PDA

View Full Version : Any Interest in a Distributor Adapter Group buy

rbryant
08-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Guys and Gals,

I have been looking at the Dizzy Hosting info and...

I started playing around with a CAD program and decided to draw up the distributor conversion parts to learnt he tool. I think they turned out good enough to where I can make them.

I can have them in a month from the time they are ordered.

I know lots of people have made these but everyone wants a ton of money for them and also can't seem to fill their orders.

Let me know if you are interested in them and I can get an idea on the pricing. The first 10 are expensive and it gets much cheaper after that so the number of people that order determine the price. I think $200 or so should be easy to pull off. The more orders the cheaper they get.

Here are some screenshots of my drawings.

I can get more fancy with this but this seems sufficient and I don't want to be accused of stealing anyone's design.

Let me know what you think.

-Rich

Birddog
08-16-2007, 10:18 PM
I'd be up for it, it's cheaper than the one I saw on that auction site...

rbryant
08-16-2007, 10:33 PM
I'd be up for it, it's cheaper than the one I saw on that auction site...

Yea well If I have 10-15 orders it gets cheaper. There is a fixed cost in their price structure that drives the price high in small quantities...

The big advantage I have is that I did the CAD work myself so there aren't any costs involved in that other than some lost sleep. :)

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
08-17-2007, 01:14 AM
Looks good Rich, nicely done. :nod:

rbryant
08-17-2007, 01:18 AM
Looks good Rich, nicely done. :nod:

Thanks hopefully we can get a batch made for around half the cost of the original offering with no supply issues. I want to talk to a local waterjet guy to see if I can get the cost down on the adapter plate to bring the price down some more.

-Rich

omni spirit
08-25-2007, 12:10 AM
i'd like to jump in and get one too if not to late..
looking high any low for one

rbryant
08-25-2007, 02:00 AM
I can make them but there is a guy on turbododge that is making an electronic adapter that will probably be better.

It can run either off from the stock HEP, the 1st gen 2.0/2.4 crank sender or the NGC crank sender and fire the Neon coilpack (wasted spark setup).

I think he even has plans to do coil on plug if anyone wants to go that far with it.

That means we will no longer need the adapter.

If it doesn't work out then I will make a batch but right now it seems like that is a better option.

-Rich

looneytuner
02-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Put me down for one. I got two of Your? obx spacers?

2.2turboscotty
03-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Rich i already told you but put me down for one, looks great!

DBB mini
03-04-2008, 10:25 PM

No you probly got two of my obx spacers.:thumb:

rbryant
03-05-2008, 01:31 AM

I am only doing MSD wires, modified distributor caps, and OBX washers. The spacers are another guy. :)

-Rich

rbryant
03-07-2008, 06:49 PM
I talked to the machinist today. He has been pretty busy with a big order from Roush Racing so his time was limited.

He gave me some suggestions on how to make the cam adapter easier to manufacture (cheaper) so I will redraw it this weekend and get it to him next week.

Hopefully it would be about a week turnaround to have them in hand from the final design. The mounting plate should also fit into that timeframe.

Thanks and sorry for the delays.

-Rich

rbryant
03-10-2008, 03:52 AM
Here are some updated pictures.

This adapter plate is a much nicer and should work out quite nicely.

I decided that I can make it cheaper with the waterjet than the full CNCed piece. The only difference is that it will be cut fully through and the tab hole will be threaded and I will use a setscrew instead of it being one piece.

-Rich

Frank
03-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Wow Rich! Pretty cool! You should see if there is a way to add some tabs or something to the mount, so people can mount their coil at that location. Or you could create a bracket as part of the kit for the coil to mount at the 2.4L's old location.

rbryant
03-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Wow Rich! Pretty cool! You should see if there is a way to add some tabs or something to the mount, so people can mount their coil at that location. Or you could create a bracket as part of the kit for the coil to mount at the 2.4L's old location.

In order to mount a coil on the engine it really should be an epoxy coil. Canister mounted coils could be mounted somewhere on the drivers side to shorten up the coil wire.

