PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait to get to a real track!

altered7151
09-01-2007, 02:48 PM
So about once a month here outside of Reno we have "street drags" at Fernley Raceway. Its a poor excuse for a dragstrip, but its a fun place to go out and do some grudge races and keeps people of the street. Here's the real funny part, the track is actually a little uphill, well some of it is semi flat, and the last 300ft is a pretty good grade. The track isn't 1/4 mile, but its longer than an 1/8. They're theory is they compensated for the uphill by making the track shorter, so it actually equals out to 1/4 mile :confused: :confused: So I took the charger out last night for some racing after finally getting the car together after about 2 years. First run had all kinds of problems, breaking up about 4500rpm. Came back and found some weird codes, checked all my connections and reset the ecu, then after that was fine. They have some timing lights there, but there's no way they're accurate as I launched hard and ran a 14.01 at 108mph :confused2: :confused2: Not exactly sure how thats possible, but the car was running great and pulling hard. That was of course until I decide to race a guy in an srt-4 with some work done to it. Did my burnout and the power loss light kickes on, decide to run him anyways. Launched hard on him and had him by almost a car, then had to short shift it because it was breaking up again, so every shift he reeled me in a little bit until he had me by a fender on the top end. Owell, there's always next time. :thumb: :thumb:

Vigo
09-01-2007, 03:25 PM
well if its just for match-racing i like the idea of the end of it being uphill as it helps you out in the braking department.

good races :)

2.216VTurbo
09-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Not trying to hijack Tyler but this seems to fit here since you mentioned SRT4's...

Was bored on Thursday night and since the best damn meet up in SoCal isn't until next Thursday (BTW thats the SD/TD meet at Applebees, first Thursday of the month 1238 Imperial hwy, LaHabra 8pm;) ), I decided to go hang with the 909/Inland Empire SRT4 gang. It's a warm night so definately top down in the TC Masi weather:) They meet up in the Costco parking lot til about 9:30 when security moves tham along. When that happens, where else do they go to? Appplebees:( once a month for that place is enough for me... Anyway most of these guys are younger and have no idea that any TD's were ever produced before 2003:confused: I show up and get the 'nice LeBaron, does it have a turbo?' line a couple times, so a small history of turbo powered Mopars ensues and I am one of the gang after that.

Now our CaSDAC group has committed a few speed infractions at the meetings but these guys ONLY want to race and race eachother with the Who's faster than who mentality. the whole pecking order/class system is in place for the SRT gang:confused: Anyway, I end up reluctantly agreeing to a freeway pull with two of the stage 1 guys. Keep in mind I have just put the FMIC and new clutch in the TC so some fueling/tuning/break in issues are still being resolved.

We leave Applebees when they start turning off the lights about 11pm and after more parking lot discussions of who is lining up with who, we head out. We kinda leave in a tangle but end up sorted out pretty well on the 91 freeway and SRT #1 lines up next to me. He gives the three honk and we go. TC spools up RIGHT NOW as always and I ooze away from him til I am 3+ ahead by 110 or so:D Pretty cool, I used to lose to the SRT's before the FMIC. Guy #2 pulls along side, pretty much the same result but he stays with the TC a little better. Then the 'fast guy' or at least the fastest guy at the GTG that night, pulls along side. Knowing that I'm in over my head, (and he wasn't part of the pair up that we agreed on) I kinda just smile and wave. He is goin crazy with the BOV noise directed at me but I just kinda chill for a mile or so till a flash of black whips past us. An NSX with exhaust/rims/lowered/whatever was the flash.

Fast guy decides to chase down mr NSX so I step it up a bit to hang off their back bumpers to watch the action. I go first cause I am gonna need it to stay anywhere near these guys, and by the time I get to within 15-20 yards they hit it. They are pretty much side by side till SRT fastguy bangs into his limiter and he drops back 1/2 a car. 100, 110, 120 and they are pulling away from me but not by that much!:partywoot: Maybe 10-12 car lengths by the top of their run. I thought they would leave the TC for dead but it didn't happen that way.

The gang goes there own way and a few miles later, feeling good, but I am thinking the TC didn't pull as hard as it did a couple days before the last time I drove it. The boost gauge/AF guage is not actually mounted just yet, it is still kinda wedged up on the dash until I can fab up a bracket for it so to see it, I have to hold it and do the WOT thing. I do that for the first time of the night, and I am only seeing 14PSI:( I had been running 17 with the new FMIC and clutch but had also reworked the granger line and cleaned the ball/seat that afternoon. So on all three pulls that night, I shorted myself three PSI of boost:banghead:

I'm going back out to the 909 in a couple weeks to meet up with those guys again:eyebrows:

Birddog
09-01-2007, 04:32 PM
So about once a month here outside of Reno we have "street drags" at Fernley Raceway. Its a poor excuse for a dragstrip, but its a fun place to go out and do some grudge races and keeps people of the street. Here's the real funny part, the track is actually a little uphill, well some of it is semi flat, and the last 300ft is a pretty good grade. The track isn't 1/4 mile, but its longer than an 1/8. They're theory is they compensated for the uphill by making the track shorter, so it actually equals out to 1/4 mile :confused: :confused: So I took the charger out last night for some racing after finally getting the car together after about 2 years. First run had all kinds of problems, breaking up about 4500rpm. Came back and found some weird codes, checked all my connections and reset the ecu, then after that was fine. They have some timing lights there, but there's no way they're accurate as I launched hard and ran a 14.01 at 108mph :confused2: :confused2: Not exactly sure how thats possible, but the car was running great and pulling hard. That was of course until I decide to race a guy in an srt-4 with some work done to it. Did my burnout and the power loss light kickes on, decide to run him anyways. Launched hard on him and had him by almost a car, then had to short shift it because it was breaking up again, so every shift he reeled me in a little bit until he had me by a fender on the top end. Owell, there's always next time. :thumb: :thumb:

Don't feel too bad.. We have an honest to goodness NHRA track about 12 minutes from our house that I can't run at..
Guess what that means... Guys like me that don't spend WAAAYYY too much time making sure the car meets every little nitpicky ------- tech guy's rule get screwed unless we drive the 2 hours to a normal track...So backroads it is! I think the ghetto track is a great idea!:thumb:

Not trying to hijack Tyler but this seems to fit here since you mentioned SRT4's...

