PDA

View Full Version : Shurflo pump keeps going bad

OnLooker
09-04-2007, 01:29 PM
I just had another shurflo pump go bad:mad: The thing keeps blowing fuses so I pulled the discharge line off the pump and simulated boost and nothing comes out. Its on a devilsown progressive setup and the same thing happened last year, they sent me a pump and all was good. Now this year it is doing it again. I tryed emailing devilsown but never heard anything back from them so I got ahold of Chance on AIM. All he had to say is that I should be having any problems with the way it is mounted and didn't have any cure for it. So should I buy another pump and hope it was just another bad one or what?

csxtra
09-04-2007, 04:30 PM
What liquid are you running, pure methanol, or a mix?

If you're running straight methanol, there are parts in the Shurflo pump that will deteriorate, causing no fluid to be pumped when the pump is running .

Does Devilsown mod the pumps at all after receiving them from Shurflo to make them methanol compatible? If not, I'd look at getting a pump from another vendor that modifies their pump to make it compatible. I know that Alkycontrol.com pumps are 100% methanol compatible, I believe that Snow Performance pumps are now compatible also (Marion, here's your chance to chime in :D ), but I don't know about the other vendors.

I had the no-pump problem with my 2 year-old Alkycontrol.com pump (although I wasn't blowing fuses). I bought it before they found a solution to make it 100% methanol compatible. I called them up after having the pump for 2 years to buy a new, upgraded pump. Instead they told me to send in my old pump to be inspected, upgraded, and tested. I sent in the pump (<1 week turnaround including shipping both ways :thumb: ) and for much less than the cost of a new pump, I'm good to go. They also have had no methanol-related pump failures since the pump upgrade went into effect (3 months after I bought my kit...DOH). Plus due to another change that went along with the upgrade, I now know for sure that the pump is actually pumping alky, because the LED indicator changes color when liquid is actually being pumped. SWEET!!

I hope this helps you...I know how bad it sux when your alky isn't working right.

Warren

mario03SRT
09-05-2007, 07:24 AM
OnLooker,

As Warren pointed out all of the Snow Performance/Boost Cooler pumps are 100% Methonal capable now and run at 180 psi. If you are in the need I can save you a bit of cash.

What size fuse do you have the pump connected to? What is the gage/diameter of your 12v wire? The pumps must be seeing quite a bit of drag/load to pop a fuse. I've not seen or heard of a kit doing that, much less repeatedly. What is your 12v switched source? Where are you grounding too? Be sure the ternimal lug is on a clean area, and to a good location like battery ground, chassis, cyl head. These are the best.

FYI,
Marion

OnLooker
09-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm running windshield washer fluid through it. The connections for the progressive controller goes to a unused spot in the fuse box and there is a 10 amp fuse before the controller. The ground goes to chassis that I cleaned the paint off of. As far as wire size I'm not sure but it is one step bigger then what they have coming out of the controller.

mario03SRT
09-06-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm running windshield washer fluid through it. The connections for the progressive controller goes to a unused spot in the fuse box and there is a 10 amp fuse before the controller. The ground goes to chassis that I cleaned the paint off of. As far as wire size I'm not sure but it is one step bigger then what they have coming out of the controller.

On,

Thats sounds like a good arrangement.

Marion