PDA

View Full Version : ARGH! Daytona doors... AGAIN

Chikan
02-09-2006, 01:26 AM
So my son and I just got home from DQ makin a late-night ice cream run... Pull back in at home, go to get outta the car, and WHAM! His door hits the ground... Top hinge pin freakin just FELL OUT! I knew they were gettin old, cause the doors have been sagging, so I was planning on replacing them before too much longer anyway, but I've never actually heard of one just dropping like that! :mad:
So now I have to go to the parts store tomorrow for hinges, and HOPE they have any in stock... figure I might as well just replace 'em all while I'm at it.... ARGH!!! You'd think it woulda at least had the decency to do it during regular business hours!!

//Rant

GLHSKEN
02-09-2006, 07:42 AM
They are typically in stock.. Never heard of one falling out either. Usually they are a PITA to get out

Dave
02-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Dang... that must've been kool to watch. :D

Hope everything works out well for yeh.

85shelbycharger
02-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Thank goodness that nobody's foot was in the door's way! Those things weigh a TON!

Chikan
02-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Tell me about it.. My poor son was like "Uhh.... Dad... problem!" He was freakin cause he thought he had done something wrong and was gonna be in trouble... lol
Oh well... Figure I might as well do both doors today, long as I've got the parts & stuff... So I'm off to the store! Wish me luck! lol

j4278h
02-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Yep its happend to me in my t-top beater daytuna. Top pin fell out and bam door on the ground. All the parts stores i go to have those pin in stock.

Chikan
02-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Well, the local parts stores DIDN'T have the specific 38388 or 38377 pins.... They DID, however, have the ones for the Dodge Ram... Top pin is identical, bottom pin is about 1/4" shorter... Fortunately our pins have a good 1/2" of extra clearance, so it wasn't an issue...

The door is now back in place, but I ran into another issue... The FACTORY bushings, (still with factory paint on them, so obviously they're OLD), refused to budge... I tried for a good 30 mins pounding on 'em with various tools, but they didn't even move... So for the sake of having a working door again, I just put the new pin in. When I get some more time for bangin around, and can find a better way, I'll go back to it and do the bushings as well. After all, I've still gotta do the bottom pin, and both on the driver's door... Apparently SOON, before they fall out too! LOL

tryingbe
02-09-2006, 06:53 PM
I just break up the bushings on my daytona