PDA

View Full Version : Computer question-86 TII L body swap.

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Reading Gary's site, it says I can use an 86 MP computer for the conversion but I thought Log cals won't work properly with a blow thru setup or is the MP cal good for the one piece intake setup. To use a real TII computer, you have to rewire the computer pins it goes on to say.

GLHS592
08-22-2007, 11:33 AM
...I thought Log cals won't work properly with a Log setup...

:confused:

What are you doing? Are you converting a log intake car to (one piece intake) turbo 2?

Mopar_Nutz
08-22-2007, 11:41 AM
you mean log cal on a blow thru setup? I'm curious about log cals on a 1 piece for the short term too as a friend of mine is wanting some help with a TII conversion on his 86 Daytona. The LM is the only difficult part to source on a budget.
Swapping pins isn't too bad at all though. Only takes a few mins to do. I did it with my Charger so I could run a TU LM set up for a Daytona. Only trouble I has was the diagram I found online was WRONG! hahaha

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2007, 12:08 PM
:confused:

What are you doing? Are you converting a log intake car to (one piece intake) turbo 2?

Yes, fixed my typo, :eyebrows:

GLHS592
08-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Why are you wanting to run a turbo 1 computer with the turbo 2 setup? Just get a GLHS logic module or rewire for a 1987 turbo II logic module. Don't forget the two new AIS wires.

sdac guy
08-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Why are you wanting to run a turbo 1 computer with the turbo 2 setup? Just get a GLHS logic module or rewire for a 1987 turbo II logic module. Don't forget the two new AIS wires.

+1

Barry

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2007, 01:15 PM

If you read Gary's writeup, you can use an 86/87 MP module, this is what I am talking about. I have a 86 MP GLHS module, hence the questions.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_glhs.html

GLHS592
08-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Reading Gary's site, it says I can use an 86 MP computer for the conversion but I thought Log cals won't work properly with a blow thru setup or is the MP cal good for the one piece intake setup. To use a real TII computer, you have to rewire the computer pins it goes on to say.

Based on what you said in the first post, I assumed you were talking about a 1986 MP computer used for a log setup. The 1986/1987 GLHS logic module as well as the MP version are not log computers. They are set up for a turbo 2 engine.

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Based on what you said in the first post, I assumed you were talking about a 1986 MP computer used for a log setup. The 1986/1987 GLHS logic module as well as the MP version are not log computers. They are set up for a turbo 2 engine.

Ok, that is my confusion then, the 86 MP computer threw me off, I didn't know that the 86 MP is the 87 TII computer.

The part numbers of computers I have are-

P4532327 or on the box 4529871
On the other computer-5227253

zin
08-22-2007, 01:55 PM

I haven't looked at the site in awhile, but I think he was referring to the GLHS computer, not the regular MP log computer. I agree, the log computer likely wouldn't work so good, especially since the AIS motors are diff.

Mike

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2007, 01:57 PM
I haven't looked at the site in awhile, but I think he was referring to the GLHS computer, not the regular MP log computer. I agree, the log computer likely wouldn't work so good, especially since the AIS motors are diff.

Mike

Ok, thats whats messing me up. Thanks.

Force Fed Mopar
08-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Ok, that is my confusion then, the 86 MP computer threw me off, I didn't know that the 86 MP is the 87 TII computer.

The part numbers of computers I have are-

P4532327 or on the box 4529871
On the other computer-5227253

'87 GLHS used the '86 computer/electronics. L-bodies didn't get the newer LM's like the rest did. You can socket an '86 T1 log LM, put a GLHS chip/cal in it and run it in an '87 GLHS.

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2007, 02:17 PM
'87 GLHS used the '86 computer/electronics. L-bodies didn't get the newer LM's like the rest did. You can socket an '86 T1 log LM, put a GLHS chip/cal in it and run it in an '87 GLHS.

Ok, clear as mud. Thankyou very much. :nod:

zin
08-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Ok, clear as mud. Thankyou very much. :nod:

He's just saying that, if you were inclined, you could remove the ROM chip from a regular log type LM and replace it with a socket that would let you swap out chips. Once you did that, you could load a GLHS tune on it and plug it into the socket you installed in the LM. Probably a bit advanced at this point. Easier to just buy a GLHS computer, add the two wires for the AIS and be done with it.:)

sdac guy
08-25-2007, 08:40 AM
'87 GLHS used the '86 computer/electronics. L-bodies didn't get the newer LM's like the rest did. You can socket an '86 T1 log LM, put a GLHS chip/cal in it and run it in an '87 GLHS. That is not entirely accurate. While the car may start with that cal, it will not control the AIS motor at all. The log type LM which is for the pull through TB, has the wrong control chip and is missing a couple wires for use on a blow through TB.

Looking at the part numbers you have Simon, you can't really use either of those with a T2 conversion and get it to run properly, even with a different cal in them.

Find a real 87 T2 LM from an 87 G-body and go from there (or if you can find one, an MP 87 CSX/Lancer Stage II). You will still need to add wires and move or splice wires to an 86 log style harness, but the 87 T2 LM is the best LM to have when looking toward the future and possibly doing a custom cal later on.

As an alternate, you can use either the 86 GLHS or 86/87 GLHS Stage II LM as a starting point. It still requires wiring changes, but slightly different than the 87 T2 based LM.

Barry

turbovanmanČ
08-25-2007, 10:02 AM
I have a 87 TII cal here now, and a local guy makes a conversion harness, :thumb:

Thanks for the info guys.