The t-stat stile late epoxy coild could be placed on the engine OR one of these would probably work well:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D850500&N=700+4294890813+4294891681+4294890415+115&autoview=sku

Or even the MSD unit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MSD%2D8207&N=700+4294890813+4294891681+4294890415+115&autoview=sku

I was planning on getting one of the summit units and either drilling it to fit the DOHC mounting holes or making a 1/4" plate that adapts it to that location. It is really just a plate with holes that match both coils I can make it but unless everyone agrees on what coil they want to run it wouldn't be worthwhile.

You are right that the passenger fender isn't the best spot for a coil with this setup.

Of course I can make custom wires to put the coil wherever someone wants it. I will look to see if there is a nice place to stick the t-stat style coil with this setup so we can have a very short coil wire. I am not sure the distrib bracket is the best place for the coil actually. The dist has to be able to turn and there are some cooling hoses in that general area. I will look at it though.

-Rich

WickedShelby88
03-11-2008, 03:52 AM
I've pondered running a T3 SBEC and getting a harness made-up but I like the idea of a distributor adapter much better in terms of tuning.

Frank
03-19-2008, 08:16 PM
By the way, I am VERY interested in one. I believe Bucar will be interested in one or two also.

rbryant
03-19-2008, 08:30 PM
By the way, I am VERY interested in one. I believe Bucar will be interested in one or two also.

Frank,

I will be sure to get on my machinist tomorrow to make it happen. I didn't get a chance to talk to him today.

Are you also interested in a coil mount bracket?

I can make one that attaches the t-stat style coil if people are satisfied with that coil. I think it probably makes the most sense to make it a seperate bracket... If the bracket attached to the EGR bolts and doubled as a blockoff plate would that add too much heat to the coil? It doesn't seem like it would really get much hotter than somewhere else on the head but I haven't thought it through. That would give a stable mounting point and allow for short coil wires. My vision for this is something made from 1/8-1/4" stainless with an L bend in it.

I am not really interested in supporting aftermarket coils because everyone will have their favorite and want a different mount. I think the ones I linked to from summit could be mounted with a couple of aluminum strips in the stock neon location and still look really good.

After I finalize things this also gives a good lead in to the next step of a modified distributor cap and custom wires with the 90degree distributor terminals/boots and Neon plug boots. :)

-Rich

Aries_Turbo
03-19-2008, 09:24 PM
my suggestion... with this being a kit, i think you should have the trigger wheel adapter as i thought that when the dist was mounted on the end of the cam it was spinning backwards and then needed some mods to make it work. didnt david borher (sp?) put some distributor trigger wheel mod docs here on the site somewhere with drawings to make the piece?

Brian

Frank
03-19-2008, 09:52 PM
I think a nice adapter to the stock neon location would work well for the SUM-850500. You could probably really do well as a full up kit to include the wires, etc. I am excited about this because now I don't feel the need to go MS on my 2.4L project with a good dizzy setup.

Frank
03-19-2008, 09:55 PM
my suggestion... with this being a kit, i think you should have the trigger wheel adapter as i thought that when the dist was mounted on the end of the cam it was spinning backwards and then needed some mods to make it work. didnt david borher (sp?) put some distributor trigger wheel mod docs here on the site somewhere with drawings to make the piece?

Brian

http://files.turbo-mopar.com/

You just have to mod the internals, nothing more.

Aries_Turbo
03-19-2008, 11:15 PM
what do you mean mod the internals.... move the pickups? i read it somewhere but i forget where.

Brian

rbryant
03-20-2008, 03:55 AM

Brian

The purpose of the kit is for people that want to run a distributor for the 8V electronics. Once we go beyond the distributor everyone might as well go with megasquirt. :)

The fact that the known quantity of the distributor is the attraction.

-Rich

jrbexhaust
03-20-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm having the adaptors made this Friday. I'm not sure of the cost yet, but I will let you know when I find out.

Is there anyone out there willing to do the HEP mod for me? Or explain the changes better? I'd like to do it myself, and I'm sure its easy. I just don't understand it completely.

Thanks.

Aries_Turbo
03-20-2008, 04:17 PM
^^^^^ this is what im talking about. you cant just bolt the distributor on. it has to be modded.

Brian

rbryant
03-20-2008, 04:24 PM
^^^^^ this is what im talking about. you cant just bolt the distributor on. it has to be modded.

Brian

I am aware of the distributor mod due to the reverse rotation.

It is really just a rotation of the shutter wheel and a rotation of the HEP so it isn't a big deal.

