PDA

View Full Version : wtb: t3 stock turbo for 89

1966 dart wagon
08-13-2007, 11:34 AM
well when i pulled my head the turbo looks pretty worn out, lots of shaft play. Just wondering what you guys got for replacements. Could/should i rebuild it? Ive never touched one before. So what do you guys got?:D

88_pacifica
08-13-2007, 12:06 PM
this is a stock Mitsu, 2.5 SV? I would recommend a rbuild, but it depneds on funds vs long term goals. If you are swapping to a Garrett or have a Garrett already I would definitely rebuild it and depending on you "aptitude" it is actually very easy. Let us know what you got for sure and if $$ is more important or what...

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Those fins looked bad on yours, I would either find a good used Mitsu or get a Garret if you want more power, :amen:

I thought I had seen this, rebuilt Mitsu for sale-

Rebuilt Mitsu (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17020)

tryingbe
08-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I have a rebuilt TII garrett turbo (3000 miles or so on rebuild) with no can or swingvalve for $250 + shipping.

1966 dart wagon
08-13-2007, 02:55 PM
its a garret turbo 2.5 sing valve. What else would swap on that isnt stock? is there a special mounting surface (flange sp?) for chryslers

88_pacifica
08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Chrysler specific :( Only options are the Mitsu or the Garrett. You would need a new compressor wheel and "possibly" a new housing depending on the amount of wear. Are you pretty solid with mechanics?

Get a GOOD T1 compressor wheel and take the turbo apart and get the shaft and the wheels balanced TOGETHER. There is a kit on ebay(good stuff, but I have to double check the name) and he offers balancing for like $15 after you buy his kit(around $75). I rebuilt mine, but it wasn't my first time(many GN's before) and he did a really good job I must say...

It is a VERY precise part and extreme care must be taken during R&R of the parts. But, I'm sure if you have any aptitude it could be done.

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2007, 04:23 PM
its a garret turbo 2.5 sing valve. What else would swap on that isnt stock? is there a special mounting surface (flange sp?) for chryslers

If you get a Garret turbo, you will need to get the SV as your Mitsu one won't bolt up. The lines are slightly different but your getting braided anyhow so get the right ones.

Chrysler specific :( Only options are the Mitsu or the Garrett. You would need a new compressor wheel and "possibly" a new housing depending on the amount of wear. Are you pretty solid with mechanics?

Get a GOOD T1 compressor wheel and take the turbo apart and get the shaft and the wheels balanced TOGETHER. There is a kit on ebay(good stuff, but I have to double check the name) and he offers balancing for like $15 after you buy his kit(around $75). I rebuilt mine, but it wasn't my first time(many GN's before) and he did a really good job I must say...

It is a VERY precise part and extreme care must be taken during R&R of the parts. But, I'm sure if you have any aptitude it could be done.

I wouldn't waste my time rebuilding his old Mitsu, :eyebrows:

88_pacifica
08-13-2007, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't waste my time rebuilding his old Mitsu, :eyebrows:

I thought it was the Garrett he posted up here(post 16)...

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17129

Although it looks like a Mitsu wheel....

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2007, 05:05 PM
I thought it was the Garrett he posted up here(post 16)...

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17129

Although it looks like a Mitsu wheel....

Stock 89 is a Mitsu and that sure looks like one, ;)

88_pacifica
08-13-2007, 10:43 PM
That's what I thought too, but look at the housing... "...ETT" (Garrett?) I know the wheel looks like a Mitsu though... weird huh?

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2007, 11:11 PM
That's what I thought too, but look at the housing... "...ETT" (Garrett?) I know the wheel looks like a Mitsu though... weird huh?

Now you have me confused, :confused: :p

88_pacifica
08-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Now you have me confused, :confused: :p

Exactly... the wheel has the double-finned look like a Mitsu and the neck on the inlet bell has the same configuration as a Mitsu too... Somehow they manged to stuff it in a Garrett housing. It's a one-off Garrett that Mitsu helped pioneer. It has Mitsu spoolup with Garrett flow top-end.... ;) :thumb:

tryingbe
08-14-2007, 02:27 PM

You can unbolt the swingvalve and wastegate you currently have and use those on my turbo.

1966 dart wagon
08-29-2007, 12:04 AM
well turbo went out tonight, man this sucks i cant drive the car for more then 3-4 days before it breaks and im stalled:mad: now im definatly on the look out for a new turbo, point me in the right direction guys

tryingbe
08-29-2007, 10:39 AM
I have a rebuilt TII garrett turbo (3000 miles or so on rebuild) with no can or swingvalve for $250 + shipping.

My offer still stands.