PDA

View Full Version : NADA Values for #'d Shelby Vehicles

DC Turismo
08-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Here are the NADA Values (http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5005-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5006&c=7&z=15438&m=1349&da=-1) as of 08/2007:

1986 Omni GLHS
Original MSRP: $10,995
Low Retail ............. Average Retail Value ........... High Retail
Base Price
$3,425 ........................... $5,325 .................... $11,200

TOTAL PRICE
$3,425 ........................... $5,325 .................... $11,200

1987 Charger GLHS
Original MSRP: $12,995
Base Price
$3,725 ........................... $6,325 .................... $12,950

TOTAL PRICE
$3,725 ........................... $6,325 .................... $12,950

1987 Shelby CSX
Original MSRP: $14,995
Base Price
$3,025 ........................... $5,025 .................... $10,150

TOTAL PRICE
$3,025 ........................... $5,025 .................... $10,150

1987 Shelby Lancer
Original MSRP: $16,995
Base Price
$2,725 ........................... $4,450 .................... $8,750

TOTAL PRICE
$2,725 ........................... $4,450 .................... $8,750

1988 Shelby CSX-T
Original MSRP: N/A
Base Price
$1,925 ........................... $3,100 .................... $6,700

TOTAL PRICE
$1,925 ........................... $3,100 .................... $6,700

1989 Shelby CSX-VNT
Original MSRP: $15,995
Base Price
$4,400 ........................... $7,025 .................... $14,050

Options >> Recaro Seats: Add 5%

TOTAL PRICE
$4,400 ........................... $7,025 .................... $14,050
TOTAL PRICE w/Recaros
$4,620 ........................... $7,376 .................... $14,753

1989 Shelby Dakota
Original MSRP: N/A
Base Price
$4,250 ........................... $6,275 .................... $13,400

TOTAL PRICE
$4,250 ........................... $6,275 .................... $13,400

Turbodave
08-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Made this a sticky, I wish my cars were nice enough to quailfy for even the "low" retail value.

CSX321
08-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Me, too. Could be important for insurance purposes, though.

raccoon
08-07-2007, 04:23 PM
when was the last time you saw any TD go for 10k or more?

the new stuff dont count!

DC Turismo
08-07-2007, 05:24 PM
It surprises me that the Charger GLHS' are worth more than the 86 Omni GLHS'.

Turbodave
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM

I was thinking the same thing. 86 GLHS' and 89 CSX's are always the most valuable in my mind.

DC Turismo
08-07-2007, 05:43 PM
I was thinking the same thing. 86 GLHS' and 89 CSX's are always the most valuable in my mind.

Same here, both for having only 500 made of each as well as being the first and last of his #'d car run. Perhaps the people at NADA are still thinking 'eh, it's still an Omni' :lol:

Marcus86GLHS
08-07-2007, 05:53 PM
how can NADA ever get it wrong? they have a 100% perfect record of nailing collector car prices.

GLHS592
08-07-2007, 06:06 PM

It doesn't surprise me at all.

CSX321
08-07-2007, 06:12 PM
It almost but not quite entirely unsurprises me.

My wife says I can quote or paraphase something from Hitchhiker's Guide for any occasion.

GLHSKEN
08-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Or me... Looks DO count ;)

GLHS592
08-07-2007, 06:52 PM
The 1986 GLHS is the only Whittier car that I can see being worth more than the 1987 GLHS since they were the 1st and fewer were made. However, you guys gotta realize that 2 door sporty looking cars are WAY more popular in the automotive enthusiast market as a whole than souped up 4 door econo-boxes. Our little niche is the only one I know of where minivans and 4 doors are popular. Face it, we're the minority of the automotive enthusiasts.

The GLHS cars both should be hands down more popular than the rest and they ARE. The L-body cars just have something different that's more appealing. I think it is the crudeness and the plain black wrapper that appeals to people. The CSX cars and Lancer are just too refined.

