PDA

View Full Version : How To Remove Illuminated Vanity Mirror From Sun Visor

ShelbyMotorsports
08-14-2007, 06:37 PM
I know how to remove the mirror from the visor but am wondering how to seperate the lid/cover so I can install some new headliner material on the mirror.

Look at picture below. Headliner material goes between the gray outer ring and the black inner panel.

Anyone replace the headliner material before in one of these mirrors?

DC Turismo
08-14-2007, 07:12 PM
My brother changed out a cracked mirror in his Daytona Shelby which was the illuminated style. Shoot him a PM to see if he can recall how he did it - 85shelbycharger

Dodgeglht
08-14-2007, 08:54 PM
On my GLH's visor there was a trim panel I popped off to expose some screws.
Then I was able to recover the visors carefully
Matt

ShelbyMotorsports
08-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Here's a pic of the mirror with the headliner material still attached. I want to replace the material with some new material.

ShelbyMotorsports
08-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Here's a close up pic of the mirror cover. What I'm trying to figure out is how does the gray outer plastic seperate from the black plastic.

The headliner material goes between the gray outer ring and the black plastic lid.

ShelbyMotorsports
08-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Nobody here has ever recovered their sunvisors?

I'm either going to start pulling until something breaks or go to that other site. Neither of these sound appealing to me.

Turbodave
08-15-2007, 01:35 PM
I've never recovered any, but I'm curious how to do this also. I do have a bunch of spares and I would be willing to sacrifice one for the sake of figuring out how it goes together if need be.

88_pacifica
08-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I've never recovered any, but I'm curious how to do this also. I do have a bunch of spares and I would be willing to sacrifice one for the sake of figuring out how it goes together if need be.

Please do that... I am under the impression that it is heavily glued down. I have the exact same problem. Last week I redid the headliner and visors, but I had to leave that material because I KNOW if I try to separate the plastic it WILL break off. It isn't screwed on I know that. #1 it's to thin for a screw and #2 it has 0% give where if it were screwed on, at SOME point it would lift or separate a little bit.

This is the biggest reason that I just said to heck with it and put it back. I REALLY think it is glued together with an epoxy and will never come apart again without severe force and many many left over pieces. :D

ShelbyMotorsports
08-15-2007, 03:06 PM

Please do :thumb:

If I had a spare I would already have just pulled on it until something gave way but with no spares I know Murphys law will bite me if I try to find one in the junkyard.

CSX321
08-15-2007, 03:26 PM
I wanted to do the visors in the '89 CSX but ran into the same thing. Right now I'm using a set I bought from a parted car, but they're not in great shape, either, and they don't quite match the headliner material I used.

Turbodave
08-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Please do :thumb:

If I had a spare I would already have just pulled on it until something gave way but with no spares I know Murphys law will bite me if I try to find one in the junkyard.

I think the Daytona parts car in the driveway has a lighted visor on it, so I'll see what I can do with that one. Won't be tonight since I've got plans after work, so probably tomorrow evening at the earliest.

ShelbyMotorsports
08-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Pulled out the Chrysler parts book to see if the visor had a parts explosion diagram but no such luck. The visors were sold as a complete assembly.

Lets see what turbodave can come up with. Stay tuned.

rare_ram
08-16-2007, 12:06 AM
I think we all could use a How-to on recovering the visors.:thumb:

DC Turismo
08-16-2007, 07:40 PM
I ran to the JY today and found two sets of these for my CSX, a maroon set and gray set. I looked them over for a good hour and cannot figure how to get that lid off without just snapping it. Ugh.

88_pacifica
08-16-2007, 07:52 PM
I ran to the JY today and found two sets of these for my CSX, a maroon set and gray set. I looked them over for a good hour and cannot figure how to get that lid off without just snapping it. Ugh.

EXACTLY... :(

Turbodave
08-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Looked at the visors on the Daytona parts car tonight and they are not the lighted ones, they are the ones with the sliding cover over the mirror. They are in crappy shape and I am not opposed to destroying them, but it wouldn't be of much use since they are a different style.

I may have some of the lighted ones in my storage barn, but I'm not sure when I'll get up there next.

ShelbyMotorsports
08-16-2007, 11:10 PM

Well start yanking on the maroon visor. And don't forget pics of the carnage.

