PDA

View Full Version : GLHS Rad fan motor

GLHS444
02-07-2006, 01:40 PM
The original fan went out on my 86 S car about 5 months ago and the car is currently running with a modified 1990 Daytona fan unit.

I like the compact sive of the 1990 unit, however, it's quite odvious that it is not the orginal component that came with the GLHS.

I'm wondering what some of you other GLHS owners have used to replace the fan motor once the orginal dies out. I know the fan the local parts store want to sell me are too long and tend to come quite close to the engine block.

Anyone found a fan thats close to the right size?

Dan Boyd

Mario
02-07-2006, 02:30 PM
If you're looking for an OEM replacement, that's probably going to be tough. What you can do, is measure the size of your radiator, go on ebay, and find a radiator fan that's that exact size or a bit smaller. You can find some very slim ones that push a lot more air than the original. So you're doing two things, making it more efficient, and saving some space.

If you don't feel like dealing with ebay, I'm sure Summitt or some other big parts supplier has an array of rad. fans.

Another thing you may want to look into if you want to save even more space (if you don't have AC), is to get a push style fan (one you mount on the FRONT of the radiator). Definately have a lot more room after that and a cleaner engine bay.

mock_glh
02-14-2006, 04:12 AM
I use a 16" Hayden universal fan that I purchased at Kragen for $65 with a lifetime waranty. It fits and works great and you can't get your fingers into it when it's running. You'll have to drill holes for it but it looks super clean and gives you more room to work.:thumb:

Clay
02-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Has anyone ever tried to replace the motor on the GLHS fan?

If you could source a replacement motor, that would be the way to go.

Clay

supercrackerbox
02-15-2006, 06:06 PM
I did a little digging in my spare time when I worked a the parts store. I wouldn't say I exhausted every option, but it would seem the factory 'pancake' motor is unavailable. However, I wonder if it's not something you could take into a shop that repairs electrical motors (such as alternators and starters) and have the factory one rebuilt?

Clay
02-15-2006, 06:48 PM
oh, it could probalby be built, but I bet if you went to an electrical supply house with the motor, they could either find that motor, OR find an exact (or close enough) match.

clay

shmedley
02-15-2006, 08:16 PM
I remember reading a while ago somewhere that a fan motor from a jeep? would work. Not sure on that though. I am using a aftermarket fan when I get my SC converted.