CoolV300C
08-07-2007, 09:56 PM
And only the minority of the automotive minorities consider the p body too refined.

DC Turismo
08-07-2007, 11:18 PM
The 1986 GLHS is the only Whittier car that I can see being worth more than the 1987 GLHS since they were the 1st and fewer were made. However, you guys gotta realize that 2 door sporty looking cars are WAY more popular in the automotive enthusiast market as a whole than souped up 4 door econo-boxes. Our little niche is the only one I know of where minivans and 4 doors are popular. Face it, we're the minority of the automotive enthusiasts.

The GLHS cars both should be hands down more popular than the rest and they ARE. The L-body cars just have something different that's more appealing. I think it is the crudeness and the plain black wrapper that appeals to people. The CSX cars and Lancer are just too refined.

First time ever that I think I disagree with you Kev! :p

There were 1000 GLHS Chargers produced, which is a respectable low number, but not as low as the 86 GLHS, nor the sought after P-bodies (87 - 750 and 89 500).

In addition, Shelby Chargers were produced from 83 to 87 in a range of color schemes. Although none were intercooled, one may compare them with the 87 GLHS; whereas the CSX's are completely unique in terms of color schemes and drivetrains. If you didn't get your hands on one of those, you'd have to settle for at best a turbo Shadow. If you didn't get your hands on a GLHS Charger, you could still settle for a Shelby Charger.

A GLHS Charger is one of my dream cars don't get me wrong, but I would put it at fourth on the list behind the 1. 86 GLHS 2. 89 CSX 3. 87 CSX 4. Charger GLHS

I do agree with the 2 door as being the market in this hobby, which is why I still don't understand Chrysler's opt out of the 99 Charger concept but that's another rant altogether.

That's just my opinion. This sure makes for fun discussion though!

1FastCSX289
08-07-2007, 11:26 PM
when was the last time you saw any TD go for 10k or more?

the new stuff dont count!

Yea, id like to know where those figures come from because from what ive seen, few fetch close to average retail and I dont think ive ever heard of an 89 CSX coming close to 14k. Im not gonna argue. I would love for the price to jump, but I think NADA is a bit off from the real world where its hard to get 3500 for a Shelby unless its absolutely immaculate.

GLHS592
08-08-2007, 08:06 AM
First time ever that I think I disagree with you Kev! :p

Well, then you must be pretty darn smart. :p

There were 1000 GLHS Chargers produced, which is a respectable low number, but not as low as the 86 GLHS, nor the sought after P-bodies (87 - 750 and 89 500).

The Shelby P bodies are fairly hard to sell. Just look around. I see more of those cars being parted out. I've only noticed here recently the renewed interest in the 1989 CSX.

In addition, Shelby Chargers were produced from 83 to 87 in a range of color schemes. Although none were intercooled, one may compare them with the 87 GLHS; whereas the CSX's are completely unique in terms of color schemes and drivetrains. If you didn't get your hands on one of those, you'd have to settle for at best a turbo Shadow. If you didn't get your hands on a GLHS Charger, you could still settle for a Shelby Charger.

I think the point you just stated works in favor of the 1987 GLHS. The Charger GLHS was a one year only car. The GLHS cars were different cars. They have about 95% common parts, but one was a 2 door and the other a 4 door. You can argue that the CSX cars were different each year. But, the 1987 and 1988 were the same except for colors and an intercooler. The 1989 CSX is the only one that has a chance as being worth as much as either GLHS, but it still has alot in common with the other two CSX cars.

A GLHS Charger is one of my dream cars don't get me wrong, but I would put it at fourth on the list behind the 1. 86 GLHS 2. 89 CSX 3. 87 CSX 4. Charger GLHS

That's fine. I prefer the above cars in this order: 4-1-3-2 using your numbers. How many people feel the same as you? How many feel the same as I. As long as I can remember, the 1986 & 1987 GLHS cars have been way more popular than the CSX cars. For the longest time, the 1986 GLHS was by far the most popular. In recent years, I've noticed the 1987 GLHS being more popular. I think the NADA prices reflect this.