I think people would just mod their own distributor but I suppose I could provide them as part of the kit but then I have to start dealing with core charges, etc.

-Rich

jrbexhaust
03-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Rich, what is the exact location of the dowl pin hole in the small adapter? I'm using the dizzy drawings and specs but it doesn't reference the location for this hole.

Thanks.

Aries_Turbo
03-20-2008, 08:18 PM
I am aware of the distributor mod due to the reverse rotation.

It is really just a rotation of the shutter wheel and a rotation of the HEP so it isn't a big deal.

I think people would just mod their own distributor but I suppose I could provide them as part of the kit but then I have to start dealing with core charges, etc.

-Rich

what are the specifics of the dist mods. i dont know them exactly. thanks

Brian

rbryant
03-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Rich, what is the exact location of the dowl pin hole in the small adapter? I'm using the dizzy drawings and specs but it doesn't reference the location for this hole.

Thanks.

There are two holes and I chose only one of them. I spent a lot of time getting it right in my cad drawing and double checking things. The other issue is that his specs use very non standard thicknesses that are very custom so I had to change them to make things at a resonable price..

I spent many hours measuring them and getting it right actually. Given the time involved I am not sure I want to give a detailed description of the adapter when I plan on producing one at a reasonable price imminently. :( If I didn't have requests to produce them and more time involved because of those requests I would share the info but at this point I am not ready to do that. (sorry don't mean to be a jerk just the evils of capitalism rearing their heads)

How far along are you? I really do plan on pricing these reasonably. It will probably be quite a bit lower than my original thoughts.

-Rich

Frank
03-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Will this work on SRT-4 heads also?

t3rse
03-27-2008, 12:44 PM
As I'm sure Rich has the discovered, the holes aren't exactly in the center: the stock button has very small dowels and thus a bit of slop until it is tightened. His design, using one dowel is much easier than the way I am doing it, but my machinist insisted on making it an assembly, so I went with it.

The 2.0 and 2.4 mounting is the same, so yes it will work on the srt.

rbryant
03-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Will this work on SRT-4 heads also?

Yea the cam magnets and cams are the same on all of the 2.0 and 2.4 heads. The only difference on any of the heads is that the 2.4NA cams have the sensor holes turned 90 degrees. The distributor can be turned to compensate for this so it is fine.

-Rich

rbryant
03-27-2008, 03:01 PM
As I'm sure Rich has the discovered, the holes aren't exactly in the center: the stock button has very small dowels and thus a bit of slop until it is tightened. His design, using one dowel is much easier than the way I am doing it, but my machinist insisted on making it an assembly, so I went with it.

The 2.0 and 2.4 mounting is the same, so yes it will work on the srt.

Yea one hole is on center the other isn't.

for a bolt on cam connector there is really only need for one of them.

-Rich

rbryant
04-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Ughhh looks like it will be Friday before I get the prototype. They had waterline break that flooded the shop and stopped the tool last week. There is always something going wrong with automotive shops/products....

I will set it up and take pictures as soon as I have it.

-Rich

Frank
04-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the update!

Frank
04-14-2008, 08:39 PM
So what is the latest?

rbryant
04-14-2008, 09:04 PM
So what is the latest?

Supposedly they started cutting it today and the tech had to stop. He was supposed to call me back when he figured out what was up but hasn't yet. I expect to have the prototype tomorrow or I am going to start getting pissed....

The only good part of this is that he knows he has delayed me so I should get higher priority on the production run.

Aries_Turbo
04-14-2008, 09:24 PM
i will be needing one of these. any thought on price?

Brian

rbryant
04-16-2008, 02:31 AM
i will be needing one of these. any thought on price?

Brian

Probably $150 but I will see when I get the final pricing.

Everything is always delayed it seems. They started cutting it but something was off on the CAD file so it got messed up. I am working with the shop owner on it and he agrees that this is way behind schedule and should have been done 2 weeks ago.

He takes a while sometimes but always turns out an A+ product which is the main concern. Once I have the prototype in hand I can make any tweaks if they are necessary and can get them going... I will definitely have the prototype in the next couple of days no matter what now...

Believe me I am starting to get pissed about the delays.

