PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Condensor for FMIC placement?

J&H Ryan
02-07-2006, 01:44 AM
I want to put a FMIC in the SL. I'll have a modded head, intake, and 3" exhuast with stock IC...dumb. BUT it has A/C, that works, that I don't want to lose. I don't want to cut up the sheetmetal on the front of a numbered car either.

Is there a condensor that only covers the rad and not the IC? Was planning to just run the pipes where the stock IC is, then remembered about the A/C.

JDAWG
02-07-2006, 10:34 AM
I hear that honda ones are smaller, and will fit in there but of course if you unhook the lines freon goes bye bye

looneytuner
02-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Go to single headlights, run pipes through inner headlight holes, mod an extra set of headlight bezels to look good. ????????? You could make adapter wiring to plug into harness for dual beam lights. No irreversible mods to car.

Mario
02-07-2006, 02:35 PM
You could also mount it upside down. I installed my old GLH's intercooler that way.

|===========|
|===========|
|===========|
|===========|
|===========|
\/__________\/

Where the \/'s are, those are the inlet's/outlet's. They are close to the bottom of the rad. core support. Then you simply route the plumbing underneath.

Also, I'm not sure what the front of your Lancer looks like, but when you take out the stock intercooler, that gives you a lot of room to route plumbing. Can't you just mount the intercooler in front of the condensor?

Turbodave
02-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Ryan, try a condensor from a similar era chrysler minivan. The vans mount the radiator and condensor side by side and use a condensor that is taller and narrower than what's in the cars.

J&H Ryan
02-07-2006, 04:28 PM
You could also mount it upside down. I installed my old GLH's intercooler that way.

|===========|
|===========|
|===========|
|===========|
|===========|
\/__________\/

Where the \/'s are, those are the inlet's/outlet's. They are close to the bottom of the rad. core support. Then you simply route the plumbing underneath.

Also, I'm not sure what the front of your Lancer looks like, but when you take out the stock intercooler, that gives you a lot of room to route plumbing. Can't you just mount the intercooler in front of the condensor?

Thats an idea - wonder how much ground clearance I would have...

I want to mount it infront of the condensor...but then how do you get the piping through the condensor in front of where the IC was?

Thanks Dave, thats what I was thinking, I just thought that he caravan ones were super tall to make up for their lack of width.

Mario
02-07-2006, 04:38 PM
I want to mount it infront of the condensor...but then how do you get the piping through the condensor in front of where the IC was?

I'm a bit confused by your statement..

Does the condensor block airflow to your stock IC right now? If it DOESN'T, then all you have to do is take out the stocker and that's your opening for plumbing. If the condesor DOES block airflow to the stock IC, then just move the condensor over a few inches...unless you don't have any room.

J&H Ryan
02-07-2006, 04:43 PM
The condensor is the same width as a TI radiator - covering the IC and rad on a TII car. Once you remove the IC, you still have the condensor there. They didn't make a smaller condensor for TII cars that I'm aware of.

Turbodave
02-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Ryan, the Caravan coolers are taller, but not super tall. Some airflow through the condensor may be blocked by the lower part of the core support, but it shouldn't be so tall that it hangs down beneath it or anything.