PDA

View Full Version : new lifters

mark
08-06-2007, 11:45 PM
ok, i think i need new lifters... but i have some questions to ask before i make a decision...

my upper end is noisy. and sometimes i can hear when a lifter isnt pumping up and it raps a little... it goes away after a few minutes...

now, my question is, by going to new lifters, is there any noticible performance gain? if they arent pumping up all the way they arent opening the valves fully correct?

Turbodave
08-07-2007, 12:08 PM
now, my question is, by going to new lifters, is there any noticible performance gain? if they arent pumping up all the way they arent opening the valves fully correct?

Your theory is correct, however don't expect a night and day difference once they are swapped. My old R/T had about 4 or 5 bad lifters, changing them got rid of the diesel sound, but I didn't notice any change in the seat of the pants feel.

mark
08-07-2007, 12:27 PM
dave, what are you running for mods? if your running a higher boost than the valves not opening fully should make a different right?

TurboRon25
08-07-2007, 02:06 PM
since we are talking about 16v's and lifters. Does anyone know if "PT" lifters will drop into a 97 SOHC neon motor?

Ron

Turbodave
08-07-2007, 03:23 PM
dave, what are you running for mods? if your running a higher boost than the valves not opening fully should make a different right?

That was on a stock car, which I sold a while ago. All 4 of my current R/T's are also stock (and broken). I would replace the bad lifter for the sake of saving the camshaft and making it quiet rather than expecting it to result in a noticeable increase in hp. I don't think the amount of boost you are running would make much of a difference one way or another.

since we are talking about 16v's and lifters. Does anyone know if "PT" lifters will drop into a 97 SOHC neon motor?

Ron

I think the SOHC uses the lifters in the tip of the rocker arm like an R/T where the DOHC and PT lifters are more conventional. It's been a while, but I do have a sohc head sitting in the barn I could look at.

SwiftTech
08-07-2007, 07:50 PM
I think the SOHC uses the lifters in the tip of the rocker arm like an R/T where the DOHC and PT lifters are more conventional. It's been a while, but I do have a sohc head sitting in the barn I could look at.

correct, the lifters on the SOHC heads are part of the rockers, I'm not even sure if they are servicable serperately, i remember replacing some a while back when I worked at a dodge dealer and they came as an assembly.

turbovanmanČ
08-07-2007, 07:52 PM
correct, the lifters on the SOHC heads are part of the rockers, I'm not even sure if they are servicable serperately, i remember replacing some a while back when I worked at a dodge dealer and they came as an assembly.

Yep, I just did a head gasket on one and there stuck in the rocker arm, I couldn't remove it. Too bad, there close in size to the RT if memory serves.