-Rich

glhs502
04-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for doing this..it's not like my 2.4 project is anywhere close to being finished..I've not had time to yank out the 2.5 from the car yet..

rbryant
04-29-2008, 06:57 PM
BTW: Based on my prototype cost I think the kit will be $100 or less! I only have to do some minor machining to finish the parts up and it should be pretty quick to do myself.

rbryant
05-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Ok I have the prototype. I just took a quick picture with my phone of the parts I had cut to give people an update.

I will test fit it tonight and then I should be able to do a run of them for next week now that we have all of the CAD issues sorted out.

People might also be interested in the 2.4 engine to TD tranny dust shield that I designed which is also in the picture.

Frank
05-06-2008, 04:44 PM
I am game for both.

Aries_Turbo
05-06-2008, 08:08 PM
im in for the dist adapter kit if its 100$ or less. :) hopefully less :)

Brian

rbryant
05-07-2008, 03:21 AM
I did the rest of the machining and test fit it on my engine.

Amazingly I am very pleased with the fitment of everything! The tolerances came out even better than I had hoped!

Here are some pictures.

Interestingly the TD thermostat housing gasket is a perfect fit...

The cam adapter picture didn't come out so I will have to retake that one.

I will call on a price for a bulk order tomorrow morning and let everyone know the price and ETA for the first batch.

Thanks for the patience!

-Rich

glhs502
05-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Great,,thanks

rbryant
05-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Uggh they only charged me for material due to the delays and the kid that runs the waterjet who I paid didn't tell me that...

No wonder it was so cheap. I am working on my real cost but $100 might be tough since the main adapter plate is now 3x the cost of the prototype... I guess I got excited about how cheap I would be able to offer it.

I will have a final cost on making a batch of them today and will update everyone again.

This is like work or something to get this done. ;)

-Rich

t3rse
05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
how much for the tranny shield? I also need a modified dist cap from you very soon....

rbryant
05-07-2008, 01:51 PM
how much for the tranny shield? I also need a modified dist cap from you very soon....

Let me also check to make sure that I was charged for the cut time on the tranny sheild aswell... They gave me a break when they have bad turnaround tiems but it actually hurts when I start quoting prices on the parts based on those prices which won't hold up in the future...

The tranny sheild is aluminum (like the stock 2.0/2.4 one) and only weighs 8.3 ounces and uses the stock 2.0/2.4 bottom sheilds so it is a pretty nice piece.

I also need to make a couple of small tweaks to the tranny sheild. The prototype wasn't quite perfect when used with the SRT bottom brace and I don't want people to have to break out the tin snips like I had to to fix it...

-Rich

rbryant
05-13-2008, 12:55 AM
My engine isn't running so I can only test it to mock things up. Is there someone that has an engine ready to go that would like a guinea pig discount? If so PM me.

I am confident but real life testing is a good thing.

The production batch is in the works just waiting on metal stock for the adapter plate.

The kit will come with the following:

The cam adapter disc.
The cam adapter plate.
A new distributor oring.
New stainless M6 bolts for the cam adapter plate to head.
A new stainless M8 bolt for the stock distributor clamp.

-Rich

glhs502
05-16-2008, 10:58 PM
did you get a volunteer to try the adapter??

rbryant
05-17-2008, 02:28 PM
did you get a volunteer to try the adapter??

Nope still looking for a guinea pig... :)

I have had it on my engine and it looks great. I just don't have it running to fully test it.

Here are some new pictures...

-Rich

glhs502
05-19-2008, 12:31 PM
did you ask anyone on td.com?? I can test it in about 2 weeks.

crazymadbastard
05-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Looks really good! makes me wanna get one, I am interested for sure in the trannsaxle shield.

Frank
05-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Are you still serious about the trans cover? I think I really need one. I want to give that, a starter, and my turbo to the guy who is going to make my header. It is a great way to allow him to mock up mysetup without sending the trans to him. :)

rbryant
05-19-2008, 01:15 PM
did you ask anyone on td.com?? I can test it in about 2 weeks.

I replied that I had one on TD but didn't do much advertising. It would just get deleted anyway since I am not willing to pay their $100 a month vender fee (much more than I make on this sort of stuff).

You are the leading candidate at the moment for the official tester. I will keep in touch with you this week and unless someone is ready to test before you we will plan on working out the tester discount and shipping it out to you for next week sometime.

