PDA

View Full Version : Carb Rampage questions

2.216VTurbo
08-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Ok, so my Brother Duncan and I have been messing with his 'new' Rampage and I decided I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE CARBUERATED MOTORS!:o I've never had a non turbo TD in all these years.

So we swapped out the slider cam for a TBI cam, it runs much smoother now but low end power is down. Could that be the 4 degees of retard after switching round tooth to square tooth?

Setting the ignition timing, CTS doesnt seem to affect it, is the ignition set with it plugged or unplugged.

Air pump :mad: Whats that thing about??? Obviously the new cam has no air pump drive provisions so we left the belt off it. Now there is oil spray all over that side of the motor??? Does the air pump partly serve to evac crank case pressure?

The plan is to do a turboo conversion on this thing so I get into familiar territory but for now we want the little carb motor to run as well as possible...

ANy performance /efficientcy tips?? We are throwing on a stock GLHS exhaust toady as an 'upgrade' to the crappy little pipes that are on it now... Any adjustments on that carb? The truck is only getting 24-25MPG on the first two tanks of fuel, somehow we thought it would do better than that...:o

Turbodave
08-14-2007, 03:35 PM
It's been a while since I messed with any of my carb trucks, but I vaguely remember disconnecting the vacuum line to the computer when setting the timing.

Pretty sure the air pump just pulls air from the airbox and pumps it down into the cat, I don't think it's connected to the crankcase at all.

Maybe the valve cover gasket is leaking after the cam change?

Will Martin
08-14-2007, 04:33 PM
The airpump is for emissions.

My Rampage, before I bought it, ran a 15.4 in the quarter mile. Mods are 2" exhaust, no cat, no muffler, S60 cam, timing advanced to the point where if you move the distributor it'll stall and that's it. It'll rev all the way to redline and bounce all day. And from the drive to Fairfield, CA to Surrey B.C. Canada, I averaged 45mph. Yep, you heard that right, 45mph! And this was after it sat for over a year in storage.

You should do the basics; plugs and wires. If your gas mileage is down, it's ususally the carb needs a "tune up".

Turbodave
08-14-2007, 04:55 PM
And from the drive to Fairfield, CA to Surrey B.C. Canada, I averaged 45mph. Yep, you heard that right, 45mph!

I don't think I can drive that slow:lol:

2.216VTurbo
08-14-2007, 06:59 PM
The airpump is for emissions.

My Rampage, before I bought it, ran a 15.4 in the quarter mile. Mods are 2" exhaust, no cat, no muffler, S60 cam, timing advanced to the point where if you move the distributor it'll stall and that's it. It'll rev all the way to redline and bounce all day. And from the drive to Fairfield, CA to Surrey B.C. Canada, I averaged 45mph. Yep, you heard that right, 45mph! And this was after it sat for over a year in storage.

You should do the basics; plugs and wires. If your gas mileage is down, it's ususally the carb needs a "tune up".

I hear what you are saing Will but tell me about the timing thing again. WHen we advance it, it wants to ping... TIming is set with Vac line off then??

Will Martin
08-14-2007, 11:15 PM
I don't think I can drive that slow:lol:

Aw man, going up the hills was brutal! But I didn't have to stop for gas! lol

Will Martin
08-14-2007, 11:20 PM
I hear what you are saing Will but tell me about the timing thing again. WHen we advance it, it wants to ping... TIming is set with Vac line off then??

Alan, I'm not sure to be honest. This Rampage was previously owned by Robert Kennedy and I don't know what he did with it. All I know is when I go to turn the distributor, it'll stall-it's as far as it'll go. This is with the vac line ON. The distributor is ----ed to high hell too! lol The low end has some "umph" and the top end just winds. I also know that I can only use 87 octane as if I use premium, it won't run right. I'm not a carb person either so I try not to do too much. :thumb:

TurboRon25
08-15-2007, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=2.216VTurbo;196848]Ok, so my Brother Duncan and I have been messing with his 'new' Rampage and I decided I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE CARBUERATED MOTORS!:o I've never had a non turbo TD in all these years.

