PDA

View Full Version : Lower Radiator Hose Hit by Fan

Dusty_Duster
08-12-2007, 04:09 PM
I had to replace the lower radiator hose on my Duster yesterday. To make a long story short, the old hose somehow hit the fan and sprayed coolant all over my freshly-detailed engine compartment. :mad:

Anyway, the new hose looks different than the old hose, but I checked with several different places to make sure the part number was correct. The new hose has fewer bends than the old one. It also seems to fit just fine. Heck, my car even runs cooler now than it did before. :confused:

The lower hose still seems to be a little close to the bottom part of the fan, though. Has anybody else had this problem? Any ideas what I can do to keep this from happening again?

Directconnection
08-12-2007, 05:22 PM
What engine? My VNT P-body had an issue with the lower rad hose lightly rubbing the fan under power. On top of the front engine mount is a plastic piece that holds the radiator hose in place so it won't hit the fan. Mine was there, but still nicked it, so I used a zip tie to keep it tighter to the plastic holder.

Dusty_Duster
08-12-2007, 05:41 PM
What engine? My VNT P-body had an issue with the lower rad hose lightly rubbing the fan under power. On top of the front engine mount is a plastic piece that holds the radiator hose in place so it won't hit the fan. Mine was there, but still nicked it, so I used a zip tie to keep it tighter to the plastic holder.

It's a 2.2 Turbo. Do you have a picture of that plastic piece? It's missing from my P-Body. If I can't find that piece at a junkyard, what can I zip-tie the hose to?

Directconnection
08-12-2007, 05:46 PM
No pic.... but if you look at the top of the front motor mount bracket, you'll see a small hole around 3/16" or so from memory. The plastic piece is flat on the bottom and has a hook that going into the hole, and i seem to remember that it also has one small sheet metal type screw that holds it to the top of the mount. The part of the holer that holds the radiator hose is c-shaped and this plastic part is black. All shadows and other cars should have this piece...not a hard item to find.

MiniMopar
08-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Yep, that's right. They almost always are broken. My weird Daytona has one that is perfectly intact. It grabs both the radiator and heat core hoses.

I had the exact same thing happen on the old Shadow. I was in the middle of nowhere on I65 in heavy traffic when it blew. Stopped at a little town somewhere and bought a new hose. The aftermarket hoses have fewer bends, but they accomplish the same thing.

Dusty_Duster
08-13-2007, 09:16 AM
...The aftermarket hoses have fewer bends, but they accomplish the same thing.

OH! Well that explains why the hose that broke looked different. It must have been a genuine MOPAR hose.

I need to go to the junkyard soon and try to find one of those brackets. If I can't find one (the local junkyards suck), any ideas what I can use instead?

88_pacifica
08-13-2007, 09:25 AM
OH! Well that explains why the hose that broke looked different. It must have been a genuine MOPAR hose.

I need to go to the junkyard soon and try to find one of those brackets. If I can't find one (the local junkyards suck), any ideas what I can use instead?

Zip-tie

Dusty_Duster
08-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Zip-tie

To what?

88_pacifica
08-13-2007, 09:52 AM
the lower motor mount. If you want to get all "perfectionistic, you could use a piece of PVC pipe and cut it to make a C-shaped "piece that is the same size and performs the same function. Then drill a hole in it and mount onattaching hole that was OEM. I would paint it black first if you are looking for a "clean look" though. Actually, it works pretty well. I used it in another application on a Phord...

tryingbe
08-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Or just buy a slim fan.

Directconnection
08-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Yep, that's right. They almost always are broken. My weird Daytona has one that is perfectly intact. It grabs both the radiator and heat core hoses.

I had the exact same thing happen on the old Shadow. I was in the middle of nowhere on I65 in heavy traffic when it blew. Stopped at a little town somewhere and bought a new hose. The aftermarket hoses have fewer bends, but they accomplish the same thing.

Mine spewed out all it's coolant in my college parking lot back in '97. I used a whole roll of electrical tape and filled it with water and made it back home no problem (35minute drive)

Dusty_Duster
08-14-2007, 08:57 PM
CARNAGE PIC!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/310000-310999/310854_176_full.jpg

jaysshelby
08-15-2007, 04:23 PM
I might have one of the black plastic pieces that hod the hose on the front engine mount bracket. I will have to check so let me know if you still need it.

Dusty_Duster
08-16-2007, 08:12 AM
I might have one of the black plastic pieces that hod the hose on the front engine mount bracket. I will have to check so let me know if you still need it.

PM Sent!