PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate shaft woes

MiniMoparKing
08-18-2007, 12:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/kingcalibra/Daytona/Image036.jpg

:(

Got the intermediate shaft out today, and this is what I found...

The bearing has pieces missing from it!!

2 questions...

1. How difficult is this bearing to change?

2. The more I dig into this engine, the more things I find broken... what else should I expect?

Just in case you don't remember my original problem, here's what my oil pump looks like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/kingcalibra/Daytona/Image020.jpg

And the intermediate shaft looks worse. :(

The inner shaft bearing looks to be ok, but the outer bearing is shot.

turbovanmanČ
08-18-2007, 01:03 PM
That seems to be a common failure point, not sure why some do and some don't-could be too loose timing belt or too tight or just one of those things. Well the bearing coming apart is why the oil pump and shaft are done. I would replace BOTH bearings, even though the inner looks good. You can drive them out but you'll need to make or borrow an installer to put them in. How are your rods and mains? if there showing wear, maybe its time to yank it and freshen it up.

MiniMoparKing
08-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Far as I can see, everything else is tip-top. Come on, the car only has 91,000 miles on it, and until I got it, it had a full maintenance record.

As far as the "tool" you're referring to, what do you mean?

turbovanmanČ
08-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Far as I can see, everything else is tip-top. Come on, the car only has 91,000 miles on it, and until I got it, it had a full maintenance record.

As far as the "tool" you're referring to, what do you mean?

Its not nice, it spat out the bearing, :(

Have you checked the rods and mains as it probably ran without oil for awhile?

You need a special tool to pull the bearings in place without damaging them, sort of like a cam bearing installer for V8's.

MiniMoparKing
08-18-2007, 02:42 PM
To make matters worse, I'm in the middle of a move to a new installation that's 4 hours away! I can't find any rental places around here that will do a 1-way rental for both the towing vehicle and the car dolly. :(

As far as the special tool, purchasing seems to be my only option, since german auto parts stores to not loan tools.

Makes it even better that I don't have the money to pay someone to do this for me, nor do I trust any German mechanic enough to touch an old TM. No one around here knows anything about them, not even the dealer mechs know much about trans-4 engines, except that they like to blow head gaskets.

turbovanmanČ
08-18-2007, 03:27 PM
That really sucks man. Well I see in your sig you have other cars to drive, so then you should be ok until you can get all the parts you need.

MiniMoparKing
08-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Here's the problem, though. I'm in the middle of moving to a new location that's 4.5 hours away. :( and I have no means of transporting the car, nor do I have a place to put it until I can get what I need to fix it.

The only part i need is the bearing itself, I already have an i-shaft and a new oil pump.

turbovanmanČ
08-18-2007, 04:58 PM
That sucks. I know its a hassle but what about renting a tow dolly for a few days. I know you'll have to drive the car to your new place, then take the dolly back then drive home again. I don't really see another option, rushing repairs like this have a nasty habit of biting you in the asz, been there, done that, :(

Oh, do you have any friends in your current location who could come with you and take the trailer back to the rental place?

MiniMoparKing
08-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Nope, they all have moved to the new installation already.