PDA

View Full Version : Ram charger tips

WickedShelby88
08-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Well I'm not sure where to put this since its an RC, but I figured here was as good a place as any. has anyone worked on the electronic spark control and carb on an 84 RC. Mine seems to load up at idle or idle too high. When its rather warm out the thing won't get out of its own way and gets horrible gas mileage mores than it already does. Also I'm wondering what kind of trans fluid to run in the old 727 thats in there. I know ATF +4 is the stuff to run in any 413 trans from a turbo car but what about this ole thing. Its probably seen cheap dexron its whole life. Also anyone got any info on the 4 wheel drive mech. I really want to fix it and was told it just quit working all the sudden. Its mechanical engaging auto 4WD. I've heard if I take apart the hub and regrease everything a lot of times that helps. Anybody know where to get the replacement parts for the coupler thats right at the steering box itself to the steering shaft. Mine has some decent play in it and I have to move the wheel about a good fists width just to get the thing to turn in the one direction or the other. I've already checked tire pressure and the rest of it. I know its mostly here. any help would be great appreciated as I've mainly just worked on the FWD cars and not too many of these trucks. I'd just rather get an idea of what I'm looking at before I start taking my daily driver apart.

turbovanmanČ
08-12-2007, 02:45 AM
Disable the factory lean burn system if thats what it has. The air cleaner will have a black box with a vacuum line going to it, just buy a elec dist and a few bits and pieces to go back to reg Dodge electronic ignition and timing.
If it has the 4 bbl, they are a PITA and the plastic float bowls warp and leak, even properly tuned up, you'll be lucky to get 12-13 mpg out of it.
The steering coupler-get it from Dodge and the steering box's are known to go bad. Check out the front end properly.
Make sure the front hubs lock when you lock them, that could be why the 4x4 doesn't work.

ATF+4 is fine, factory fill is Dexron.

WickedShelby88
08-12-2007, 11:43 PM
that sucks, but I know a guy who will be parting an RC soon that I can get the steering box and hubs from if I need them. This is a 2 bbl which is all that was offered in the 318 for 84 RC's. Other 2 engine choices were 360 2 and 4 barrels. A slant 6 was offered, but I can't imagine using one of those in a truck this big.
Lean burn had a vacuum leak which I fixed today so I'm going to see how it runs tomorrow. I will go ahead and track down a vacuum advance dist., mechanical idle kickdown for the carb, and an orange box module. I think a blaster 2 coil wouldn't hurt either. The original has 145k and the tune-up parts seem pretty ratty.

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2007, 03:18 AM
Sounds like a plan. I've swapped a few over from LB to normal and what a difference.

The carb could need a bit of a tune-up, have you checked the throttle shaft for wear?

dodge80_89
08-13-2007, 03:26 AM
Like Simon said you can get the steering coupler rebuild kits from Dodge, if I remember correctly they are about $60, I just rebuilt one in my '89 RC a few months back. The actual housing goes for about $80 and there is only a few left because dodge in all it's greatness discontinued it. (I mean c'mon it's a part that wears out every 10k miles or so)

Or you could get one of these http://www.borgeson.com/TruckProductDodge.htm, kinda spendy but if you plan on keeping the thing, it'll pay for itself.

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2007, 03:46 AM
Like Simon said you can get the steering coupler rebuild kits from Dodge, if I remember correctly they are about $60, I just rebuilt one in my '89 RC a few months back. The actual housing goes for about $80 and there is only a few left because dodge in all it's greatness discontinued it. (I mean c'mon it's a part that wears out every 10k miles or so)

Or you could get one of these http://www.borgeson.com/TruckProductDodge.htm, kinda spendy but if you plan on keeping the thing, it'll pay for itself.

Yeah, Borgeson rocks, if your keeping it, worth every penny, :nod:

WickedShelby88
08-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Thats sweet. I'm going to invest in that piece. So will disableing lean burn improve fuel mileage. I know it needs a carb rebuild in a bad way. But thats easy as could be and I can always get the throttle shaft rebushed cheap enough.

Spraynlog
08-14-2007, 03:12 PM
I have an '85 that I have gone thru quite a bit, as I have owned it for 13 years.
The 4wd system is vacuum controlled, and you may find a broken vacuum line.
Mine runs from the distributor at the back of the motor down the bellhousing to a vacuum reservoir bulb under the vehicle. These lines get exposed to a lot of road debris/heat and may be rotted.

For ignition I am running an Orange box with an Accel super coil and Borgwarner Nascar spiral wound wires. The Lean Burn system is known to be poor stuff, I'd ditch it.

WickedShelby88
08-18-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't see a vacuum reservoir anywhere and the line isn't on the diagram although I do notice my truck has poor vacuum going to the climate control so a leak might explain my high idle at times among other things.

turbovanmanČ
08-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah, it could help but with those thirsty old V8's, who knows. Like I said earlier, you should be able to get around 12-13 mpg, :(

Orange box, AURORA wires and you'll be golden, :lol:

WickedShelby88
08-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah well my dads old 72 monaco was getting 18 on the highway with a 400 big block. Go figure. I'm thinking of getting his old motor and trans.