PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust tuning, pressure relief?

RoadWarrior222
08-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi folks,

I was reading about how the V8 guys determine H pipe location on a dual system. The technique as described was to stripe paint down the exhaust system and where it burnt first was a nodal point where pressure and heat build up and to install the H pipe there...

So that do me thinking, is there a way to releive pressure on a single pipe exhaust system? I was thinking maybe a resonator in the hot spot, or just a pipe expansion or something, might releive pressure.

Anyone looked into this aspect of exhaust setup?

RW222

tryingbe
08-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Install a 3 inch exhaust cutout with electronic open valve before catalytic converter. It'll give you all the pressure relief you'll ever want.

Dave
08-23-2007, 03:26 PM
is there a way to releive pressure on a single pipe exhaust system?

Yah, cut the exhasut off after the downpipe. There's a big exhaust for yeh!

RoadWarrior222
08-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Heh, keep forgetting that anyone with boost doesn't "do" exhausts. Let's presume I want a nicely balanced N/A system.

Turbodave
08-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Wouldn't it be great if you could harness the energy of that high pressure exhaust and somehow use it to pump fresh air into the engine?;)

Anyhow if you thinking about getting a more efficient flow from your 3.0, what about running dual exhaust with an H-pipe like you described above. Not sure if that's feasible with the way the manifolds are on there.

RoadWarrior222
08-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Might think about that if I do headers. Need to keep the cat and O2 sensor though so that would turn into major hassle, as would routing another pipe around the gas tank.

shadow88
08-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Might think about that if I do headers. Need to keep the cat and O2 sensor though so that would turn into major hassle, as would routing another pipe around the gas tank.

easy fix. side exit.

In reality, your enemy is backpressure. You'll want less than 2 psi in your exhaust system, some will argue that's too much. You check it in the o2 bung. Make up some funky test fitting with an accurate boost gague and see what gains are to be had and where.

I'd bet a nice riceburner muffler will have the best results. I've never seen a non-broken cat cause any backpressure, so I wont expect you'll see any gains in a N/A engine. Maybe a 2.5" exhaust side exit will get what you're after.