So we swapped out the slider cam for a TBI cam, it runs much smoother now but low end power is down. Could that be the 4 degees of retard after switching round tooth to square tooth?

--Probably something like that

Setting the ignition timing, CTS doesnt seem to affect it, is the ignition set with it plugged or unplugged.

--unplug it from the "computer" and plug the vac line

Air pump :mad: Whats that thing about??? Obviously the new cam has no air pump drive provisions so we left the belt off it. Now there is oil spray all over that side of the motor??? Does the air pump partly serve to evac crank case pressure?

--I remember the air pump being removed on mine. The cam was a little longer on the driver's side and stuck out of the head. Turbo cars have that cam plug in the end of the head. I think you'll have to get one of those to stop the oil leak with a 'turbo' cam

The plan is to do a turboo conversion on this thing so I get into familiar territory but for now we want the little carb motor to run as well as possible...

ANy performance /efficientcy tips?? We are throwing on a stock GLHS exhaust toady as an 'upgrade' to the crappy little pipes that are on it now... Any adjustments on that carb? The truck is only getting 24-25MPG on the first two tanks of fuel, somehow we thought it would do better than that...:o

--All I did to mine was after cat 2" side exit w/o muff. Lots of timing, that I actually had to back down on during the summer because it would run hot. Stacked carb to air lid gaskets.
You aren't going to get to far with 'bolt-ons', we are all turbo guys and +5 hp dosen't even register to us. Not to mention a worked street n/a 2.2 (head, cam, exhst, etc) is still probably not going to be as fast as a stock TII.

Ron

TurboRon25
08-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Don't forget all the botom end and head work type stuff that work for turbo motors will show gains here too.
Oil pump/pick-up mod
Ported head/back cut valves.
lighten crank/rods/pistons/flywheel.
windage tray/oil pan/crank scraper.
header (I have one hanging in my garage ;) )
good tune up
K&N drop in.
cold air
UDP
Cooler thermostat.

More compression is nice (unlike our turbo motors) for both performance and economy.

Keep the carb CLEAN. Don't top off the gas tank if the charcoal canister is still hooked up. Small pieces of charcoal will float up the hose and plug up your idle circuits FOREVER. Basically you then have to get a ChryCo reman carb.

I'm sure you know all this, and you know it's not free in time and/or money.
Just posting this so that people don't forget the basics

Ron

2.216VTurbo
08-16-2007, 03:11 AM
Good tips Ron, Thanks. How many gaskets??:D

Don't forget all the botom end and head work type stuff that work for turbo motors will show gains here too.
Oil pump/pick-up mod
Ported head/back cut valves.
lighten crank/rods/pistons/flywheel.
windage tray/oil pan/crank scraper.
header (I have one hanging in my garage ;) )
good tune up
K&N drop in.
cold air
UDP
Cooler thermostat.

More compression is nice (unlike our turbo motors) for both performance and econom

Keep the carb CLEAN. Don't top off the gas tank if the charcoal canister is still hooked up. Small pieces of charcoal will float up the hose and plug up your idle circuits FOREVER. Basically you then have to get a ChryCo reman carb.

I'm sure you know all this, and you know it's not free in time and/or money.
Just posting this so that people don't forget the basics

Ron

TurboRon25
08-16-2007, 02:40 PM
I think the stock studs will let you get 2 extra in there. That only gives you maybe 1/2" more height, probably less. I also put a nut on the stud that holds the driver's side of the air cleaner lid so it sat level. (I can't believe I still remember this crap!!) I can see how it would help, especially because I've seen carb spacers make a difference, but I have no proof.
Easy junk yard mod.

Speaking of carb spacers, that might not be a bad idea either. and it's quick and easy to try. I was able to R&R a carb in 18 minutes with a flashlight in my teeth. ...part of my shadier youth.

