PDA

View Full Version : 1 small turbo, 1 large(er) turbo.

mark
08-09-2007, 12:45 PM
im brain storming a way to use a small turbo, like a stock mitsu and a larger turbo 50 trim together...

i got the gears spinning in my head, and not have them be inline of each other, but run parallel, have the 50 running all the time, and have the mitsu spin up and use a wastegate valve to cut it it's intake once the system hits 10psi. so the mitsu wont overspin when the 50 trim goes to 25+ pounds. or is overspin not an issue?

ive seen the twin turbo shadow page, but i never bookmarked it,

just trying to think of a way to take two different turbos, and optimize their good points to work together. would something like this be somewhat of a performance increase, to bring up boost faster or is it just a waste of time...

MiniMopar
08-09-2007, 01:16 PM
The RX7 did something like this. Controlling the little turbo is tricky, because it will make the big turbo surge as it tries to spool up. You need some kind of check valve or mixing valve or something.

You don't see it often in practice and I think the complexity is the reason. One turbo will always be more efficient than two.

This is what the VNT tried to solve.

BadAssPerformance
08-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Double trouble's shadow used two mitsus in parallel... a little/big setup would want to be squential which is much more plumbing. Neat idea but sounds like a ton of work for the payback.