PDA

View Full Version : Rolling car without axles in, bad juju?

altered7151
02-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Well hopefully the SC is going off to paint this weekend, so I was wondering if it is bad to roll the car without the axles in. I thought it might be since I know once you install the axles properly torqued it pulls the races together, so without that axle in there it might do something goofy to the bearings. Am I right?

JeremyL
02-07-2006, 12:41 AM
I always used bolts with washers & nuts, or end pieces off old axles to keep the bearing together. If the car didn't have a drivetrain in it I might try it with nothing, but that's a good bit of weight on there if the engine/tranny is installed.

cordes
02-07-2006, 12:52 AM
You could always tie the axles up there if you are in a real bind, and then remove then when you get the car in the air again. +1 for using old axle ends though. that is what I plan on doing the next go round.

As you might have been able to tell, I would not roll it without something in there for the aforementioned reasons.

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2006, 02:07 AM
You will damage the bearings. I did it in my van, didn't take that long either, grrrrrr, lol!

iTurbo
02-13-2006, 12:11 AM
+1 on using old axle ends. I finally found a use for those old L-body axles!

altered7151
02-13-2006, 01:32 PM
+1 on using old axle ends. I finally found a use for those old L-body axles!
hehe, thats actually what I did too. Popped off the old axle ends and bolted them into the hubs. Rolled it onto the trailer for paint on saturday! Thanks for the advice guys :thumb: