PDA

View Full Version : Cracking 2-piece fuel rail

afsautoworx
02-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Have heard some guys saying about the stock chrysler 2 piece rail cracking. Is this very common? and is it common because the rails are very thin or is it because the rails are thin and when people take them off they break? Was gonna put a 2 piece on my daytona but dont want to catch it on fire. I know TU sells 2 piece rails but i dont want to run a seperate fuel reg.

Just realized i put this in induction. Please move at will mods. :banghead:

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2006, 10:58 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565

FWD now sells them and they use the stock reg.

afsautoworx
02-07-2006, 11:33 PM
i read that whole thread b4 i posted. Thanks for the tip about FWD's rails simon.

How do u have almost a 1,000 post already? guess it shouldnt suprise me :)

Russ Jerome
02-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Have heard some guys saying about the stock chrysler 2 piece rail cracking. Is this very common? and is it common because the rails are very thin or is it because the rails are thin and when people take them off they break?

It's more common on the 2 piece because the angle of the
inlet/outlet. Although not fragile is does not like a you trying
to twist off hose. I have had stock rails, never a problem, made
a small fortune modifing broken ones people grabbed and twisted
off inlet. Use a razor knife to cut the 59cent piece of hose off.

The S is Silent
02-08-2006, 12:31 AM
It's more common on the 2 piece because the angle of the
inlet/outlet. Although not fragile is does not like a you trying
to twist off hose. I have had stock rails, never a problem, made
a small fortune modifing broken ones people grabbed and twisted
off inlet. Use a razor knife to cut the 59cent piece of hose off.

Want another broken one? I bought a 2 piece with a broken rail...and I'm just going with the billet one. I don't want the headache of trying to fix it.

:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
02-08-2006, 12:34 AM
I only cracked one because I had a fuel guage mounted on it, :banghead:

I had it brazed but it didn't hold. I just modded my 2 piece one and welded it with no problems, :nod:

afsautoworx
02-08-2006, 02:02 PM
how much do u want for that broken rail?... i wanna fool around with it. I think im gonna get a billet rail from fwdp too. I had forgotten cindy had showed them off on TD.com, such a nice looking setup.

The S is Silent
02-08-2006, 02:10 PM
how much do u want for that broken rail?... i wanna fool around with it. I think im gonna get a billet rail from fwdp too. I had forgotten cindy had showed them off on TD.com, such a nice looking setup.

$25 shipped...I can't see it being worth much more than that...unless somebody wants to make an offer for more than that, I really have no idea what they are worth. I've seen good ones go for as much as $100. The return line on it got kinked (presumably when somebody was pulling the hose off) and it broke off. There's about 1cm of it left on the rail. Is that where the others break?

I guess I missed the FWD unveiling. I just went with the TU fuel rail. I like how the universal FPR has provisions for mounting a FP gauge under the hood, and plumbing everything may be more expensive with braided stainless and AN fittings, but it's going to look hawt and I will never again have to mess with hose clamps. :amen:

turbovanmanČ
02-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Sorry, mine was a 1 piece rail that broke and its long gone.

Yeah, I saw the thread on TD and was amazed, nice looking unit from Cindy. I like Chris's but If I wanted one, I would get Cindy's so I can use my current AFPR, :thumb:

afsautoworx
02-08-2006, 05:38 PM
whether tu or fwd im glad someone is making replacment rails. Lemme think about the $25 rail. Not saying its a bad price, but maybe ill put that money towards a billet rail. :)

The S is Silent
02-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Sorry, mine was a 1 piece rail that broke and its long gone.

Yeah, I saw the thread on TD and was amazed, nice looking unit from Cindy. I like Chris's but If I wanted one, it would be so I can use my current AFPR, :thumb:

That is mainly why I'm kicking myself. I have an AFPR already, and I had to go ahead and buy a universal one to go with the rail...bye bye $130 on top of what the rail costs + about $100 for lines (you can't plumb something that hott looking with cheap rubber lines ;) )

Anybody need an Acufab that fits the stock location?

GLHSKEN
02-08-2006, 08:06 PM
That is mainly why I'm kicking myself. I have an AFPR already, and I had to go ahead and buy a universal one to go with the rail...bye bye $130 on top of what the rail costs + about $100 for lines (you can't plumb something that hott looking with cheap rubber lines ;) )

Anybody need an Acufab that fits the stock location?