Turbodave thanks for trying.

CSX321
08-17-2007, 12:20 AM
I started digging into one of mine. The two main halves of the visor can be separated if you carefully use a screwdriver to release the catches.
http://www.shelbycsx.com/csx321/visor/DSCI0299.jpg
http://www.shelbycsx.com/csx321/visor/DSCI0298.jpg

The cover over the lighted mirror is a different story, and I think that's what we're talking about here. It is glued together. However, I think it is possible to separate it if you're very careful. I was able to use a carpet knife to work under the edge and get one side separated. That's all I've tried so far.
http://www.shelbycsx.com/csx321/visor/DSCI0300.jpg

88_pacifica
08-17-2007, 08:18 AM
This may need to be a sticky... I didn't know it had those teeth. I was under the inpression that it was a "tuck and fit" kind of thing. That's the way I did mine, but, now that I know that, I may have to take it all the way apart next time. Great pics! Thanks Dave!!

ShelbyMotorsports
08-17-2007, 12:23 PM
The cover over the lighted mirror is a different story, and I think that's what we're talking about here. It is glued together. However, I think it is possible to separate it if you're very careful. I was able to use a carpet knife to work under the edge and get one side separated. That's all I've tried so far.

Yup the cover is what we're talking about. Right where you have your knife stuck in.

ShelbyMotorsports
08-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Two days and no posts??

No one is brave enough to just go for it and see what happens? ;)

DC Turismo
08-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Steve

I would tear one of the maroon ones apart, but they're too nice considering I'd kick myself if something were to happen to one of Pat's (in his Daytona) or this gray set I picked up, such as the mirrors cracking or something, then I'd have no replacement!

Next time I'm at the junkyard though I will tear one or two apart.

89ShelbyGuy
08-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Thats funny...i just redid my headliner and the visors in my 89 daytona t-tops. Everything is glued together...though, the t-tops visors are different then the hard top shelbys....i had gotten one from a friend that had a 89 hard top....cause mine were just falling apart...i modifyed it to fit....well...one visor was parially glued together while the other was tottally glued together..i just broke the glue joints..the whole peice is preatty rigid...i pryed preatty hard and it was fine.....and then came the flip up mirror crap....yea, that little trim peice is glued on there..i had trouble with one side of not coming apart...while the other one popped off like nothin..i put my fabric on it with glue ofcoarse, then i got a tube of superglue and glued it back on, i used about 8 of those small pinchers, then let it dry. did the same with the visors. it looks like its from the factory...i'll try and get some pics!

Tom

89ShelbyGuy
08-20-2007, 05:14 PM
heres some pics..there preatty big in size..
lmk what u think

http://www.daytonashelby.com/headliners.JPG
http://www.daytonashelby.com/headliner2.JPG
http://www.daytonashelby.com/headliner3.JPG
http://www.daytonashelby.com/headliner4.JPG

Tom

88_pacifica
08-20-2007, 06:52 PM
89Shelbyguy, those look pretty good. Did it crack at all and you said you "pryed" on the mirror flap and it just "popped" off? It sure seems like it will crack... How much glue is in there really, Is there anything else we should "note"?

DC Turismo
08-20-2007, 07:09 PM
89shelbyguy, do you have 'progress' pics. when you redid those? They look fantastic!

89ShelbyGuy
08-20-2007, 08:38 PM
accually i don't have progress pics....sorry...i do have a spare visor...maybe i'll do another one, i have pleaty of fabric left.

as for the cracking, none of mine really cracked..i did have one spot where the handle is, which gave me problems, but i just took a knife and sliced it....as for how much glue is on there, about a 1/16" all the way around. just be careful, i kinda knew the limit...if it was not poppin off like i wanted it to, i put forth a new approach, takin a knife to it.

Thanks for the comments!

Tom

BlueBaron
08-20-2007, 11:39 PM
If you still want people to test ideas, I'll look for my spare visors.

My idea is to use the oven. I think the glue will soften before the plastic melts.

I know some people on the 300M boards have put headlights in the oven to release the lens from the housing. If you want, I'll give it a shot.

But, it looks like prying may work anyway. Keep us posted.

ShelbyMotorsports
08-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info 89Shelby Guy.