PDA

View Full Version : GLH vs CTD

iTurbo
08-12-2007, 03:34 PM
I had a run-in with a local diesel truck that has a lot of mods. It's a silver CTD; not sure what year. It had a sticker on it that read "Stop Stroking and Start Cummin":rolleyes: and "5.9L H.O.". I missed getting a stop light together because there was another truck in front of me. The CTD takes off slow, and the truck in front of me turns into a gas station. I start to accelerate and just as I am a little past the CTD, this truck ROARS to life besides me and continues to give the Omni the worst beating EVER! We went from ~30 to almost 100 MPH and he easily had several cars on me. I had to laugh though, it's strange to see something that big and heavy get up and move like that!

I was talking to some friends that know the guy and I don't know the exact details, but word is the truck has a lot of aftermarket stuff including some kind of Banks big turbo kit and runs ~60 psi of boost....and launches the truck in 2nd gear with 4whl drive engaged. There was sooooo much black smoke behind us after we raced I couldn't even see the street lights in my rear view mirror. Thank god my Omni is still pretty quick or I may have choked to death.

Spraynlog
08-16-2007, 04:56 PM
I have seen some CTDs at PIR running mid 13's. I feel sorry for the starting line people...they disappear in the black smoke!

I have never been a diesel fan, just too much clatter and smell, but there is no getting around the fact they can be made to put out HUGE power.

It would have been nice to hear that you pulled him, but at least you told it like it was.

iTurbo
08-16-2007, 05:17 PM
I have never been a fan of diesel engines either. I hate that smell worse than anything!! Growing up in Wyoming it's pretty hard to escape it and the diesel trucks almost out number the cars driving around. Even if I had my Omni at 18 psi I still would have lost, even from a roll. My Omni is 2.5L TI, 3" exhaust, big NPR intercooler, Garrett TII (T03) turbo, 12 psi.

88_pacifica
08-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Well, if it makes you feel any better, you got better gas milage than him while you were racin' :thumb:

iTurbo
08-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Yah, I get around 330-350 miles per tank in my Omni which is around 28 MPG (delivering pizza).

You should have seen this guys exhaust system....two 4-5" stacks sticking straight up out of the bed like all big rig style. I have noticed a few other diesel trucks throwing revs at my Omni lately while I'm at work so I think this guy might have told his buddies about our race. Maybe beating a little old Omni is something to really be proud of now!

GLHS592
08-16-2007, 07:10 PM
I've never understood why anybody would want to race their trailer pulling vehicle. I'd rather keep my diesel truck stock and put the money into the race car.

88_pacifica
08-16-2007, 07:13 PM
I've never understood why anybody would want to race their trailer pulling vehicle. I'd rather keep my diesel truck stock and put the money into the race car.

They have too much disposable income... $$

Dusty_Duster
08-17-2007, 08:40 AM
I want to get a diesel truck when my Ram finally dies (which will probably take another 10 years). I plan to modify it, but not for racing. No, my goal is to be able to tow my turbo Dodge without even feeling it back there.

dds78910
08-18-2007, 09:44 AM
I have never been a fan of diesel engines either. I hate that smell worse than anything!! Growing up in Wyoming it's pretty hard to escape it and the diesel trucks almost out number the cars driving around. Even if I had my Omni at 18 psi I still would have lost, even from a roll. My Omni is 2.5L TI, 3" exhaust, big NPR intercooler, Garrett TII (T03) turbo, 12 psi.

I remember when I lived there a few years ago and there is a ton of Diesel trucks there! Hey, I tried driving by your apartment a couple months ago when I was there, I didnt see you working on anything and didnt see the red R/T parked there. I would have called, but lost your # and forgot which apartment was yours.:(

Tony Lane
08-19-2007, 06:05 PM
A year ago there was a CTD with twin scrolls running low 12's @ Sac Raceway. He was running 60 lbs of boost out of each turbo...