PDA

View Full Version : G-body side exhaust + CO poisoning?

mboyek
08-23-2007, 11:19 PM
I have had a side exit exhaust on my daytona for a few months now and am beginning to become concerned with the possibility of CO poisoning on longer trips.

The tip exits behind the window and door, so its not like its right under the window, you get whiffs of exhaust when starting or sitting still, but I never smell it while moving.

The reason of my concern is on a few trips now (over 45 min) I will get very tired and or somewhat lightheaded. Today after cracking the passenger side window, I seemed to get better almost instantly.

It seems worse with the windows up. I'm almost positive its a problem because if I route fresh air from the passenger side (non exhaust side) I have no problems. The pipes have no leaks.

Has anyone else had this problem? I don't see how I'm getting exhaust in the car with the windows up and in motion but theres pretty convincing evidence I am.

dodgeboy77
08-24-2007, 12:01 AM
mboyek - Is there any way that the fumes can be getting back into the car? Are there any holes in the underbody or wheelwell? Is the trunk or hatchback weatherstipping sealing completely? Anyway, it sounds like CO poisoning to me so you better check things out.

I know of people having similar problems that were caused by exhaust getting in through loose fitting trunk weatherstripping even with a rear exit exhaust. Good luck - Bill

1FastCSX289
08-24-2007, 12:26 AM
I get this with my minivan. I like it though. :lol:

Seriously, you are probably getting exhaust that is sucked in through the open drivers side window. Once the passenger side is open, there is no more vacuum to draw it in.

The reason why a tailpipe is supposed to extend behind the back of the car is so that exhaust actually gets sucked out behind the car in the vacuum that created by the moving vehicle.

I would move the pipe further back, out the passenger's side, or live with it (like I do).

tryingbe
08-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Drive with windows down or don't have the side exhaust.

turbovanmanČ
08-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Drive with windows down or don't have the side exhaust.

I have to agree, pretty dangerous thing to be happening.

overlordsshadow
08-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Makes me wonder about my exhaust that exits right under the firewall.....

1FastCSX289
08-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Makes me wonder about my exhaust that exits right under the firewall.....

Dont worry about it. A little CO never hurt anyone!:thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
08-24-2007, 07:08 PM
I've had side exit 3" on my ShelbyZ for years now. Never had any issues. In Oct I drove straight through from Spokane, wa to SoCal and didn't worry about anything. Sounds like you have a hole somewhere.

amcpacer
08-24-2007, 07:10 PM
I have a side exit setup on my Turbo-Z and have not had exhaust entry while driving. Occasionally when I am sitting still and the wind is blowing toward the car from the driver side and I have the window open I get a bit of exhaust in the cabin. I installed a catalytic converter and made the exhaust much less noxious and caused a huge decrease in CO emissions. Perhaps you should get a high flow converter and then angle the exhaust toward the rear of the car slightly.

bfarroo
08-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Never had a problems with my 87 Shelby Z and have had the side exit for 20,000 miles. Does the tip stick out past the side of the car? I think having it away from the body a little helps the venturi effect pull the gases back and away from the car when moving not allowing it to be trapped up inside the ground effects and enter through any holes in the car.

mboyek
08-26-2007, 12:11 AM
Never had a problems with my 87 Shelby Z and have had the side exit for 20,000 miles. Does the tip stick out past the side of the car? I think having it away from the body a little helps the venturi effect pull the gases back and away from the car when moving not allowing it to be trapped up inside the ground effects and enter through any holes in the car.

Yeah, the tip sticks a few inches out from the body, angled backward. I have no holes in the car, its rust free, hatch seal is good etc, overall healthy shape.

I will just be sure to have the passenger side window cracked, its too cool to go back to stock!

It just baffles me how exhaust could be getting in the car with the windows up and in motion, the only thing that would make sense is if there were a vent in the rear wheel well (like say similar to the one in rear door jam of a spirit ) but there isn't.

t3rse
08-27-2007, 11:03 AM
i've only had this issue with a busted donut leaking through the shift cable hole. the easiest solution is to run race gas, that way you'll smell it for sure!

mboyek
08-28-2007, 12:17 PM
i've only had this issue with a busted donut leaking through the shift cable hole. the easiest solution is to run race gas, that way you'll smell it for sure!

Its a NA MPI previously tbi car with a bad headgasket or cracked head, so there is no real benefit to race gas. I will check the donut seal.

GLHNSLHT2
08-28-2007, 07:05 PM
The race gas isn't for performance it's to make a strong odor in the exhaust (race gas smells unique) to make sure you're really smelling exhaust gasses.

deuce dodge
10-18-2007, 09:34 PM
my side exit in sc never smells bad....and my car is like swiss cheese.........

hey maybe thats the secret....try more holes :)

deuce

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
10-18-2007, 10:21 PM
i love the side exit. and never had had a problem with it.

shelbydodgeimp
10-22-2007, 01:47 AM
I have had a side exit for years and have never had a problem with it... however- one thing to bare in mind is that many states require the exit to be behind the rear most axle.

A side exit is NOT street legal in NH, PA, and others.

Realistically I had bigger problems with the donut between the cat & the exhaust manifold cracked (they don't last forever fyi).

moparzrule
11-07-2007, 07:37 AM
A side exit is NOT street legal in NH, PA, and others.

Where did you get that info? I've run side exit on 3 of my cars and never got pulled over. And I've had exhaust shops put on a couple side exit exhausts which they wouldn't do if it was illegal just like they don't ever pull a cat off without replacing it.