I do agree with the 2 door as being the market in this hobby, which is why I still don't understand Chrysler's opt out of the 99 Charger concept but that's another rant altogether.

That's why the 1987 GLHS is more popular than the 1986 GLHS. I can tell you from experience at car shows and discussions with car people that most people, in the real world, like the Charger better than the Omni. Only in our community do 4 doors and minivans even get considered. People on my local forum just laugh at the minivan thing.

That's just my opinion. This sure makes for fun discussion though!

It's good that we all don't like the same thing. As long as people don't get mad because I like Coke better than Pepsi, I'm fine.

Turbodave
08-08-2007, 09:54 AM
That's why the 1987 GLHS is more popular than the 1986 GLHS. I can tell you from experience at car shows and discussions with car people that most people, in the real world, like the Charger better than the Omni. Only in our community do 4 doors and minivans even get considered. People on my local forum just laugh at the minivan thing.

If I had to rate them in the order I wanted to get them in it would be:
1. 86 GLHS
2. 87 GLHS
3. 89 CSX
4. 89 Dakota
5. 88 CSX-T
6. 87 CSX
7. 87 Lancer

But that's just my opinion. I agree with Kevin that most people in the real world like the 87 GLHS best, it's got the sexiest look of all the numbered cars. However, like many in the community the 86 is still my favorite.

The 89 CSX's are great, and I would love to find a nice recaro seat equipped one eventually.

I think the 88 CSX-T's are undervalued as a whole. While they didn't get the performance parts, they have the neat rental car history that goes with them. I like the white on grey color combo also. The 87 CSX's are faster and rarer, no doubt, but I like the 88's better personally.

Yea, id like to know where those figures come from because from what ive seen, few fetch close to average retail and I dont think ive ever heard of an 89 CSX coming close to 14k. Im not gonna argue. I would love for the price to jump, but I think NADA is a bit off from the real world where its hard to get 3500 for a Shelby unless its absolutely immaculate.

If you look at what the nada consider's a "low" value car, it's pretty much what most of us consider a nice car. Most of the cars that change hands on these boards are beneath the nada "low" in both condition and value.

Marcus86GLHS
08-09-2007, 06:50 AM
imagine a Barrett-Jackson type auction, held today, and up on the block is exactly one example of every shelby dodge car to come out of whittier....all have only 1 mile on them, each one has been sealed since new and never driven or registered, and each one is literally in 100% perfect condition.

which one would command the highest bid?

if i was to guess, the 86 GLHS would go for the highest, the Dakota truck the lowest, and the rest of them would be sorta tightly grouped.

sdac guy
08-09-2007, 07:15 AM
imagine a Barrett-Jackson type auction, held today, and up on the block is exactly one example of every shelby dodge car to come out of whittier....all have only 1 mile on them, each one has been sealed since new and never driven or registered, and each one is literally in 100% perfect condition.

if i was to guess, the 86 GLHS would go for the highest, the Dakota truck the lowest, and the rest of them would be sorta tightly grouped.

I pretty much agree with what you've said here. We have a pretty good sized classified ad section in our newsletter. The ONLY cars to really move quick are the 86 S cars. Folks say they like the Charger S better (like at car shows), but the 86 S sells quicker. The rest are pretty much the same in that currently it is a buyers market (for the most part).

As far as value goes in the marketplace the 86 wins that one. A few 86 S cars have been sold for more than 10K, a few more have been sold for more than 8K but from what I have seen, those numbers are yet to be reached by the other models. And there are a lot of 86 S cars that change hands for the low NADA value or more. And for sure there are a lot of them that go for less than that too.