Was bored on Thursday night and since the best damn meet up in SoCal isn't until next Thursday (BTW thats the SD/TD meet at Applebees, first Thursday of the month 1238 Imperial hwy, LaHabra 8pm;) ), I decided to go hang with the 909/Inland Empire SRT4 gang. It's a warm night so definately top down in the TC Masi weather:) They meet up in the Costco parking lot til about 9:30 when security moves tham along. When that happens, where else do they go to? Appplebees:( once a month for that place is enough for me... Anyway most of these guys are younger and have no idea that any TD's were ever produced before 2003:confused: I show up and get the 'nice LeBaron, does it have a turbo?' line a couple times, so a small history of turbo powered Mopars ensues and I am one of the gang after that.

Now our CaSDAC group has committed a few speed infractions at the meetings but these guys ONLY want to race and race eachother with the Who's faster than who mentality. the whole pecking order/class system is in place for the SRT gang:confused: Anyway, I end up reluctantly agreeing to a freeway pull with two of the stage 1 guys. Keep in mind I have just put the FMIC and new clutch in the TC so some fueling/tuning/break in issues are still being resolved.

We leave Applebees when they start turning off the lights about 11pm and after more parking lot discussions of who is lining up with who, we head out. We kinda leave in a tangle but end up sorted out pretty well on the 91 freeway and SRT #1 lines up next to me. He gives the three honk and we go. TC spools up RIGHT NOW as always and I ooze away from him til I am 3+ ahead by 110 or so:D Pretty cool, I used to lose to the SRT's before the FMIC. Guy #2 pulls along side, pretty much the same result but he stays with the TC a little better. Then the 'fast guy' or at least the fastest guy at the GTG that night, pulls along side. Knowing that I'm in over my head, (and he wasn't part of the pair up that we agreed on) I kinda just smile and wave. He is goin crazy with the BOV noise directed at me but I just kinda chill for a mile or so till a flash of black whips past us. An NSX with exhaust/rims/lowered/whatever was the flash.

Fast guy decides to chase down mr NSX so I step it up a bit to hang off their back bumpers to watch the action. I go first cause I am gonna need it to stay anywhere near these guys, and by the time I get to within 15-20 yards they hit it. They are pretty much side by side till SRT fastguy bangs into his limiter and he drops back 1/2 a car. 100, 110, 120 and they are pulling away from me but not by that much!:partywoot: Maybe 10-12 car lengths by the top of their run. I thought they would leave the TC for dead but it didn't happen that way.

The gang goes there own way and a few miles later, feeling good, but I am thinking the TC didn't pull as hard as it did a couple days before the last time I drove it. The boost gauge/AF guage is not actually mounted just yet, it is still kinda wedged up on the dash until I can fab up a bracket for it so to see it, I have to hold it and do the WOT thing. I do that for the first time of the night, and I am only seeing 14PSI:( I had been running 17 with the new FMIC and clutch but had also reworked the granger line and cleaned the ball/seat that afternoon. So on all three pulls that night, I shorted myself three PSI of boost:banghead:

I'm going back out to the 909 in a couple weeks to meet up with those guys again:eyebrows:

What happens to you Cali guys late at night is considered morning traffic here in Chicago.. :D

altered7151
09-03-2007, 01:31 AM
Found a vid of the race against the SRT on one of the local boards:
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/Nitroushane/?action=view&current=57ChevyvsWhitechevyII.flv

The neon caught me sleepin at the light, but I definitely launched harder than him and had him by a car by 300 ft, thats when she started breaking up. Thinking maybe its time to step up in the ignition department.

badandy
09-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Found a vid of the race against the SRT on one of the local boards:
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/Nitroushane/?action=view&current=57ChevyvsWhitechevyII.flv

The neon caught me sleepin at the light, but I definitely launched harder than him and had him by a car by 300 ft, thats when she started breaking up. Thinking maybe its time to step up in the ignition department.
Nice Launch!:thumb:

altered7151
09-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah I'm really happy with the launch on the car, especially considering that its all stock suspension with air shocks or anything. I think if I stiffen up the rear I can get alot better times out of it.

Vigo
09-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Nice Launch!

ill second that! in comparison to the srt-4 you took off mad quick. maybe he hasnt learned how to use his quaife yet :p

dds78910
09-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Nice launch! Was this last Friday? I drove by when I was going to Yerington for the holiday weekend and was wondering what was going on at Fernley Raceway.

altered7151
09-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah that was last friday. It was a great night too, not too many people showed up because it was still raining off and on in Reno, so everyone figured it was raining at the track too. There wasn't a cloud in the sky over Fernley, and best of all there was 0 wind, which is very unusual out there. There's usually a good breeze and gust that blow dust and sand everywhere.

dds78910
09-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Are they going to have another race this year?

altered7151
09-05-2007, 02:34 PM
I believe Sept. 21st is the next race out at fernley.

Tony Lane
09-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Tyler -

Glad to see your project is near the finished stages. What times are you expecting for it? Low 12's?

altered7151
09-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm shooting for mid 12's on this setup. Then I think I wont mess with the 8-valve motor anymore and start building a 16 valve for it.