PDA

View Full Version : What vendors are selling fake Walbros??

Ondonti
08-27-2007, 01:15 AM
So i made some threads on td.com but didnt use a very good title.

I really want to know who is selling fake walbros.
Could be ANY vendor (for any car etc)

http://www.evocoupe.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2768&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I am pretty sure I have already seen 1 fake pump in real life. I almost installed it on my car.

I bought another pump for myself and I cant quite remember what it looks like but Im probably going to pull it out and check.

I wont say where these pumps are from.
Sometimes the distributor (not the vendor) sends the vendor fake pumps because they cost about 25% less then the real thing and then the distributor makes $$$

NEVER buy a walbro on ebay.
THe fake pumps do not perform like a walbro, and they dont have the high pressure ability...and they tend to slow down when under load (fuel pressure will drop even when you are not even close to the limit of a real walbro)

I dont have a picture of the pump that I think is fake but I have a picture of the fuel hoses that came with it.
If your walbro came with fuel hose that is none submergable, its most likely a fake. I would invest in another fuel pump soon.
----------------------
Identifying a fake

Newer fake walbros have the walbro stamp, patent numbers, and even say "made in USA" even though its a Chinese product.

-Dull grey exterior
-non submergable fuel hose provided.

These pumps have been around since 2005 and while you might think you can trust your vendor, you probably cant trust their distributor.

Seems there have been a lot of walbro horror stories in the last 2 years and this is why.
I found this when i was looking for walbro reliability because someone was making fun of them and I thought that walbros are great pumps....at least the real ones are.

Real walbro
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/wiragsr/walbrogss341m.jpg
Fake walbro
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9533/fakewalbroty0.jpg

Ondonti
08-27-2007, 01:19 AM
Here is an email conversation between the chinese and a US fuel pump vendor.

Makes me feel sick.
I know people are greedy enough to do this.

http://www.exelife.com/blog/automotive/walbro-fuel-pump-forgeries-who-knew.html

raccoon
08-27-2007, 01:26 AM
I am so sick of sub standard chinese s***.

turbovanmanČ
08-27-2007, 02:06 AM
I moved it here as its not a lounge topic.

Thanks for the info on these pumps, it would explain alot of why some people are having issues, like wearing out fast, the hoses blowing in the tank.

If your going to accuse our vendors of swapping for chinese crap, please have proof and post it in the vendor section of the appropriate vendor please.

Ondonti
08-27-2007, 02:43 AM
Simon

Please quote where I accused a specific vendor?
You know the word vendor does not = a turbo dodge parts seller

I have no idea which TD vendor sold the pump I saw before and I didnt know about this when I was looking at the pump a month ago.

I would rather get pictures of peoples pumps......but Im guessing people love their vendors to much to do that.

Still dont think you read my post.

Its people who distribute pumps who are the bigger scare here. Not vendors (unless its a shady vendor). Your vendor gets pumps from a distributor most likely and you probably dont know a think about the distributor.

I am not posting the picture I have of the fuel hoses because they will probably ressemble a lot of stuff people here have and that would implicate a specific vendor or 2 or 3 or all of them.

My newest pump I have is not from one of the sponsoring vendors on a fwd dodge site that I know of and I dont remember what it looks like.

Maybe its not appropriate to mention this but the pump that I broke (not the pumps fault) last month I got in early 2006 from TU. Looking at it seems to indicate it is a real walbro.
I am not saying they sell real pumps and someone else sells fake pumps!
Just saying that the one I got from them in 2006 looks real. A distributor can send you a fake and the vendor would have no idea as far as I know.

Maybe all the vendors in 2006 sold real pumps, maybe not??? and in 2007??? I dont know!

I need to pull my replacement 90+ pump from my race cars tank and look @ it.
Its harder to tell for the 90+ pump cause it doesnt come with fake fuel hose etc.

I havent told the owner yet of that old style pump that i think his pump is fake. He hasnt put it in his car yet so Im not really worried.
I wanted to see if anyone else knew anything about this problem or had pictures etc (without naming sellers).

Ondonti
08-27-2007, 02:49 AM
I will take a picture of the 90+ pump that I damaged this summer that I believe is real.
I know who sold my new pump so when I check it out I wont have any questions about who needs to order me a new fuel pump.

I have heard of some Nissan vendors accidentally selling fakes pumps and then just sending their customers real pumps to make up for the "screwage"

nBALLS
08-27-2007, 02:54 AM
THANK YOU FOR THIS VALUABLE INFORMATION!!!1!

:thumb: :hail: :love:

turbovanmanČ
08-27-2007, 03:44 AM
Simon

Please quote where I accused a specific vendor?
You know the word vendor does not = a turbo dodge parts seller

Chill, the way it read it was like you were blaming our vendors for selling fake pumps but rereading it for the 10th time, maybe not, :confused:

Speedeuphoria
08-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Are these mostly intank pumps?or external as well?