Barry

GLHS592
08-09-2007, 12:38 PM

You might be right about the 1986 GLHS going for the highest. I don't think the 1987 GLHS would be grouped with the others. I think it would be much closer to the 1986 GLHS than it would be to the others. I'm certain it would be the GLHS cars at the very top with the 1989 CSX in between and the rest grouped together at the bottom. Of course, the Dakota might fool you. It is rear wheel drive and v-8 powered. A guy collecting Dodge trucks might give some big money for a low mileage Dakota.

Marcus86GLHS
08-09-2007, 12:51 PM
good point. also i would be interested in knowing this:

in the past 7 years, what is the highest price PAID for each of the whittier cars/trucks.

the answer that question alone would be very revealing.

CSX321
08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Of course, the Dakota might fool you. It is rear wheel drive and v-8 powered. A guy collecting Dodge trucks might give some big money for a low mileage Dakota.
And I think there have been a couple of low-mileage Dakotas go for $9K or more in the last 5 years or so. If I remember right, SuperDave sold one with less than 10K miles on it for around that.

CSX321
08-09-2007, 12:57 PM
good point. also i would be interested in knowing this:

in the past 7 years, what is the highest price PAID for each of the whittier cars/trucks.

the answer that question alone would be very revealing.
The Birthday Car doesn't really count, exactly, but it sold recently for $15K, didn't it? Worth it, IMO!

Marcus86GLHS
08-09-2007, 03:01 PM
15K for a dakota? that is fantastic. of course the shelby dakotas were not fwd turbo cars, so in fairness to the appraisal process that should be considered.

and i was assuming cars w/ equal pedigree and no "special history".......

for example: if carroll drove and raced say a 1987 csx, and it was documented, then wow what a premium that car would fetch. but you would not include that sale in the 1987 csx price calculation.

stereo
09-26-2007, 04:04 PM
I know I'm kinda late jumping in on this conversation, but you gotta think outside the boxs. look at the different interior options their were. 86 S cars got the ugly plain old seats that were the same design as all the other omnis out there, but the 87 got the custom shelby interior, sunroof, and a better sound system if I'm correct.

GLHS592
09-26-2007, 06:49 PM
I don't think the sound system was any better in the 1987 GLHS. It had the AM/FM/cassette. The 1986 GLHS had the same thing didn't it?

GLHSKEN
09-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Yes it did. And both cars got the SAME interior as their plain jane cousins

DC Turismo
09-26-2007, 07:50 PM
It still boggles my mind how many Shelby Dakotas change hands on eBay.

Interior options may play a role, but 89s were the only ones that were extra special (Dakota and CSX both). All the rest were left plain jane as Ken said.

turbokid
11-18-2007, 11:46 AM
idk the 87 has a pretty nice sound system... comparable to todays. WE plugged my ipod into the tape player and played some pretty good music on the way to a charger meet and the bass was pretty respectable. IMO the 87 is the car that will continue to climb in the buyers eyes being a 2-door. My friends love the look of our 87 GLHS (in the Range from 16-18 years old) and if it was an Omni GLHS I think they would laugh

SpiritedShelbys
03-07-2008, 06:54 PM
hmm.. sounds like you guys' experiences are different than mine.. People here laugh at all of them until I either give them a ride in or race them. I can't recall a single time it's been any other way. Even people who recognize them still say " come on.. it's a dodge with stickers.."

'87 GLH-S
'87 S-Lancer
'89 CSX
'05 SRT-4

bradp
03-07-2008, 07:18 PM
hmm.. sounds like you guys' experiences are different than mine.. People here laugh at all of them until I either give them a ride in or race them. I can't recall a single time it's been any other way. Even people who recognize them still say " come on.. it's a dodge with stickers.."

