PDA

View Full Version : Any gains from just exhaust?

TurbododgePirate
08-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Okay, so I am hopefully getting this spirit RT. It need a new muffler, so I figure who not just do the whole thing. A 3" downpipe, cat and pipes from Cindy will be $360+ship.

Will there be any noticeable gain on a otherwise stock car?

I am also looking at a cal, but I'll leave it be for now :)

boostjunkie_07
08-21-2007, 05:57 PM
you will notice a difference in turbo spool and a little in hp gains but not much turbo jus spool faster mainly i did the same to my 89 shadow es and turbo spool was great after the upgrade

badandy
08-21-2007, 05:58 PM
A 3" full mandrel system with a straight through muffler of your choice will yield the best power per dollar spent on these cars. Slap on a g-valve and add some fuel with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and you will have a totally different car. I'm sure larger gains are to be had on the 16v motors due the higher flow of the head.

Orangetona
08-21-2007, 06:50 PM
A 3" full mandrel system with a straight through muffler of your choice will yield the best power per dollar spent on these cars. Slap on a g-valve and add some fuel with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and you will have a totally different car. I'm sure larger gains are to be had on the 16v motors due the higher flow of the head.

+1 I agree fully. These cars respond more to an exhaust upgrade more than anything else you can do. (as a basic mod) Thats why everyone goes with the biggest swingvalve they can find also. Its not unusual for them to gain 20+ HP. Not to mention, once you get to the rest of the basic mods, your car will really wake up. Hope this helps. :thumb:

WLKivett
08-22-2007, 10:39 AM
There was a write up in Up Front many years ago that on a bone stock Spirt RT gained (now I'm going from memory so I may be off a little) 36whp @ 6000rpm by going to a 3" full exhaust.

Best Regards,
Landon Kivett

TurbododgePirate
08-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Wow that would be awesome!!

badandy
08-22-2007, 12:11 PM
That figure in itself is very impressive...but what that figure doesn't show you is the very surprising amount of bottom end torque you gain. Your car will become so much more enjoyable just to drive everyday providing it's not hella loud...lol. You will find that you will not need that lower gear as often...or you won't need to get into boost quite so much...but boost will come in sooner and more rapidly...so mash that pedal to the floor and grin like this:D

TurbododgePirate
08-22-2007, 12:34 PM
That figure in itself is very impressive...but what that figure doesn't show you is the very surprising amount of bottom end torque you gain. Your car will become so much more enjoyable just to drive everyday providing it's not hella loud...lol. You will find that you will not need that lower gear as often...or you won't need to get into boost quite so much...but boost will come in sooner and more rapidly...so mash that pedal to the floor and grin like this:D

Well, I figure that it needs the exhaust, so why not do it right. Hopefully with a working cat and high flow muffler it isn't TOO loud. I've actually read here that they are too quiet for some people.

2.216VTurbo
08-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Years ago we had a dyno day and Tim P. dynoed his Spirit RT. Dont recall the number but that's not the point:o Next event we used the same shop, the same dyno but Tim had upgraded to a 3" system. 32WHP:eek: gain!

The TIII's respond to a free flowing exhaust like no other TD IMO. add a real I/C and some 20's and you're making power:thumb: I think opticon ownes Tim's old Spirit RT now...

WOP'R
08-24-2007, 02:12 AM
it woke up my R/T a good bit...even though my timing is off and i still have a bad O2 sensor:)

ssheen
08-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I put a full 3" exhaust on my Daytona 8v as one of the first mods. I dynoed at 195whp @ 12psi after the mod. If stock is 175hp crank ~140whp that is a 45whp gain give or take.

glhs441
08-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Here is (in my opinion) the ultimate in cheap turbo Dodge exhaust:
Cut off stock exhaust just in front of the cat.
Get a 3" straight through muffler and a 2.5" - 3" adapter.
Get 1 each mandrel bent 3" 90, got mine from J.C. Whittney
Put the muffler where the cat was, run it back with a straight piece of tubing, put the 90 on and run it out in front of the back tire.
Can be done for less than $100, sounds good, flows great & saves weight.

turbovanmanČ
08-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Put the muffler where the cat was, run it back with a straight piece of tubing, put the 90 on and run it out in front of the back tire.

Did it drone?

glhs441
08-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Depends on the muffler used.

TurbododgePirate
08-26-2007, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the opinion, but I am not looking for a cheap exhaust, and I hate the exhaust that exit in front of the rear wheels. Looks like the person couldn't afford a whole exhaust.

Vigo
08-26-2007, 07:11 PM
heh, thats the first time ive heard that one. i love my one side exit, as long as you have tall gearing its not annoying at all. if you have an auto or a 3.85 manual it gets annoying on the highway imo. and if it isnt straight through you might as well run it out the back anyway imo.

glhs441
08-26-2007, 07:24 PM
This is what I get for trying to help, Insults.

My 40,000mi 86 GLHS w/400+ hp TIII is set up this way and I can assure
you that I could have chosen any exhaust.

Hemlock
08-26-2007, 09:25 PM

You can't seem to keep engines or transmssions together in that car, maybe your exhaust is the problem.:)

glhs441
08-26-2007, 09:45 PM
LOL!!!!!!! trans seems to be fine now, and we are working on addressing the
bottom end problem (machinist). But I am sure that if the exhaust ran out the back of the car the engine would have survived!!!LOL!!!!!!!!

TurbododgePirate
08-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Okay, so I am hopefully getting this spirit RT. It need a new muffler, so I figure who not just do the whole thing. A 3" downpipe, cat and pipes from Cindy will be $360+ship.

Will there be any noticeable gain on a otherwise stock car?

I am also looking at a cal, but I'll leave it be for now :)

Thanks for the opinion, but I am not looking for a cheap exhaust, and I hate the exhaust that exit in front of the rear wheels. Looks like the person couldn't afford a whole exhaust.

Sorry you feel that way. But that's why everyone is allowed to have opinions. Can we get BACK on the original topic of the thread?

glhs441
08-26-2007, 10:13 PM
You are correct, everyone is allowed to have there own opinions, however
the insults are not necessary.

Was just trying to help you.

I'm done.

a89mini
08-26-2007, 10:21 PM
YES:nod: FOR ME IN STOCK CONDITION W/IC AND STOCK BOOST CONTROL 10PSI W/EXHAUST CHANGED TO 3" FROM DP W/DYNOMAX I WAS HITTING OVERBOOST RIGHT NOW:thumb: WITH NO OTHER CHANGES:eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
08-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Settle down everyone, sheesh.

WOP'R
09-04-2007, 01:24 AM
I havent been able to take my car all the way to 4th in WOT so i cant tell you if Over boost would get hit.

Although i did hit over boost when i had a home depot spring on the waste gate. Took it off today and havent hit it yet:)