PDA

View Full Version : Code #21

mark
08-12-2007, 07:29 PM
ok, so I checked my codes today. I got a code 21.... luckily I have an extra 02 sensor. I'm hoping that will fix it.

here is whats happening...

last week I was driving home from work, and the WB was like pegging out super lean, and the timcal was showing .02v for the o2 sensor... tap the gas, the WB swings rich and goes back to running 16+ lean...

fast forward a few minutes (i'm stuck in line at a drive thru getting dinner in between jobs...) all of a sudden the car at idle starts to sound like its missing and running on 3 cyl. luckily there was no one behind me in the drive thru, so i parked it in a parking lot. just before i shut it off it went to 10.0 on the WB and started smoking. wasn't oil, or coolant. smelled the exhaust pipe after shutting it off, stunk like gas... let the car sit for 10 minutes, started it up, same thing. WB at 10.0 and smoke... This has happened ONCE before and resetting the comp (discon battery) fixed it... so I unplugged the battery wated 1/2 hour, car starts up and no smoke, drive home very cautiously. just before home at a stop light, car is swinging into 16+ on the WB. and just pulling into my driveway its doing the same thing at 10.0 and felt chuggy...

Today I dropped in my other "original" o2 that I had. I put the defective one in there when i upgraded the turbo, i figured I had it might as well use it...

so. I'm going to wait till tomorrow night and drive it around close to home and see what happens, hopefully it was just a o2 sensor that failed and the computer saw it stuck at lean and just told the comp to start dumping fuel...

now, here is the kicker, the 02 that i'm guessing failed, was one of the OEM advertised ones ive seen refeferenced here and bought on ebay, has anyone else had a problem with these 02's. they were selling like 35 bucks shipped i think, I'm wondering if these didnt meet spec on the assembly line or factory?

turbovanmanČ
08-12-2007, 08:52 PM
I doubt its the ox sensor, your WB said the same as the ox sensor so to me, that means the ox sensor is working correctly. I would be looking for a bad connection, maybe bad MAP?

mark
08-12-2007, 08:59 PM
hmmm. i will double check that...

MiniMopar
08-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Code 21 is usually an open circuit between the ECU and the sensor, but it can be the sensor too.