'87 GLH-S
'87 S-Lancer
'89 CSX
'05 SRT-4

Impound stickers from it being broken down on the side of the road....:lol: Just kidding

Turbodave
03-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Impound stickers from it being broken down on the side of the road....:lol: Just kidding

Those are like the automotive equivalent of prison tatoo's :D

DC Turismo
03-08-2008, 01:00 AM
If anything just say "Yeah, they come from the Dodge factory with 'Stickers' ..... Shelby stickers, along with a turbo/intercooled powerplant that is quicker in the 1/4 than most cars stock today. Your car came from the factory as a P.O.S. so you felt the need to go to PepBoys and get some NOS stickers and a fartcan to try to make it something. My car IS something. Your car is ghetto."

:lol:

SpiritedShelbys
03-08-2008, 01:54 AM
LOL well out of my cars the only one with a bad track record is the GLH-S. Mine is a low miles original and I've got a file folder an inch think with repair receipts from the guy I bought it from (original owner). My S-Lancer has been through hell and has a bunch of miles but seems to be mechanically ok so far but then again I've only had it for a few weeks. I've had more problems with my '05 SRT-4 than I have with my '89 CSX. The CSX has been dramatically BY FAR, the most trouble-free car I've ever had. I've never babied that car either but then again it was another 1 owner car when I got it but not particularly low miles. That's why she's getting the extent of restoration I'm giving... I never plan to part with that car. I've got the most fond memories with it and a bunch of really fun miles!

'87 GLHS #0900
'87 S-Lancer #720
'89 CSX #161
'05 SRT-4

oldgregg
05-31-2008, 01:01 AM
I pretty much agree with what you've said here. We have a pretty good sized classified ad section in our newsletter. The ONLY cars to really move quick are the 86 S cars. Folks say they like the Charger S better (like at car shows), but the 86 S sells quicker. The rest are pretty much the same in that currently it is a buyers market (for the most part).

As far as value goes in the marketplace the 86 wins that one. A few 86 S cars have been sold for more than 10K, a few more have been sold for more than 8K but from what I have seen, those numbers are yet to be reached by the other models. And there are a lot of 86 S cars that change hands for the low NADA value or more. And for sure there are a lot of them that go for less than that too.

BarryA bit late to the party, but what you just wrote nails it that the 86's sell quicker, but it's in OUR market.

But I'd like to know if it's so popular, why does it change hands so much?

You don't see Charger S's changing hands as much becasue the owners keep them!

All my pals (even the asian ones who love the imports obviously!) when I show them pics of the GLHS cars (& the ones who've seen mine) like the 87 over the 86 all day long due to its sporty look.

Sometimes the "rarity" is not the issue, but as was previoulsy said, looks come more into play than anything else.

csx#516
01-17-2009, 01:31 PM

perfect dream I would bid high on all and have all :nod:

WickedShelby88
04-08-2009, 02:48 AM
No love for the CSX-T.

WLKivett
04-08-2009, 09:13 AM
As of 4/09 it looks like values are up 8-10 across the board.

Vigo
04-08-2009, 09:31 AM
if i could buy one out of the bunch in completely perfect condition, i would buy a shelby lancer. I really think that car was more of the total package than either the S cars or the dakota. The 89 csx vnt imo is probably the MOST desireable one in my mind.

but my personal choice would be the shelby lancer based on looks, and my love of fast 4 doors.

or if i found a super secret one-off 4door 87 csx i suppose i may take that. :p

neonsox
04-08-2009, 09:39 AM
if i could buy one out of the bunch in completely perfect condition, i would buy a shelby lancer. I really think that car was more of the total package than either the S cars or the dakota. The 89 csx vnt imo is probably the MOST desireable one in my mind.

but my personal choice would be the shelby lancer based on looks, and my love of fast 4 doors.

or if i found a super secret one-off 4door 87 csx i suppose i may take that. :p
+1 on the Lancer, and not just because I have one ;) Comfort and speed all in one package. 10 speakers, hatchback, 4 doors, and a nice ride balance between touring and sporty. :clap:

But unfortunately.. not as popular as the other models. As for me, I'm still a G and J-body fan even though they weren't numbered cars. When I get more room, I'll be aiming for a nice rare Daytona IROC R/T to sit next to the Lancer.

