PDA

View Full Version : Why? Every year this event kills me!

powermaxx
08-27-2007, 09:04 AM
So every year there is a "Street" day at the track. Attracts lots of cars. Last two years it's been some sort of breakage that has kept me out of it or made the car "slow". This year is no different (again...).

I recently swapped my 5spd back in after testing some converters and such. So I'm "back in the saddle again" so to speak. Car ran flawless the Friday night races series (broke out, way too fast but it was a good run). So I'm loaded for bear come Sunday. Get there nice an early and make my first time run against some sort of VW (GTI?). Launched hard and was on a good pass. Caught the VW but about the 1000ft mark noticed it wasn't picking up speed as usual. Still out ran him with a 12.6 to his 12.8 (or so). So I pull up for my time slip and the car chugs and dies! WTF! Get it started and see a huge puff of smoke out the tailpipe. I can now smell coolant so I know what's up now. So onto the trailer it goes.

I had smelt some coolant during my pass but thought it was the car running before I did (he smoked a little also..).
Seems this event is just not in my future. Had plenty of folks come check out why the car was on the trailer. They made a lot of comments like "Man, I love to watch this car run" "At least you beat the VW and with a blown HG!" "I look forward to seeing the "Old School" FWD beat up on these newer Imports"

Seems I'm getting a rep as the "Old fast FWD Guy" :D .

Haven't pulled the head yet but it appears nothing got hurt (drained it and ran for a few minutes, no clatter, etc...).

Now where did I put my walker?

ohiorob
08-28-2007, 01:01 PM
I feel your pain. the last 3 years at the mopar nats something always go wrong but always run great the day befor. maybe next year will be better for us.

I'm 52 and it seems like I'm the oldest guy running at the import races. I think they call me grandpa behind my back but they all like to see me run.

good luck next time out.

turbovanmanČ
08-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Bummer man, well look on the bright side, at least you got to race, :confused: :hail: :clap:

2.216VTurbo
08-28-2007, 06:26 PM
I feel your pain. the last 3 years at the mopar nats something always go wrong but always run great the day befor. maybe next year will be better for us.

I'm 52 and it seems like I'm the oldest guy running at the import races. I think they call me grandpa behind my back but they all like to see me run.

good luck next time out.

You're only 52 Rob?? When I met you at SDAC this year I'd have guessed...:lol: At least the Hawaiian print shirts keep you feeling young right;) ?

GLHS069
08-28-2007, 06:58 PM

good luck next time out.

No, we call you Jimmy Buffet!!!

85glht
08-31-2007, 04:44 PM
You are not the only one. I can never get my car to run well at Englishtown N.J. (Mopar Atlantic Nationals) I just don't expect much when I go to that event anymore :(

powermaxx
09-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Well it looks like I blew another one today. I couldn't make the call for round 3. :(

So now I'm wondering why this one went out. I was careful this time, it was absolutly clean this time.

Now I've been running this setup for a couple of years with no problem (no blown gaskets). Now I've blown two within 2 weeks? Running the same boost also, no changes at all.:confused2:

And for the record Rob, I'm 54 so got you beat you young punk! :D (or is that whipper snapper? I get so confused now...)

88_pacifica
09-16-2007, 09:24 PM
:confused2: That's odd.... warped maybe? How's the head and deck of the block? Glass smooth and perfectly flat/straight? Man that sux... :(

BadAssPerformance
09-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck Steve, keep at it and it will turn around, its just a part of racing! :thumb:

powermaxx
09-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Car never has been overheated at all. Head was brand new earlier this year. This head flows a lot more than the old one (picked up a full .4sec over old one). Maybe just too much cylinder pressure now?

I could change it out and finish up the season (last race this Friday) but I've decided to not thrash on it this week. (My Challenger is nearing completion and I need to "Thrash" on it so I can make a test run before the track closes. :D )

So the GLHS is done for the year. It was a fun season.

BadAssPerformance
09-17-2007, 08:23 AM
I changed 4 or 5 headgaskets on my Z in 2005... I thought the main problem was I was over under or over torquing then studs each time, switch to a new set of MP bolts and the same thing happened. Switched to a Cometic with the ARP studs I was using and it held 30psi till the motor broke in Topeka.

Where are the gaskets failing at? Both the same?

And I agree, I'd get the Challenger done too! :thumb:

BIGBRUDDA
09-17-2007, 08:37 AM

good luck next time out.

Yeah......... but they call you GRANPA as you're goin away Rob!:D
"age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm":amen: