PDA

View Full Version : let's play a game

dodgeshadowchik
02-08-2006, 08:45 PM
..called identify this turbo!

i have NO CLUE what this thing came off of, I inherited it. It's in great shape, but i can't get it to work with ANYTHING. The turbine wheel should be clipped from the measurments, but it doesn't appear to be. The housings are also weird. If i could pinpoint what this came off of, i may be able to find what i need to get it to work!

note: the pictures below are not of the turbo i have, but one i found online. same housings and everyhting. mine pretty much looks brand new. :/ 'tis a shame, really.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/dodgeshadowchik/posturbo2.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/dodgeshadowchik/posturbo.jpg

turbovanmanČ
02-08-2006, 09:09 PM
That could be off an RX7, they had sequential turbos and what you have there would make sense.

turboaddict
02-08-2006, 11:40 PM
whos the manufacturer? i dont think its from a 3rd gen rexer and i know it not from second or first.

The S is Silent
02-08-2006, 11:44 PM
That could be off an RX7, they had sequential turbos and what you have there would make sense.

Some of the Audi's had sequential also. Maseratti Biturbos as well.

finallall
02-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Nope...That's a Chevy Turbo that is designed to work woth a carborator setup. I remember seeing one on the J-Yard a while back. I bet it's an AR Research turbo.

afsautoworx
02-09-2006, 01:53 AM
sell yours online and buy one that fits?

turbovanmanČ
02-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Nope...That's a Chevy Turbo that is designed to work woth a carborator setup. I remember seeing one on the J-Yard a while back. I bet it's an AR Research turbo.

What kind of car/truck?

Dave
02-09-2006, 10:09 AM
It's an ugly looking thing alright. :thumb:

dodgeshadowchik
02-09-2006, 02:36 PM
wow, i guess i forgot to write what i did know about it. it does say "Airreasearch" on it. and the tag on the compressor side says it's a T3. thanks for the ideas where it came from. i did an image search for carb turbo chevys, and came across a pic of a covair. the housing in the intake side looked identical tot his one, so i believe i may have found the car it came off of. thanks a bunch!
:)

cordes
02-13-2006, 10:15 AM
wow, i guess i forgot to write what i did know about it. it does say "Airreasearch" on it. and the tag on the compressor side says it's a T3. thanks for the ideas where it came from. i did an image search for carb turbo chevys, and came across a pic of a covair. the housing in the intake side looked identical tot his one, so i believe i may have found the car it came off of. thanks a bunch!
:)

I think that the corvair would have been before the time of the AIResearch turbos would it not?

FWIW, I heard that the turbos on the corvairs took FOREVER to spool.

If that is a turbo off of a GM carbed car, as previosly mentioned, I would think that it would have been off of the 78-79? carbed turbo buicks and montys which came with the carbed turbo V6.

ETA: if it is a T3 center section, you should hopfully be able to put a chryco turbine housing on there if you can figure out what kind of wheel it has in there. I thought that the GM T3s had standard turbine wheels like our TI/TIIs:confused:

WVRampage
02-15-2006, 02:18 AM
there was also a turbo trans am with a V8 in it,I have seen one at a car show and cant remember what the turbo looked like i do remember it had a quadrajet on the intake side of it and then it fed in to the intake, the lady that had it said it ran real good.

dodgeshadowchik
02-16-2006, 03:32 PM
i've heard about those! i've also heard they are a real pain to find parts for. :) i remember i guy calling me at work asking if he had a power steering pulley for his 1980 turbo trans am. we didn't, and he was dissapointed because he looked all over, even ebay and junk yards for one. but they are neat!

as for my turbo, it's on ebay now. i got a different one that i think i can get to work better.

3Bar_Mopar
02-16-2006, 04:07 PM
there was also a turbo trans am with a V8 in it,I have seen one at a car show and cant remember what the turbo looked like i do remember it had a quadrajet on the intake side of it and then it fed in to the intake, the lady that had it said it ran real good.

There was one at a local junkyard near me....It was rusted real bad since the hood was gone.. but it had a carb, turbo and V8 in a T/A body.

Mario
02-16-2006, 04:37 PM
This game is boring.

turbovanmanČ
02-17-2006, 01:24 AM
Turbo T/A's rocked, too bad they were geared for 200mph, lol! My friend had one, no get up and go but once we got to around 60 mph, it would keep pulling and pulling-fun car, :thumb:

cordes
02-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Turbo T/A's rocked, too bad they were geared for 200mph, lol! My friend had one, no get up and go but once we got to around 60 mph, it would keep pulling and pulling-fun car, :thumb:

You must be refering to the 89' TTA right? I have heard that the carbed V8 TAs were total dogs regardless of what speed you were doing, or the gear in the rear.

turbovanmanČ
02-19-2006, 11:37 PM
You must be refering to the 89' TTA right? I have heard that the carbed V8 TAs were total dogs regardless of what speed you were doing, or the gear in the rear.

Nope, the older carb'd ones. People over exaggerated how gutless they were. Yes, in the city they were bad, on the highway, they were fun. I have a customer with one, its a black 80 I think, brand new, its got 7000 km's on it. I service it once a year and yeah, in the city, its ug, open her up, its fun. :thumb:

cordes
02-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Nope, the older carb'd ones. People over exaggerated how gutless they were. Yes, in the city they were bad, on the highway, they were fun. I have a customer with one, its a black 80 I think, brand new, its got 7000 km's on it. I service it once a year and yeah, in the city, its ug, open her up, its fun. :thumb:

Sounds like it is better than my old Turbo Coupe then. That thing took some work to get it to really move from 45MPH up.

johnl
02-21-2006, 04:11 PM
A lot of those late 70's early 80's cars, in order to meet CAFE minimum mileage standards had stupid tall gearing so they could make the mandated numbers. As a result they were dogs until you got em up on top. Later the manufacturers literally "geared up" their act and replaced the three speeds with four speeds so that they could hit the "highway" number while still getting out of the hole decently.

lotharamc
02-22-2006, 12:50 PM
The second Smokey and the Bandit movie used one of these turbo trans ams.

Lee'sdaytona
02-27-2006, 08:41 PM
I know some of the late 70's early 80's buick rivieras had turbo'ed V-8 engines...little tid bit there
-Lee

440trk
03-01-2006, 10:17 PM
I believe the 301 cid Turbo Trans Am was a 79/80 option. I've no experience with the turbo version per se..but the N/A 301's were slugs.

GLHS377
03-15-2006, 02:43 PM
80-81. though the recaro edition had a pretty sweet.interior and wheels. father in law had a really nice one for a while. we only measured 4psi of boost in the manifold. all of which were horrible and flow-ugly and exhaust crossed over down around the front and up top through the passenger manifold. gah! but it had ----pit adjustable boost... i guess 0-4psi. only ~700lbs of engine castings underhood...
-jason