GLHS592
04-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Maybe it's time to reevaluate what I'm asking for my car. :)

DC Turismo
03-24-2010, 12:17 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47704

Updated figures as of March 2010

mopargriffin
05-11-2010, 12:32 AM
I dont know if this has been said yet but a CSX VNT went for $23,100 on Barrett Jackson in the last month!

135sohc
05-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Featured multiple times here. :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
05-11-2010, 12:34 AM
That was an 88 CSX-T

DC Turismo
04-02-2011, 01:35 AM
So for anyone who hasn't looked at the NADA site in as long of a time as I have, check out the influx in prices that these cars have gone up! Mainly, the 1987 S cars, yikes! :yikes:

Made a chart up on our website for easier reading:
https://sites.google.com/site/thesteelcityoutlaws/shelbynadareferenceguide

GLHS592
04-02-2011, 11:15 AM
So for anyone who hasn't looked at the NADA site in as long of a time as I have, check out the influx in prices that these cars have gone up! Mainly, the 1987 S cars, yikes! :yikes:

Yet, I can't sell mine. :(

DC Turismo
04-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Kev

That means its telling you that you must keep it!!! No really, I can't believe it hasn't sold either as your car is beautiful!

The NADA guides are more for insurance reference in my eyes as they definitely don't reflect real world market prices.

sy2206
04-02-2011, 02:36 PM
As always, those values are whacked. 87 GLHS worth more then the 86? Shelby Lancer worth twice what a CSX-T is worth? Dakota values the same as 86 GLHS? Lol, good luck with that...

j4278h
04-02-2011, 03:29 PM
It must be that 26xx mile 87 glhs that keeps getting flipped for around 15k that is skewing those numbers.

Marcus86GLHS
04-06-2011, 06:26 PM
"......Dakota values the same as 86 GLHS? .........."

that right there illustrates the gross errors in these listings. the Shelby trucks are the least valuable of the group no doubt about that and the 86S is the most valuable. yet they are listed as same price.....what a lame price guide.

ShelbyTC16v
06-05-2011, 03:53 PM
"......Dakota values the same as 86 GLHS? .........."

that right there illustrates the gross errors in these listings. the Shelby trucks are the least valuable of the group no doubt about that and the 86S is the most valuable. yet they are listed as same price.....what a lame price guide.

My gut feeling is that most Dakota and 87 GLHS owners are not going to feel that it is a lame price guide. I can understand 86 GLHS owners feeling the way you do. The best part is that the guide isn't the Bible. I know I have always read in the past(including the 80's)that the Charger was going to be worth more than the Omni in the long run. Personally, I wasn't wasn't always convinced of this.

Ondonti
06-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Anyone who lists a Shelby z for twice as much as Iroc R/T = fail.

ShelbyTC16v
06-06-2011, 07:11 PM

I only saw a $300 difference. Either way, doesn't matter, I agree with you.

DC Turismo
02-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Here is a spreadsheet for the latest values as of February 2012.

https://sites.google.com/site/thesteelcityoutlaws/project-blogs/shelbynadareferenceguide

Jim Falco
01-12-2013, 04:28 PM

if i was to guess, the 86 GLHS would go for the highest, the Dakota truck the lowest, and the rest of them would be sorta tightly grouped. All I know is, I'd be there bidding:thumb::thumb:

ShelbyRegistry
06-24-2018, 05:21 PM
http://www.shelbyregistry.com/nada.phtml

I keep them up to date there.

Cheers.

GLHNSLHT2
06-26-2018, 11:10 PM

I'd take the ShelbyZ over the R/T all day long. Better looking, better headlights. Better motor. Better/more comfortable seats. Just because one had 225hp stock and the other only 175 means nothing. The brakes and kframe are the only things better and those are easily retrofitted.