PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak (Ongoing)

LowSL2
08-24-2007, 05:51 PM
So I removed the timing belt the other day and I've been taking things apart to clean the years of grime off them. I pulled the tensioner/power steering pump bracket off today to clean it and to find the source of my coolant leak. Here's what I found behind it where the head meets the block.

http://home.comcast.net/~lowsl2/rt/head_01.jpg

Is this what you guys have been talking about when the head gasket leaks coolant? I used my cooling system tester and pressurized the cooling system and nothing came out.

A little background info: Head gasket was replaced 4000 miles ago for this same problem by previous owners mechanic. Head was "machined and hot tanked".

Now I'm going to go :banghead:

1FastCSX289
08-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Hard to tell if its coming from under the gasket. A lot of times people mistake coolant leaking from the exhaust studs as a head gasket leak. THere are a few exhaust manifold studs that run into water jackets and they tend to leak if sealant isnt put on the threads when the bolts are installed. This may be your problem.

Let the car get hot and then put the pressure tester on it (or just look back there again, because the system may already be pressurized).

What kind of gasket was used the last time it was changed?

overlordsshadow
08-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Notice how the head is also gross looking even above the meeting of the block? Good candidate for exhaust studs.

1FastCSX289
08-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Notice how the head is also gross looking even above the meeting of the block? Good candidate for exhaust studs.

Yea, you can see some brown above the HG......I dont think its coming out of that (visible) stud though. Sometimes they leak out of the stud and run down the the groove where the head and block meet. Could be on the opposite side.

entity
08-24-2007, 06:23 PM
now if it was the bolt leaking coolant pass. would it not smoke more or burn off there faster or more significant than below the manifold? I'm thinking of heat here.

iTurbo
08-24-2007, 07:09 PM
I vote on it being the exhaust manifold stud. On the TIII head, only the two outer-most studs thread into a coolant passage.

LowSL2
08-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to do some more investigating when I get the timing belt back on. The previous owner had the head gasket replaced at a service station so who knows what that guy did.

looneytuner
08-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to do some more investigating when I get the timing belt back on. The previous owner had the head gasket replaced at a service station so who knows what that guy did.

I had one replaced out of town and got 5 miles before the steam started pouring out. Drove 130 miles back home screaming and cursing the mech that did the job. I should have just paid for towing it home instead of getting it fixed by an idiot.

I'm guessing a felpro gasket. That's the corner where they get crushed. the block surface may also be pitted from corrosion if it leaked there for a while.

jckrieger
12-13-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead. My 91 R/T has been leaking coolant for over a year now and I decided to try and track down the source. It looks like coolant is leaking from the back of the head, as there is coolant on both the trans and below the power steering pump. The turbo lines look fine and the car has never had work done to it (65K mile car). What are the odds I am going to find a leaking freeze plug on the back of the head or an exhaust stud that's causing a problem? I'm guessing it's a head gasket problem... and if I pull the head on this car it's not going back together stock! Somebody tell me the coolant leak isn't likely the head gasket!

jckrieger
10-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Almost a year and no responses. I guess I'll be pulling the head, as the coolant leak is now about a pint of coolant every tank of gas. I'm going to see if it will make it up to Chicago and back today.

-Clark

turbovanmanČ
10-16-2010, 01:50 PM
There are 3 cup type plugs that are exposed, can't tell if all or one are coolant or oil, there is one at the back, thermostat side. There are also 4 allen headed plugs but they are for oil. And as stated, the outer studs are in the coolant passage.

So its either one of the plugs, the head gasket, warped head or warped block or a combination of all, :p

jckrieger
10-16-2010, 02:20 PM
There are 3 cup type plugs that are exposed, can't tell if all or one are coolant or oil, there is one at the back, thermostat side. There are also 4 allen headed plugs but they are for oil. And as stated, the outer studs are in the coolant passage.

So its either one of the plugs, the head gasket, warped head or warped block or a combination of all, :p

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize there were so many plugs in the bottom of the head. Never saw a picture posted here of the bottom of a T3 head. I'll pull the head once the salt hits the road, as that's when the car will be stored for a few months anyway.

turbovanmanČ
10-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Wish my camera worked, I'd take a pic.

Lotashelbys
10-16-2010, 05:34 PM
I can put about a 99% guarantee that its the oil hole on the deck side of the head. Its very close to the corner head bolt hole and over time the composite gasket "swells" up in that area and causes it to leak out of the corner of the head. Usually when it gets warmed up or under boost is when they leak the worst.

Simsy
10-16-2010, 11:12 PM
i agree with Jackson...get that hole welded up and throw a cometic on and be done with it

jckrieger
10-17-2010, 12:29 PM
i agree with Jackson...get that hole welded up and throw a cometic on and be done with it

I'm not sure about places around here to get the head welded. Any recommendations? I'm in the central IL region, but am up in Chicagoland frequently.

Jackson, you interested in doing work on my head? I wouldn't mind getting a set of those increased installed height steel spring retainers while the head is off the car.

Lotashelbys
10-18-2010, 12:14 AM
How soon would you like to do it? Let me know.