Ondonti
08-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Im sure its just about all walbro pumps. They have been doing this for probably 3 years so Im sure by now they make everything.

Simon, im pretty sure a pump Ive seen from a vendor is a fake but I dont know which vendor it is and most likely they have no idea that this even happened. From what I remember about TD vendors they tend to not stock fuel pumps but have their distributors ship them directly.

ShelGame
08-27-2007, 08:55 AM
From the article, it makes it sound like ALL "generic" Walbro's (IE, if it doesn't have a specific application or install kit) are fake.

JDAWG
08-27-2007, 09:17 AM
jesus christ, china has counterfeited enough stuff. Holy crap now our fuel pumps? Well I guess just sending us counterfeited food isnt good enough.

Turbodave
08-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Im sure its just about all walbro pumps. They have been doing this for probably 3 years so Im sure by now they make everything.

Simon, im pretty sure a pump Ive seen from a vendor is a fake but I dont know which vendor it is and most likely they have no idea that this even happened. From what I remember about TD vendors they tend to not stock fuel pumps but have their distributors ship them directly.

I bought a pump from FWD a few months back when they had them on sale, haven't installed it into anything yet so I just went out to the garage and took a look at it. Happy to say it looks like the legit made in USA version, has efi hoses for in the tank and a shiny housing for the pump. Also, I got the pump in 2 days along with a bunch of other parts so I'm pretty sure they keep them in stock.

It does suck all this crazy stuff that China is doing counterfeiting everything from toothpaste to fuel pumps. Used to be you could just not buy stuff that said made in China, but now even stuff that says Made in USA might be coming from there. With all the talk on the news of food and other issues coming from there I think we really need to figure out a better way of controlling what comes over from China.

glhs727
08-27-2007, 10:18 AM
I can't speak for all vendors, but I can speak for FWD Performance.
We have always bought, and will continue to buy all our walbro pump directly from Walbro's largest distributor. You can rest assured these are not chinese knock-offs. We go out of our way to NOT sell chinese products, (although that is hard to do nowadays) but I do agree that it has gotten ridiculous about China's rampant disregard for the copyright and patent laws. I have seen some really good knock-offs especially with turbo related parts. So good in fact, the packaging is identical including logos etc..Yet, somehow these items are let into the USA. I'm not blaming customs, they have a lot to look at, but if a non-USA manufacturer gets caught sending conterfeit goods to the US, ALL their shipments should be confiscated and they should be allowed to do business in the US. How many tainted food products have come infrom China lately? How many toy recalls have there been because Chinese companys are using lead in them and sending them to the US?
well, enough of my rant.....
later,
Cindy

Ondonti
08-27-2007, 11:04 PM
I bought a pump from FWD a few months back when they had them on sale, haven't installed it into anything yet so I just went out to the garage and took a look at it. Happy to say it looks like the legit made in USA version, has efi hoses for in the tank and a shiny housing for the pump. Also, I got the pump in 2 days along with a bunch of other parts so I'm pretty sure they keep them in stock.

It does suck all this crazy stuff that China is doing counterfeiting everything from toothpaste to fuel pumps. Used to be you could just not buy stuff that said made in China, but now even stuff that says Made in USA might be coming from there. With all the talk on the news of food and other issues coming from there I think we really need to figure out a better way of controlling what comes over from China.

bah you said where you got it so a picture would not be so ethical to post :P
I wanna see though. Im paranoid about my own pumps.

glhs727
08-27-2007, 11:12 PM
From what I remember about TD vendors they tend to not stock fuel pumps but have their distributors ship them directly.

Well then it is definetly not US. We have NEVER had a fuel pump drop shipped. We keep plenty in stock, and on the occasion that we do run out, we have some in transit to us, so the wait is minimal.
later,
Cindy

MiniMopar
08-28-2007, 11:30 AM
It's not the Chinese that are necessarily to blame here. It's greedy little outfits that contract the Chinese to make these knockoffs. There are factories in China that specialize in copy-catting products made elsewhere, but they don't necessarily understand the market outside well enough to know what to make. "Cha bu duo" translates to "short by not much" or "it's close enough for government work".

This happens a lot with specialty/boutique type stuff, especially NOS stuff. The volume is low enough not to attract the attention of customs, etc. They have enough to do. One example I have experience with is vacuum tubes. NOS tubes go for big money and the supply is nearly dried-up for popular tubes from the 50s and 60s and the JAN supplies are also nearly gone. Unscrupulous companies see the demand and have Chinese factories duplicate them and label them as "RCA" or whatever and sell them for NOS prices. They make HUGE money where a $2 tube goes for $100.

