PDA

View Full Version : Code 43???

GLHSKEN
08-08-2007, 07:08 PM
K... Minimopar site says it will stall immediatly.. Nope. Did a mini diagnostic (disconnected the battery) Code 43 comes up immediatly.. What does the majority think?? Coil pack or SBEC??

Are either item still available??

turbovanmanČ
08-08-2007, 07:38 PM
You can get SBEC's rebuilt from the dealer I think, coil packs are from the dealer or aftermarket but are expensive. Best bet is use a Neon coil pack and splice in the connector, mucho cheaper and you can run the MSD pack, ;)

Coil resistance between cylinders 1+4 and 2+3 is 11,600-15,800 ohms measured at the coil towers.

Primary spec is .52-.63 so basically, your probing the power wire in the coil connector to either of the pins and measuring. Check for 12 volts on the harness side to figure out which wire is what. You should get 12 volts when you first turn the key on, if alot lower, then the SBEC is most likely at fault.

GLHSKEN
08-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks bro...

MiniMopar
08-09-2007, 12:25 AM
The meaning behind the code 43 is probably different for the SBEC.

turbovanmanČ
08-09-2007, 12:29 AM
The meaning behind the code 43 is probably different for the SBEC.

My books show the TIII and its the same code for all turbo models, :nod:

iTurbo
08-09-2007, 12:42 AM
My OTC 4000E describes code 43 as "Ignition Control Interface". Basically there is a problem with either the coil pack or the wiring to/from the SBEC. I have been able to deliberately set code 43 by unplugging the coil on my R/T while it's running. Check the connector for corrosion or loose fitting pins.

MiniMopar
08-09-2007, 12:46 AM
That sounds about right. With a dizzy, it's just one transistor that charges the coil and then collapses it. The code 43 says it failed a simple electrical sanity check. The coil pack driver is more sophisticated, so I imagine the diagnostic on it is also more sophisticated.

That's what I meant about the meaning being different.

turbovanmanČ
08-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Gotcha, :nod:

GLHSKEN
08-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Sounds like folks are leaning towards the coil pack or connection to it.... Thanks a lot. Help appreciated!!

GLHSKEN
08-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Pulled connectors and checked. Jared, who had the car was good. Plug to coil pack had Di-electric grease.. Smart. Resistance between both sets was 14200. Not the issue there. Pulled the sbec plug, Hmmm... looks like a few pins have a slight bit of corrosion. a toothbrush later, plugged it in, fired it up, no code set. I'll need to pull the connection later and grease it after it is confirmed.

Now for sonny boy to drive it today. If it passes that test, maybe he and I will cruise up to the Mopar nats tomorrow to see the FWD quick 8 shootout with the daytona (I would have felt funny cruising up in the pontiac.

Oh Well. I will now have a spare SBEC and coil pack on the "shelf" for down the road.

Thanks evereyone (especially my "lil buddy" Simon) for the help.

turbovanmanČ
08-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Pulled connectors and checked. Jared, who had the car was good. Plug to coil pack had Di-electric grease.. Smart. Resistance between both sets was 14200. Not the issue there. Pulled the sbec plug, Hmmm... looks like a few pins have a slight bit of corrosion. a toothbrush later, plugged it in, fired it up, no code set. I'll need to pull the connection later and grease it after it is confirmed.

Now for sonny boy to drive it today. If it passes that test, maybe he and I will cruise up to the Mopar nats tomorrow to see the FWD quick 8 shootout with the daytona (I would have felt funny cruising up in the pontiac.

Oh Well. I will now have a spare SBEC and coil pack on the "shelf" for down the road.

Thanks evereyone (especially my "lil buddy" Simon) for the help.

Glad it was something simple, ;)

What coil pack did you end up buying? a TIII one or Neon one?

Your welcome, anytime, :nod:

Gonna check out our Import Invasion tommorrow that I was supposed to race the van in, :(

GLHSKEN
08-11-2007, 04:21 PM
TIII coil from rock auto.

turbovanmanČ
08-11-2007, 04:26 PM
TIII coil from rock auto.

How much?

GLHSKEN
08-11-2007, 04:30 PM
They had 2 the acdelco was $175... the other one (airtex) was $108. I bought the airtex

turbovanmanČ
08-11-2007, 05:29 PM
$108, good deal. :D

Scottmon
08-13-2007, 08:49 AM
They had 2 the acdelco was $175... the other one (airtex) was $108. I bought the airtex

Ken, I sure hope Rock Auto sends you the right coil. Most parts stores are notorious for listing wrong parts for TIIIs.