Everything fits up and has good clearences so I am not worried but I like to sell products as fully tested. :)

-Rich

rbryant
05-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Are you still serious about the trans cover? I think I really need one. I want to give that, a starter, and my turbo to the guy who is going to make my header. It is a great way to allow him to mock up mysetup without sending the trans to him. :)

I have the prototype trans cover but I had to modify it a bit with some tin snips. I will modify the CAD file over the next few days so that I can produce more of them that work right out of the waterjet.

I can sell you the prototype which I planned to use myself if you are in dire need of it. Otherwise It would probably be a week or two out to have more of them.

-Rich

rbryant
05-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Looks really good! makes me wanna get one, I am interested for sure in the trannsaxle shield.

Ok I just need some minor revisions on the trans cover/sheild. The prototype needed 1/8" trimmed off in a couple of spots on the lower front so I need to modify the CAD file before I make more. Other than that it fit very well so I am probably a week or two out from producing 5-10 of them based on demand...

-Rich

Frank
05-19-2008, 01:22 PM
I have the prototype trans cover but I had to modify it a bit with some tin snips. I will modify the CAD file over the next few days so that I can produce more of them that work right out of the waterjet.

I can sell you the prototype which I planned to use myself if you are in dire need of it. Otherwise It would probably be a week or two out to have more of them.

-Rich

I won't need it for another month. I am currently at Eglin AFB for 2-3 weeks on travel. I have time.

rbryant
05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
I won't need it for another month. I am currently at Eglin AFB for 2-3 weeks on travel. I have time.

I will have production units by that time.

-Rich

Aries_Turbo
05-19-2008, 08:22 PM
frank, the stock TD cover will work for mock up as the starter doesnt move when you do a 2.4L swap and the rear and the upper two bolt holes are in the same spot.

Brian

glhs502
05-20-2008, 10:15 PM
If no one else has responded you can go ahead and send it to me, I'll be starting my swap Friday night and will have most of the weekend to work on it. I can go ahead and mount the dist and make sure the engine will run if I do not have all of the engine mounts finished. I'll PM you with my address and phone number.

rbryant
05-21-2008, 03:09 AM
If no one else has responded you can go ahead and send it to me, I'll be starting my swap Friday night and will have most of the weekend to work on it. I can go ahead and mount the dist and make sure the engine will run if I do not have all of the engine mounts finished. I'll PM you with my address and phone number.

Derek,

Sounds good. I am happy to work with you on this especially given that you were the one that got me back into the project anyway.

I will work with you via PM and hopefully you can get things running by the weekend!

Hopefully more orders will follow so I don't get stuck with an inventory of these kits!

Of course I will also start offering the matching MSD wires for them for anyone that wants the full setup and I can also do reconditioned modified distributor so it will be all in one shopping.

-Rich

rbryant
06-09-2008, 05:15 PM
All,

I now have a batch of the distributor adapters in stock.

I am ready to take orders and will be offering them for $100 shipped for the first 5 After that they may go up in price to cover shipping, etc.

I am also offering matching MSD wires and my modified distributor caps for an all in one solution.

If people are interested I can also provide reconditioned (bead blasted) and modified distributor bases for $40 plus a $25 core (refunded when I get a modifiable core).

These products can all be ordered from my MSD products webpage: http://rbryant.freeshell.org/msd_products.htm

I will work on getting more pictures of the products up on the page tonight.

-Rich

Frank
06-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Order placed. Any word on the tranny plates?

rbryant
06-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Order placed. Any word on the tranny plates?

They are supposed to be cut tomorrow afternoon with a couple of modifications to make them a perfect fit!

-Rich

WickedShelby88
06-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Kit looks really good and should be easy for anyone to install making the hybrid or complete DOHC engine swap that much less cumbersome. +1 for a great product!

glhs502
06-10-2008, 11:41 AM
The dizzy adapter fits great, real easy to install. Super nice product for the money. I'm also using his plug wires and cap. Super quality for the $$. The plug boots are tough and the wires snap in the caps with confidence, no more guessing if the wires are pushed all the way down in the cap.

WickedShelby88
06-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Sounds like when I'm ready to do this I will be good to buy the whole kit.

rbryant
06-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Sounds like when I'm ready to do this I will be good to buy the whole kit.

