PDA

View Full Version : Cam belt?

W.P._Turbocars
08-09-2007, 10:36 AM
My duster took a crap on me the other day and I have no idea where else to look.

Sooo...
I was on my way to work and my car wouldn't start at the gas station. I popped the hood and the battery was looking like it was about to explode, so I went and got a new one, put it in and started driving to go to work and the volt gauge was through the roof. I stopped and picked up a new one and it drove fine the rest of the way to work.

I was driving home and noticed it smelled like someone using a blowtorch and it didn't have any power at all. Worse than normal by far. I pulled over and popped the hood and the exauhst manny and pipe was BRIGHT orange. (It actually got hot enough to melt down the pipe. No joke.

We trailered it home the next day, drove it on and off the trailer and around the block with no problems, except no power or response.

I checked the back of the exauhst to see if it was a plugged cat and it had enough pressure to blow my hand off the pipe, so I ruled that out. I noticed the belt on the driver's side of the cam is completely missing.

What exactly is that part called/what's it do? I am guessing some kind of spark advance box, but I know nothing about carbed cars.

Please help. I miss driving the duster.
Gary

Turbodave
08-09-2007, 12:31 PM
So this is a carbed duster? Most of the carb cars have an air pump that is driven off a pulley on the drivers side of the cam, it sounds like that's your missing belt.

It sounds like a timing issue if the exhaust is getting red on a non-turbo car.

W.P._Turbocars
08-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah it's carb'd. Think maybe a comuter problem with 3 bad regulators in 2 months? I replaced it all, alternator, battery reg's. any ideas?

turbovanmanČ
08-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Yeah it's carb'd. Think maybe a comuter problem with 3 bad regulators in 2 months? I replaced it all, alternator, battery reg's. any ideas?

The reg is inside the computer so if your having issues, maybe bad rebuilds or used parts. Add an external reg and use a Nippo alt.

The belt missing is for the air pump, many run without so thats not it. If the manifold is red hot, check ig timing, cam timing, carb for being to rich or plugged exhaust.

Turbodave
08-09-2007, 03:22 PM
The reg is inside the computer so if your having issues, maybe bad rebuilds or used parts. Add an external reg and use a Nippo alt.

I don't have much experience with the carb cars, but I think both of my rampages have external regulators on them from the factory, thought all the carb cars did.

turbovanmanČ
08-09-2007, 05:15 PM
I don't have much experience with the carb cars, but I think both of my rampages have external regulators on them from the factory, thought all the carb cars did.

Whorse's old GLH had an internal reg, I believe his was around 84/85?

W.P._Turbocars
08-10-2007, 06:06 AM
Reg is on the firewall on the pass side. I'll check cam timing when I get a chance. I hope that's all it needs. I just don't see the car putting out enough power to jump the belt... must have loosened up. hmmm... will check it out. Thanks guys.

turbovanmanČ
08-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Reg is on the firewall on the pass side. I'll check cam timing when I get a chance. I hope that's all it needs. I just don't see the car putting out enough power to jump the belt... must have loosened up. hmmm... will check it out. Thanks guys.

Power has nothing to do with it, ;)

Age, cold, wear, being loose etc can cause it to jump.

W.P._Turbocars
08-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Power has nothing to do with it, ;)

Age, cold, wear, being loose etc can cause it to jump.

I know. I just like to try to think it jumped due to massive power. HAHAHA

W.P._Turbocars
08-14-2007, 07:23 AM
I checked the timing belt a little bit ago and it was off by quite a few teeth. I fixed that and now am still getting the "blowtorch" smell I was getting like when the manifold got super hot. Seems to be putting out quite a bit of pressure out the tailpipe... leaving me to think the cat isn't plugged.

Sooo... what could be causing the smell? Now that the car is timed, it's not getting very hot under the hood, so that seems to be taken care of, but the smell keeps getting stronger the more you drive it.

ShadowFromHell
08-14-2007, 10:03 AM
I bad cat will still smell...

cut it out!

turbovanmanČ
08-19-2007, 06:03 PM
I bad cat will still smell...

cut it out!

No, bad carb or fuel injection will make it smell.

The cat could be melted causing a restriction, I would drop the DP and see what happens.