Earls line... 350psi burst strength. Nylon braided reinforcement. I managed to plumb an entire billet rail without a single AN fitting.. For the return, Brake line flared to standard FI rubber hose. I bring the fuel in on the throttle body side...

BTW, I'm planning on buing 2 TU billet rail set-ups this summer...

Russ Jerome
02-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Noon today, building rail for a 2-piece intake:
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/chads120psi.jpg

Based off the early log rails, tapped OE feeds and plugged/brazed.
Tapped ends NPT and threaded in AN/NPT fitings before brazing.
Custom adjustable footings, preload injectors in runners.
The odd plumbing at both ends is a AN cap and an adapter for
shop air pressure.........did you know at about 130psi the injector
it self starts leaking in middle where it is pressed together :)
My fuel pressure gauge attached to rail is pinned at 120psi.
Thats soapy water covering everything, no leaks and injectors
are ready to explode :) Forget what number this is but my leak
free run is batting 100!

afsautoworx
02-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Looks nice...is this something youre going to use or just playing

Russ Jerome
02-09-2006, 01:06 AM
It's for a friend, I got a free 2 piece intake...less rail and
making him a system ;) Aftermarket rails are cheap by
comparison of time spent but we get bored up here :)

afsautoworx
02-09-2006, 01:49 AM
Free 2 piece? does your friend want any more friends? :)

Russ Jerome
02-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Free 2 piece? does your friend want any more friends? :)

I'm ADD stricken and cant type....

"I" recived a free intake.
A "friend" wanted a 2-piece so I am building this
for him :)

We dont spend out money up here, we
just give everything we are not using to each other.
Were trying to change the world but few are following
our lead :( You got something a buddy can use, he has
stuff you need, just give your time/junk to others and
it will come back 2 fold!

GLHSKEN
02-09-2006, 08:45 PM
our lead :( You got something a buddy can use, he has

AMEN!!! That's the way Reeves, Hall and I are here... No money ever changes hands. I'm not using it, you can, here ya go!!

Lugert
02-09-2006, 09:59 PM
I fixed my rail when it broke.

Just need clean metal surface, a copper tube and some silver solder with a little map gas!

afsautoworx
02-09-2006, 10:29 PM
our lead You got something a buddy can use, he has

Thats how it is was when i raced mini-stocks. Friends get into a crash, need a radiator, need help straightening the frame, need a diff set of gears, here yah go! And youre right it does come back when u need it.

GLHSKEN
02-10-2006, 07:37 AM
I fixed my rail when it broke.

Just need clean metal surface, a copper tube and some silver solder with a little map gas!

That's one place they crack... never brokenan inlet/outlet tube. Inboard of the pass bracket is popular as well.

iTurbo
02-13-2006, 04:20 PM
I absolutely hate the 2pc fuel rail! I have had nothing but bad luck and frustration with them. The fuel rail on my Shelby Lancer has broken three times where the fuel inlet tube meets the rail. Each time I have it silver soldered shut and it breaks again 6 months down the road, even though I'm REALLY careful with the fuel supply hose. I have another 2pc intake and the fuel rail on that is severly kinked because the previous owner wasn't careful enough with it.

I finally got sick of it and ordered two new 2pc fuel rails from FWDP, and another one for my Spirit R/T. I mostly went with the FWDP rail because I already have the Accufab AFPRs that fit in the stock location. Unfortunately, my SL is going to be a fire hazard until the rails finally ship. It's starting to seep fuel again..

MiniMopar
02-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Are you securing the end of the tube via the little tab that is on there? I made a little bracket that bolts down with the valve cover corner bolt and has a threaded hole at the right angle. A small screw secures the tab to it and takes the strain off of the tube.

As long as there is a short piece still attached to the rail, they can be fixed easily with some solder and brass tubing. They usually crack near the bend closest to the rail.

Russ Jerome
02-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Another nice thing about using the early log rail on a 2piece
is you can pull rail without seperating the upper/lower halfs.

With AN fittings on ends it takes 30 seconds to pull lines for
motor work.