Complamentary products rule! ;)

It is really up to you but I do feel that the HEI distributor and 90 degree snap terminals on MSD wires is the best setup.

Either way some sort of custom/modified plug wires and/or distributor cap will be required.

-Rich

WickedShelby88
06-10-2008, 02:46 PM
We should get like cad drawing write up of this and also the hybrid engine break down of what to do what where that way more people could have a better understanding of the process. Sometimes its hard to visual what is what just from reading as not all of us learn or understand that way.

Clay
06-10-2008, 03:43 PM
or, even some pictures!! ;)

WickedShelby88
06-10-2008, 04:05 PM
+1 pictures are much more readily doable.

glhs502
06-11-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm gonna do a write up of my 2.4 swap with some pics as soon as I can get it running. I've learned many things the hard way..I am very close, I have all the major stuff finished but it's the little things that have slowed me down.

crazymadbastard
06-11-2008, 11:39 AM
They are supposed to be cut tomorrow afternoon with a couple of modifications to make them a perfect fit!

-Rich

How did that go? I want to put a 2.4( older one 96) complete into my 92 gtc with a568 5spd. Price?
Thanks
W

rbryant
06-11-2008, 01:33 PM
How did that go? I want to put a 2.4( older one 96) complete into my 92 gtc with a568 5spd. Price?
Thanks
W

I still have to pick them up and do a test fit. I will take pictures and put them up for sale if I am satisfied with them (I should be since it was only a minor change to the prototype).

-Rich

crazymadbastard
06-11-2008, 01:52 PM
thanks, please pm me when you have info. I am going to try not to be on all the time and actually get some work done!

rbryant
06-13-2008, 05:22 PM
I am still about 1/32" off in one spot on the tranny sheilds so I need to file them back slightly over the weekend. Fortunately I made them a hair too big rather than a hair too small so they will be perfect after I modify them.

I had 10 of the sheilds cut so I have a bunch in stock. I will add the pictures and link to buy them over the weekend.

-Rich

crazymadbastard
06-19-2008, 07:53 PM
I am still about 1/32" off in one spot on the tranny sheilds so I need to file them back slightly over the weekend. Fortunately I made them a hair too big rather than a hair too small so they will be perfect after I modify them.

I had 10 of the sheilds cut so I have a bunch in stock. I will add the pictures and link to buy them over the weekend.

-Rich

how is it coming along?:thumb:

rbryant
06-20-2008, 02:23 PM
how is it coming along?:thumb:

Good.

Everything is ready. I do need a new picture of the tranny sheilds and the modified distributors but the links are there to buy them and I can ship everything early next week.

I put everything on a seperate DOHC conversion page:

DOHC 2.0/2.4/Hybrid Products (http://rbryant.freeshell.org/dohc_conversion_products.htm)

-Rich

crazymadbastard
06-21-2008, 12:37 AM
Ok thanks, ordered one. It does not need to go priority It will be hung on my garage wall as a reminder to get working.- send me the nicest looking one please. :D

rbryant
06-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Ok thanks, ordered one. It does not need to go priority It will be hung on my garage wall as a reminder to get working.- send me the nicest looking one please. :D

Shipped today.

I also updated the pictures showing the test fit.

I recommend using the PT bottom sheild/brace since it covers better and also gives added strength. It does however require the SRT oiling system and pan.

The pictures are on the bottom of this page: http://rbryant.freeshell.org/dohc_conversion_products.htm

-Rich

crazymadbastard
06-28-2008, 07:33 PM
The piece looks excellent, got it thursday thanks!

rbryant
06-28-2008, 07:43 PM
The piece looks excellent, got it thursday thanks!

Glad to hear that you are happy with the trans shield. If you are running the SRT oil pan be sure to pickup the bottom structural support collar that I show on the webpage for max strength and coverage.

Good Luck with the project!

-Rich

rbryant
09-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I still have several of these in stock. I am lowering the price to $10 on both the MSD wires and the adpater to try and raise some cash for future projects.

The adapter is now $90 and the wires are $75 down from $100 and $85.

They have been proven to work by (Derek) glhs502.