Bubba
08-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Got mine on E-bay. Real Walbro pump been using it for 1 1/2 years without any problems. I remember the shiny housing, just like the previous one I had bought....got lucky I guess.

Directconnection
08-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Brent, I think this informative thread is just what the community needs.

Don't forget...those that have had their 255 walbro's crap out on them or run out of steam... that there are 2 Walbro 255 pumps. A normal and a high pressure version.

ShadowFromHell
09-06-2007, 11:34 PM
wow... I think I have a pair of fakes. When I swap the pump out of the tona into the CSX Im going to take a close look.

thanks

Dez
09-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Well, somone open one up and take pictures of the craftmanship. I don't see why it would not work, unless it is glued together. As far as the hoses go, just buy high quality ones.

I bought one from Ebay about a year ago, that is when my original pump went on me and installed a OEM one. I will check it in a few minutes, if infact it does seem to be "fake" i will open it up and post pictures for you guys.

Dez
09-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Well it was right beside my table lol

So i check it out and it looks legit. Has the Walbro stamp, patent numbers and "MADE IN THE USA".

Well, good luck guys and i guess look out for those "fakes"

TopDollar69
09-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Here are some pics of the unit I got from FWD performance earlier this year. It appears to be legit, and the hoses that come in the parts kit are labled EFI.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/new_pics_138.jpg
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/new_pics_139.jpg

TopDollar69
09-08-2007, 04:25 PM
The pump I have pictured looks to be different from the one pictured earlier, is the one I have for the 90 up cars?

Directconnection
09-08-2007, 04:27 PM
I have one from TU and it looks to be legit as well.

Good to know that our top 2 vendors aren't skimping out to make a few extra $ at our expense.

BLUEBALL
02-23-2008, 01:40 PM
So only fake Wallys have the pos hose? Got one here that has been in for about 3 months/0 miles and hose has fukkn melted. Solves my low pressure mystery:mad: Body is not as dull as one in pics though. Looks like the good Walbro pic,so wtf:confused2:.

And how do you identify the submersible hose? This hose had the EFI marks on it. I would recommend to anyone to get diff hose than whats in the box.

zin
02-23-2008, 03:44 PM
It's tough, they've cosmetically copied them so well, it's almost a crap shoot. Walbro really should change the appearance of the pumps or a a coded date or something to make it possible to tell the diff, otherwise they'll be the ones getting a black eye for sub par pumps, and the rip-off artists in China will just skate along. Really a crappy deal when a legit company has to do something like this to save their good name!

All that said, I'm going to take the advice of the guys at Walbro, and only buy the pump as part of a car specific kit as they state that is the only way sell them. So, if it's a loose pump, it's likely to be a fake!

My .02

PentastarTurbo
02-23-2008, 04:36 PM
this was a topic brought up on customtacos (toyota forum) a while back..

dam good info on here..

I wouldn't think twice about anything purchased from TU or FWD..

quantum
02-24-2008, 01:28 AM
What baffles me is the fact that these companies in China don't realize (or care at least) what they are doing to the reputation of all products from their country. There are a lot of high quality parts that are produced in China; but more and more companies there decide to cut corrners and overlook safety standards (Not just these fuel pumps, look at all the lead paint stuff lately) which makes all products there look bad. If this trend continues to get worse the general american consumer will eventually avoid buying products that were produced there and they will lose the brunt of their income.

tryingbe
02-24-2008, 01:40 AM
You have to understand how people thinks...

Most don't think of nationalism. Everybody for themselves and ONLY for themselves. If there are corner to be cut, they will cut it, in the name of profit.

News like factories that close over night, leaving all the workers with no paid, no benefit, nothing after Chinese New Year is not too uncommon.

GLHNSLHT2
09-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Anyone know where the sister thread is about this that had where to get the hose?

tryingbe
09-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I have some 5/16 inch fuel hoses rated for in tank use.

How long do you need?

GLHNSLHT2
09-04-2008, 07:27 PM
I was looking for a part # and local supplier so that incase I needed some I could have the car up and running yesterday. But I think I toasted the pump. Even though the pump sounds fine after the car is up and running I'm getting a sound in the fuel filter like air is getting into the system. I replaced the Fuel Filter and pulled the pump out of the tank. The hoses in the tank look a-ok and I ordered the pump from Autoperformanceengineering.com so I'm pretty sure I got a genuine Walbro although I didn't pull it out to see if it was shiny or not. But the sock had some area's of black in it so i think I sucked up some metal and grinding wheel dust and ran it through the pump. I was lazy and didn't feel like taking off the return line at the tank to flush the line after cutting off the end to put a tube nut and sleeve and AN fitting onto it. I have a new one coming from FWDP that should be here tomorrow. So we'll see if that fixes the problem.