Ron

2.216VTurbo
08-17-2007, 01:52 AM
I think the stock studs will let you get 2 extra in there. That only gives you maybe 1/2" more height, probably less. I also put a nut on the stud that holds the driver's side of the air cleaner lid so it sat level. (I can't believe I still remember this crap!!) I can see how it would help, especially because I've seen carb spacers make a difference, but I have no proof.
Easy junk yard mod.

Speaking of carb spacers, that might not be a bad idea either. and it's quick and easy to try. I was able to R&R a carb in 18 minutes with a flashlight in my teeth. ...part of my shadier youth.

Ron

You can get those 13mm nuts off with your teeth? You must floss every day:lol:

We're gonna throw a 5degree offset key in it and stack the gaskets and fix the oil leaks and...:o

54inches
10-28-2009, 04:51 PM
See what searching does for ya!

Good thread for a newb, especially this one.

2.216VTurbo
10-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Hitting all the rampage threads eh 54?;) Good man... This truck became the LeRampage so search that and you'll see what a full digital dash, tilt steering, working trip computor looks like in a Rampage:thumb:

54inches
10-28-2009, 08:59 PM
I did brother! Very interesting read!:clap:

I loathe newbs that do not search, so I am trying to set an example and follow my own advice.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish he will eat forever. It's a fairly universal teaching that certain demographics do not seem to grasp.

Luckily I was directed to turbo-mopar.com by a good guy or I was still be running around in circles chasing my tell over at td.com.:D

Vigo
11-06-2009, 03:23 PM
I dont know a damn thing about the carbs either. I will be attempting to get my Plymouth Arrow running and hopefully learning something in the process about carbs, but no guarantees. http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC02770.jpgFunny thing, i stopped really considering a rampage when i picked up the arrow, as it has about the same utility, potential, eccentricity, and rareness going for it, plus its nostalgic because my dad had one almost just like it when i was young.

http://www.staginglight.com/stocker/intro.html

Hey look at the bright side if you get it running perfect, and then get it running 100% better than that, itll run 15.5! Interesting read, that one.

54inches
12-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Need more info on carbs, rebuild and emissions delete...fa la la la la!

135sohc
12-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Get a 'carb kit' from the parts store for your application. I have found the directions and exploded view diagrams they come with are much easier than trying to understand the service manual. Just set everything to the 'stock' settings when making your initial pre-installation adjustments. Get a brass float if one is available, the oem plastic floats tend to absorb gas with age. Then proceed with the tinkering.

I rebuilt the POS Carter BBD on my 79 B van the night before leaving the next morning for North Carolina a few months ago... Never fooled with one in my life prior to that day and I gotta say they are NOWHERE near the great magic unknown mystery people portray them to be... Its a controlled fuel leak, dont think of them as anything more.

cordes
12-27-2011, 11:56 PM
I know the info is not needed by the OP any longer, but removal of the air pump shouldn't cause any ill effects. I cut the belt off of my 87' Charger and later removed the pump itself with no issues.

54inches
12-28-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks guys!

I have rebuilt carbs before, but believe it or not they were 4 barrel Holleys or 1 barrel Rochesters. lol

I ASSUME that I just remove the charcoal canister and associated vacuum lines and BS along with the air pump if so equipped.

2.216VTurbo
12-28-2011, 04:51 AM
Yep, we went 2.5 turbo, IC'd it and never looked back...

54inches
12-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Are you talking to me?

cordes
12-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Are you talking to me?

I removed the charcoal canister and pump on the Charger I had. Didn't seem to cause it to run worse than normal.

54inches
12-29-2011, 01:10 AM
Thanks brother!

ScottD
12-30-2011, 09:36 AM
I removed all the emissions garbage on my Turismo. Do a search in the project log forum here, I have lots of pics up of what I did. If you questions you can PM me.

Vigo
01-07-2012, 11:24 PM
I must have missed that 15.4 comment the first time around 2+ years ago because i see i didnt express any suspicion about it. A clear oversight on my part.