The setup has worked well for him other than an issue where the bolts came loose and the plate came free from the head. I have since increased the length of the bolts I supply. We now suggest using some locktite on both the adapter bolts to the head and the cam bolt to avoid this issue.

-Rich

wowzer
01-16-2014, 12:13 PM
so i ordered new wires, cap adapters, and the dist adapter kit from rich today. i'm trying to understand what mods i need to do to the inside of the distributor/shutter wheel on my old 2.5 distributor. i looked at the sticky pics but can't find a concise write up on what needs to be done. appreciate a link or explanation. thx.

rbryant
01-16-2014, 02:45 PM
so i ordered new wires, cap adapters, and the dist adapter kit from rich today. i'm trying to understand what mods i need to do to the inside of the distributor/shutter wheel on my old 2.5 distributor. i looked at the sticky pics but can't find a concise write up on what needs to be done. appreciate a link or explanation. thx.

The distributor wheel needs to be re-indexed (there is a picture of the one I supply on the webpage showing the correct positioning).

The is flipped over aswell so the HEP signal wires then need to be crossed. The easiest way is to swap them in the wiring harness connectors.

-Rich

contraption22
01-18-2014, 01:08 AM
Rich, what's your turnaround time? Do you have any core distributors?

rbryant
01-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Rich, what's your turnaround time? Do you have any core distributors?

I have atleast one distributor core in the garage.

The turnaround is normally a couple of days for a distributor.

Unfortunately wowzer just bought the last adapter kit that I had in stock. I will have to put in an order for some more this week and it will probably be 2 weeks to get them back from the machine shop.

-Rich

contraption22
02-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Thanks, Rich. Have any adapters in stock yet?

rbryant
02-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Thanks, Rich. Have any adapters in stock yet?

The order is still in the waterjet shop.

I hope to have them this week. If you want me to anodize it with the camber plates (no extra charge when I am doing a camber plate run) then it will take a couple days longer.

-Rich

contraption22
02-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Hey that would be cool and I am not in a rush. Just wanted to know if it was on the shelf and I can order. Also planning on getting the modified distributor, plug wires and the HEI cap adapters.

Thanks!

rbryant
02-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Hey that would be cool and I am not in a rush. Just wanted to know if it was on the shelf and I can order. Also planning on getting the modified distributor, plug wires and the HEI cap adapters.

Thanks!

I did make a modified distributor so there is one on the shelf. I bead blasted it as best I could but I don't have a large air line to the blaster cabinet so I was blasting through a long 3/8" line which drops the flow a bit so the finish isn't as clean and smooth as a commercial bead blasting cabinet. Our distributors aren't the cleanest casting anyway so you might want to paint it if you are picky.

-Rich

fixit
02-18-2014, 10:09 PM
impressive price, for the distributor adapter
i'm torn between building my glh as a 2.5 hybrid vs a 2.4 turbo

rbryant
04-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Recently I have received a few questions about the install of the cam driven distributor.

The biggest difference is that the rotation is counter clockwise instead of clockwise.

The simplest way to deal with it IMO is to turn the cap and HEP plate 180 Degrees. The notch in the HEP will then be on the opposite side. When I modify distributors I drill out the distributor cap screw hole so that the plate can be installed without having to remove the indexing tab on the HEP when it is turned 180 degrees...

This will place the #1 wire on the cap int the correct place. (if the HEP isn't rotated then non of the cap reference numbers will match)

Then because the rotation is backwards the wires will arrange like this:

stock clockwise rotation:
1 3
2 4

cam driven distributor counter clockwise rotation:
1 2
3 4

If the cap has all 4 numbers then the #2 and #3 wires have to be swapped because the numbering assumes a clockwise rotation.

The final modification that is required is to swap the two HEP signal wires so that ECM receives the correct pulse timing. The TN/YL (tan with yellow stripe) wire from the Gray HEP connector must be swapped with the GY (Gray) or GY/BK (gray with black stripe on later cars) wire from the Black HEP connector.

I recommend tracing the wires backwards from the Round plug connectors that connect to the HEP (which can't really be modified) and changing them in the connectors of the main harness (this is the harness shared with the alternator, coolant temp sensor, AC control, etc.)

It can be done on either side of the connector or even on the SMEC/SBEC/LM harness or they can be cut/soldered/shrink wrapped if desired but they have to be swapped.

-Rich