PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue

forcedfedmopar
08-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Yesterday i drove the spirit around all day. it seemed to start slower and slower all day until last night where it wouldnt start at all. crank and crank but no spark. i do not have an otc. luckly i was in a down hill parking lot. i got it rolling and popped it and she started right up. When i got home i shut it off and started it right back up. This morning it would not start again.

So if im thinking correctly this is a crank sensor issue? correct me if im wrong. should i be looking in another direction?

-jeff

1FastCSX289
08-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Is this an 8V or a 16v? If its a 16v, it could be a crank sensor issue. But, I would definately want to see the output on a scope before I condemned it. Could be other things like the module, computer, wiring, etc.

If its an 8V, the first thing to check would be the HEP in the distributor.

EDIT: Re-read your post and now im confused by the "pop start" issues. Is it not cranking, or is it cranking but not starting?

So lets get some of those details out of the way before the random e-fixes come forth and you end up going in totally the wrong direction.:thumb:

Is it 16 or 8V? Is it not cranking? Or is it cranking but not firing? And if its cranking, but not firing, why would you pop start it?

88_pacifica
08-06-2007, 11:12 AM
weak coil?

LowSL2
08-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Sounds like a dead battery to me.

Turbodave
08-06-2007, 04:04 PM
So if im thinking correctly this is a crank sensor issue? correct me if im wrong. should i be looking in another direction?

-jeff

Jeff, is it cranking normal speed but just not firing over? Will it start if you hold it WOT? I'm not too familiar with the R/T cranks sensors but it could be a possibility. I remember Alan Jones talking about having to push start his Rampage for a long time due to a similar problem.

88_pacifica
08-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Jeff, is it cranking normal speed but just not firing over? Will it start if you hold it WOT? I'm not too familiar with the R/T cranks sensors but it could be a possibility. I remember Alan Jones talking about having to push start his Rampage for a long time due to a similar problem.

I was thinking the same thing... Judging by his posts I would think it's cranking fine but it "just barely" catches. Is the electrical system in general up to snuff? When was the last time for plugs, wires, etc, etc? Also how many miles are on that coil? What color is the spark when it DOES work right?

forcedfedmopar
08-06-2007, 05:57 PM
1991 spirit r/t
drive train has about 450 miles.

Seems to crank at normal speed just not firing. I pushed across the parking lot and popped it in 2nd and it started right up. drove it home and parked it. started it 2 times after that. sat all night and this morning it would just crank with no start again. i did not have time to try the push start again but im sure it will work. all electrical items are up to snuff. alt-puts out about 13.7ish running at idle. battery is fairly new. its not a charging issue.

I did try holding WOT and it would not start. I cranked it over several time before i push started it. and i did not smell and raw fuel. so i dont think the injectors were firing.

If i understand this system it need both a crank sensor and a cam sensor signal to start. but if you pop start the car it only needs the cam sensor. and that is why i was able to get home last night.

thanks for all imput, keep it coming
-jeff

GLHSKEN
08-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks for all the info guys... Storing it for future troubleshooting

88_pacifica
08-06-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm not 100% sure on this, but ironically I had the same issue with with a 93 Pontiac Grand Am I had. It WAS the Crank Sensor on that car, but I knew that GM's were notorious for this already and also that it will affect timing, fuel, everything. It is possible that the CHrysler used that same concept, but GM based everything off of the MAF versus the speed density system that was typical of Chryslers. I would think that you could test them the same way though. Do you have access to a digital multimeter?

forcedfedmopar
08-06-2007, 11:49 PM
yea i got, a DVOM i just havent had time. when i got home from work tonite it started right up. drove it around for about half an hour, got gas, lots of engine off and on with no problem. ill try it again tomorrow morning. tomorrow at work im going to clean the connections on the crank/cam sensors and make sure its all good.

-jeff

1FastCSX289
08-07-2007, 08:43 AM
I havent heard of this before. I dont know what the strategy of the computer is on that car. I suppose its possible that it only looks at the crank reference on start up, but that would be odd.

If youre going to check the crank sensor, I check it out and make sure the bolts havent loosened, allowing it to drop enough to get nicked by the flywheel. Ive seen this on dodge trucks.