PDA

View Full Version : changing Cams

TeddyZ
02-07-2006, 10:47 AM
one of my lobes has a nick due to a bad rocker. whats all involved in a cam change? do i have to machine the head for the cam? the cam is out of a 91 2.2 TBI non turbo, and i have a turbo 2.5 in my 90 shadow. will this cam work for me?
plz help
thanks
TeddyZ

Murphy
02-07-2006, 01:37 PM
That cam should work for you. N/A cams work in turbo cars. As long as everything is good now, no gouges or bad rockers you just swap it right in. I always detorque and retorque the cams in sequence.

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2006, 01:43 PM
The cam will work, probably has a tad more duration.

Its really simple, set your engine at TDC, make sure cam mark on sprocket is at 12 oclock and you mark the rotor to HEP using a marker.. Undo the cam sprocket and slide off the sprocket and move the belt out of the way. Remove the valve cover. Undo the 13mm bolts starting at the ends and working into the middle, a little at a time. You might have to tap off the end caps as there sealed to the block. Remove the caps and keep in order although they are marked. Remove the cam and discard. Clean off the sealing material on the head and end caps. REplace the cam seal and end cap. Lay the cam on the head with the keyway facing up. Install the center caps but leave the end ones off. Gently tighten down until snug. Get some anerobic sealer, install the oil seal and cup into the head. Put some sealer on the end caps mating surface to block-around the seal area. Install and tighten down making sure seals and cup stay square. Tighten all fasteners, assembly is the reverse. Install cam pulley with timing belt attached, make sure all marks are lined up and carefully slide pulley onto cam nose, you might have to move engine slightly using the alternator pulley. Turn over using the crank pulley-plugs removed will be easier and verify marks match. If not slide off pulley and realign. DONE.

TeddyZ
02-08-2006, 01:30 AM
The cam will work, probably has a tad more duration.

Its really simple, set your engine at TDC, make sure cam mark on sprocket is at 12 oclock and you mark the rotor to HEP using a marker.. Undo the cam sprocket and slide off the sprocket and move the belt out of the way. Remove the valve cover. Undo the 13mm bolts starting at the ends and working into the middle, a little at a time. You might have to tap off the end caps as there sealed to the block. Remove the caps and keep in order although they are marked. Remove the cam and discard. Clean off the sealing material on the head and end caps. REplace the cam seal and end cap. Lay the cam on the head with the keyway facing up. Install the center caps but leave the end ones off. Gently tighten down until snug. Get some anerobic sealer, install the oil seal and cup into the head. Put some sealer on the end caps mating surface to block-around the seal area. Install and tighten down making sure seals and cup stay square. Tighten all fasteners, assembly is the reverse. Install cam pulley with timing belt attached, make sure all marks are lined up and carefully slide pulley onto cam nose, you might have to move engine slightly using the alternator pulley. Turn over using the crank pulley-plugs removed will be easier and verify marks match. If not slide off pulley and realign. DONE.
to late man, the head was cracked, got a new head from the wreckersnoticed the rocker and cam lobe was scratched/nicked. but the head was the best i have seen and pulled in the last month. 8 heads to be exact. bs on the lucky 3 lol

when changing the cam should i change the lifters as well and all rockers. when i got the cam i got the rockers and lifters off the 2.2. its still roller

turbovanmanČ
02-08-2006, 01:52 AM
to late man, the head was cracked, got a new head from the wreckersnoticed the rocker and cam lobe was scratched/nicked. but the head was the best i have seen and pulled in the last month. 8 heads to be exact. bs on the lucky 3 lol

when changing the cam should i change the lifters as well and all rockers. when i got the cam i got the rockers and lifters off the 2.2. its still roller

Bummer on the heads, :(

If the engine was quiet, then don't change the lifters. Spin the rollers, if there smooth and not pitted, leave them.