PDA

View Full Version : Mopar Mania @ Milan

ShelGame
08-31-2007, 09:00 AM
Is anyone plannign to go to Mopar Mania (http://www.milandragway.com/2007mopar.htm) tomorrow at Milan Dragway? I'll be there racing the Daytona, and looking for deals on parts...

ShelGame
09-01-2007, 11:03 PM
So, did anyone make it out? I saw at least one TM shirt walking around. There were a ton of Neons. I lost 2nd round - stupid breakout mistake. Bought a core block/head/crank at the swap meet from "Woody" - in case I need to build another 2.5.

Oh yeah! I dodged a bullet, too. 1st pass I lost the fire in 1 cylinder. 1st thought was "oh no, I roasted another piston", but there was no smoke out the breather at all. I get back to the pits, and pull #1 plug. It's all mashed and beaten up, the gap is closed shut, the ceramic is mostly gone, and the ceter electrode is bent over. But, no aluminum looking stuff on it like in the past. The other plugs all look good. Hmm, lets pull the valve cover and see if a lifter/valve dropped out - nope they all look good. WTF? OK, lets check the compression. 95psi - that's a little low, 125 is normal for this engine on my guage. Well, it's not gone anyway. So, lets put a new plug in and see if it runs. Now, won't crank, battery is dead from cranking it over to test the comp. Let it sit, and try it again (neglected to pack the generator/charger) and it fires right up. Seems a little rough, but it could be my imagination, could also be the weakened bat. So, I drive it round to charge the bat and check it out. Seems fine. 2nd pass, 14.13 et - right where it should be. Back in the pits I check the comp again, 125psi! My only guess is that the electrode insulator broke right off the plug, bounced around in the chamber for a couple rotations and then went out the exhaust. The top of the piston had some witness marks as well. I hope the pieces were small enough to not damage the turbo. But it all seems OK, now.

Ondonti
09-02-2007, 03:23 AM
for a moment sounded like ringland failure but I guess you lucked out.

dodgeshadowchik
09-02-2007, 04:40 PM
I didn't make it as it was discovered the Shelby would need a clutch. :/ Glad you hear you lucked out with your car!

ucku
09-08-2007, 11:37 PM
bob barker would be proud, i was there and saw you run down the track, won frist in the car show with a 89 csx:thumb:

BadAssPerformance
09-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Glad ya didnt break it Rob! :thumb:

Good job Pauly :thumb:

Wow, it has been like 10 years since I was at a Milan Mopar day... first track and event I ever drag raced at... beginner luck... runner up in the DOT class with '87 CSX # 252 ;)

ShelGame
09-09-2007, 08:09 AM
bob barker would be proud, i was there and saw you run down the track, won frist in the car show with a 89 csx:thumb:

The one with the Masi head? I saw that - nice car. Although, I have to admit, I don't get the dollar bills on the roof...

1FastCSX289
09-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Champion spark plugs?

I will probably be beaten for saying this.....but ive had this happen with champions before. I only run NGK's now.

ShelGame
09-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Nope. Well, maybe. I use Accel 111's. But, there's only like 3 spark plug mfg's in the US. So, they may be made by Champion for Accel. I'd run NGK's but I don't think I can find them in the heat range I want. Since I'm running pretty high boost on a non-IC Mitsu, I run much colder plugs than most guys. The Accel 111's are 5 steps colder than stock (116).

BadAssPerformance
09-09-2007, 09:51 AM
The one with the Masi head? I saw that - nice car. Although, I have to admit, I don't get the dollar bills on the roof...

Dollar bills? those are Benjamins! ;)

Nope. Well, maybe. I use Accel 111's. But, there's only like 3 spark plug mfg's in the US. So, they may be made by Champion for Accel. I'd run NGK's but I don't think I can find them in the heat range I want. Since I'm running pretty high boost on a non-IC Mitsu, I run much colder plugs than most guys. The Accel 111's are 5 steps colder than stock (116).

5 steps colder!!! damn! What kind of boost are you running? What kind of gas are you allowed to run in the 'stock' class?

ShelGame
09-09-2007, 03:13 PM
5 steps colder!!! damn! What kind of boost are you running? What kind of gas are you allowed to run in the 'stock' class?

I run VP C11 (110 octane). There's a list of approved fuels. Interesting enough, pump gas isn't legal for "stock" class - go figure. I run 15-18psi depending on how fast I want to go. I actually haven't yet pushed it past 16.5psi this year. Which is where it's at now.

I switched to the 111's (in the early spring and fall I run the 113's) after I blew up the car the first time while running 115's. After that, I switched to the 165deg t-stat and cold plugs.

BadAssPerformance
09-09-2007, 06:43 PM
LOL, that is funny that you cannot run 'pump gas' in a 'stock' class!

Wow, must run hot with the mitsu w/o an IC. I would have guessed you could get to at least 20psi on race gas... How much ignition timing ya got on top of that? I'm guessing the cam is stock and stright up too?

ShelGame
09-09-2007, 08:48 PM
LOL, that is funny that you cannot run 'pump gas' in a 'stock' class!

Wow, must run hot with the mitsu w/o an IC. I would have guessed you could get to at least 20psi on race gas... How much ignition timing ya got on top of that? I'm guessing the cam is stock and stright up too?

Cam is the '88 TBI roller, straight up. I tried it +/- 6 degrees, without much noticeable difference in ET. Actually, my 60's are best straight up. I run a few degrees more than stock at WOT in boost. I wouldn't have thought I'd have a problem with knock either, but I've had to back off slightly due getting knock (and I upped the knock sensitivity table since I upped the boost).

BadAssPerformance
09-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Gotcha... forgot you weren't running a stock cal ;)

Did you notice a gain going to the 88 TBI from the 89 Turbo cam?

ShelGame
09-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Gotcha... forgot you weren't running a stock cal ;)

Did you notice a gain going to the 88 TBI from the 89 Turbo cam?

Dunno. Never ran the turbo cam. I built it from the start with the TBI cam in it. But, I knew I was going to run lower boost, so I wanted a little bit more duration in the cam.

BadAssPerformance
09-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Hmmm.. would be interesting to see if it is different.

ucku
09-13-2007, 01:00 AM
Well the money is all gone, they started comine off , and then there was two many people fowing me around. So i pealed off the hole pice and now it is just faded paint up there but that,s ok i am going to park the csx in a few weeks. This my daily driver and it,s been a fun summer with the car but time to park it and work on some of my other cars over the winter time.

BadAssPerformance
09-13-2007, 01:15 AM
Bummer, it looked good a month ago :thumb:

Speedeuphoria
09-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Hmmm.. would be interesting to see if it is different.

yeah especially since its a consistent car