have herd. sounds wierd bu i have herd this was good to restore mouldings. i havent tried it yet. but is supposed to last a long time.

Turbodave
09-26-2007, 09:18 AM
i know you have already finished but. peanutbutter also works good i have herd. sounds wierd bu i have herd this was good to restore mouldings. i havent tried it yet. but is supposed to last a long time.

I just picture stray animals licking my car :lol:

CSXVNT461
10-02-2007, 05:48 PM
lol hey that'd be good theft prevention to. I tried the Bondo Restore Black and it worked about as good as black shoe polish. I guess I'll be looking for the SEM......