PDA

View Full Version : Flash codes from an OBDII Buick, is is possible?

TopDollar69
08-25-2007, 02:55 PM
A long time ago I purchased a worthless Haynes manual for automotive computer codes. Anyways this book is telling me that it's possible to get flash codes on the CEL on some early OBDII GM cars if you jumper pins 5 and 6 on the 16 pin diagnostic port. The port in my 94 Park Ave doesnt have a pin 6 only four and five. Jumpering four and five doesnt do anything. Just wondering if this is even possible.

Thanks,

Ben Huebner

GLHS592
08-25-2007, 03:06 PM
I was under the impression that OBDII cars don't flash codes. Auto Zone will read codes on domestic vehicles for free. If you don't have an AZ, surely there is another parts store that will.

turbovanmanČ
08-25-2007, 05:14 PM
OBDII won't flash codes. Is the ALDL connector square ish or ovalish? If square ish, you jump the 2 pins that are together in the same row, can't remember which ones, this will flash codes.

TopDollar69
08-25-2007, 06:55 PM
I brought it to Advanced and scanned it. Looks like I have a cam sensor going out, or some bad wiring. Anyone know where the cam sensor is at on a non SC 3800?

turbovanmanČ
08-25-2007, 07:12 PM
I brought it to Advanced and scanned it. Looks like I have a cam sensor going out, or some bad wiring. Anyone know where the cam sensor is at on a non SC 3800?

Timing cover, should be around the top of the waterpump pulley. If its going, it could be the magnet has fallen or falling off the timing gear, :o

TopDollar69
08-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Will that cause an intermintant non starting issue?

turbovanmanČ
08-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Will that cause an intermintant non starting issue?

Yes, GM is like our TM's, it uses the cam sensor to sync the fuel injection. Once the car is running, it no longer uses it so you can unplug it and it will still run, shut the car off and it won't restart.